• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (1 Viewer)

Looks like a Cinerous to me...

Re: the hunting. That’s nice to know Mike:t:

As for Malta. I would love to visit for the history as much as bird migration but there is no chance. The dreaded EU have not punished the Government for hunting transgressions and have given them ‘special’ arrangements to carry on hunting some species:C. I won’t bang on about it as Chris Packham has already done a high-profile job. A couple of years ago i had an ongoing spat with a certain Mifsud on Birdforum (it’s a Maltese name) the President of the shooting lobby - a smarmy nasty piece of work if ever there was. Suffice to say the hunters are related to the Police who are related to the judiciary who are related to the politicians.....

Laurie:t:

The White-headed Duck is back at Bassa de Can Guidet today (Philip Garnet) also an unseasonal Tufted Duck and 70 Little grebes and one Black-necked grebe.
Also good wader passage at Salobrar with Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Temminck’s Stint and Spotted Redshank and one Gull-billed tern. (Jasón)

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any reliable sites ln Puerto Pollensa for Scops Owl or Turtle Dove ? Would like to see some before heading home next week

Hello!
just yesterday a birder reported a Scops Owl (heard) between Duva Hotel and Síller (where the track to Cala Sant Vicenç starts).
As Stew says, where I have seen better Turtle Dove and closest place from PP it has been in Son Real.
Regards
Cristina

The salt pans at Salobrar de Campos were alive today with over 300 Avocets to greet me near the entrance, Spotted redshank, Redshank, Greenshank, Dunlin, Temminck’s Stint, Little Ringed Plover, Wood Sandpiper, Kentish Plover, Common and Green sandpipers, Curlew, two Gull-billed tern and two Common tern.
Marsh harriers and Flamingoes completed a very fine morning.
Mike

Juanjo has just seen the first autumn migrant raptor leave the Island, a Common Kestrel.
It’s worth going end of July and early August because there are a few early leavers. All the Turtle doves have gone from my road and on my last visit to the Cap, 14 Turtle doves lined the road, a sure sign that they were on their way.
Black kites and Marsh harriers are also early and a few young Rollers can sometimes be seen.
Wheatears and Woodchats also depart.
Bee-eaters come through too, sometimes in big flocks, I think 84 was my highest count.
Fly through Whimbrel sometimes go past as do some terns and Oystercatchers.
Very early is best, it gets far too hot later.
Mike

The three White storks are still showing in fields near Casa Blanca.
Salobrar de Campos is still performing well with Little and Gull-billed terns, Temminck’s stints, Whimbrel, a Black-tailed Godwit and Ruff.
Mike

Last edited:
A long drive around the Centre of the Island today produced very little. At Pla de Lanzell (near Villafranca) there were five Common Kestrel, five Red kites and two Marsh harriers.
Last year around this time I saw 28 raptors on migration, mostly Marsh harriers but a couple of Black Kite too so I guess any day now things will get more lively.
I certainly hope so, waiting is agony.
Mike

Looks like a Cinerous to me...

Re: the hunting. That’s nice to know Mike:t:

As for Malta. I would love to visit for the history as much as bird migration but there is no chance. The dreaded EU have not punished the Government for hunting transgressions and have given them ‘special’ arrangements to carry on hunting some species:C. I won’t bang on about it as Chris Packham has already done a high-profile job. A couple of years ago i had an ongoing spat with a certain Mifsud on Birdforum (it’s a Maltese name) the President of the shooting lobby - a smarmy nasty piece of work if ever there was. Suffice to say the hunters are related to the Police who are related to the judiciary who are related to the politicians.....

Laurie:t:
Hi Laurie / Mike,

I regularly visit this thread as we’ve taken family holidays on Mallorca and it’s so useful for hints / tips etc. Mike, a big thank you for running it.

