• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple Questions about Experiences (1 Viewer)

I'll second Rich N's message (#4) in this thread. By all means go to the shop in Mendocino. The guys are great and you can try everything outside. Even look at the sparrows and gulls. A great store.............

Greetings billmell,

billmell said:
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful and helpful responses. I finally bought a Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42. I had tested a number of different models higher and lower models and this seemed to be the best fit. I got it on eBay for $245. everywhere else they were both arought $289. The only deficit against the 8x30 E2s seems to be a 22% narrower field of view. The Monarch have a number of features that I liked: roof-prisms; waterproof; closer focus; etc.

If I screwed up, be gentle with me.
Bill

I think you did just fine... I once owned a pair of the Nikon Monarch 8X42 ATB's myself, they are great optics for the price. I ended up refunding mine when I purchased my Nikon HG 8x32's, but I still occasionally think of going and re-purchasing a pair because they are such a great deal considering the optical and general build quality.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings billmell,

I think you did just fine... I once owned a pair of the Nikon Monarch 8X42 ATB's myself, they are great optics for the price. I ended up refunding mine when I purchased my Nikon HG 8x32's, but I still occasionally think of going and re-purchasing a pair because they are such a great deal considering the optical and general build quality.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Tell me, having used both the Monarch and the HG, how did the 42mm Monarch compare with the 32mm HG with regards to resolution and brightness under low light situations ?

Hawkeye,

hawkeye_oo said:
Tell me, having used both the Monarch and the HG, how did the 42mm Monarch compare with the 32mm HG with regards to resolution and brightness under low light situations ?

Interesting question... a little difficult to answer. The reason is that I don't consider either binocular to be a true "low light" binocular, and did not really spend much time with either pair under low light conditions. I personally am of the opinion that the minimum acceptable low light binocular for resolving color and detail is a 10x50, I have found that 10x42 and especially 8x42/8x32 binoculars are completely inadequate. However, I will try and answer your question anyway... based on my limited usage of both binoculars for that purpose.