I’m also a vol with BirdLife Malta (BLM) and will be returning there for my 10th stint a few days after visiting Mallorca in September. Everything you wrote about the ‘inter-connectedness’ of those involved is true of course- even worse on Gozo! However, the situation there shouldn’t stop you from visiting. Remember, that the Spring referendum showed that half the population wanted hunting in that season banned and there are many, many people that are truly fed up with not being able to enjoy their countryside without the sound of shots or being confronted by bully boy hunters. BLM have never advocated boycotting and the more people that visit and discuss the illegal activity, the better.

I’ve been shouted at on many occasions but I’ve also had locals approach and say how embarrassed they are at such behaviour and how they regard those hunters carrying out illegal activities as being outdated. BLM are doing great work in schools and that will help change culture and thinking in the future.

In the end, of course, it’s entirely your choice and I hope you don’t mind me responding to your post on here.

In any case, I’m looking forward to a good holiday on Mallorca and some cracking birding.

Thesetter11.
I quite agree, the more birders and wildlife lovers who visit the hunting hotspots, the better. It puts more pressure on the authorities. I feel sure it is viewed as outdated by many of the younger generation there which looks good for the future but in the meantime, much damage is being done.
I did meet someone in Mallorca who was heavily involved in bird protection Malta and I learnt a lot. Some great people are working hard on behalf of birds so all power to you all. I feel sure hunting will eventually be a thing of the past.
Having said that, there is to be a Bullfight in Palma this weekend after a long absence. Needless to say, lots of demonstrations are planned.
I’m all for traditions and cultural differences but there are some practices which are just not acceptable any more.
Mike

I was at the Cap before first light today but had to leave early too.
16 Turtle doves lined the approach road and a Larus fuscus was an early surprise.
I was expecting some Swifts and hirundines but the skies were empty.
I will be going as often as my circumstances allow and will post all sightings.
Mike

Two Honey Buzzard were seen at s’Albufera a couple of days ago, very early, but it does mean some migration is under way.
They would have departed from the south no doubt so it’s worth a punt at Cap de Ses Salines.
Mike

Absolutely right, Mike.

Shame about the bull fight, that’s another ‘tradition’ that is outdated and plain wrong in this day and age. Well,done to all those standing up against it.

An early morning visit to Salobrar was pretty good with a near summer-plumage Grey Plover, Temminck’s Stint, Dunlin, Ruff and a minimum of 120 Greater Flamingoes in flight. There were probably more hidden at the back of the reserve. Numbers will continue to build up towards autumn.
A Pallid Swift circled the reserve a couple of times and more Black-headed gulls have arrived.
Mike

A very rare trip to the beach today, past the other side of the salt pans, down to Es Trenc.
Lots of Common Swift on their way off the Island and one splendid juvenile Alpine Swift in with them.
Hundreds of Avocet on the pools but there was no stopping to count them on this part of the road, it’s chaos in the summer.
Our migration watch begins this weekend and I will post totals..if there are any, it’s still very early.
Mike

An early morning visit to Tucan Marsh / Marinstay yielded Squacco Heron, Night Heron, Purple Heron, 2 Little Bittern, 6+ Purple Gallinule, Whimbrel, Common and Green Sandpiper, plus a huge tight feeding flock of 160+ Little Egret.

Last edited:
Nice birds Phil, thanks.
I went to the Cap yesterday for the first full morning of the season.
It was entertaining with just a few Common Swift and local raptors, or so I thought until four Common Kestrel flew up high and headed purposefully south towards Africa. Judging by their behavior, I would say they left the Island.
Also, my wife woke me early this morning to show me a flock of 30 Common Starlings whirring around our apartment. Nice way to start the day, they are the first I’ve seen this summer/autumn.
Mike

The viewing platform at Albufereta yielded Purple Heron, Purple Heron, 2 Green Sandpiper, Cattle Egret, a family party of Stonechat, Marsh Harrier and Osprey (the latter two sharing a hay bale for a period of time).

Viewing from my hotel balcony up the start of the Boquer Valley early mornings has produced up to 4 Eleonora's Falcon, regular sightings of Booted Eagle, 2 sightings of Short-toed Eagle, Hoopoe and Crag Martin.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back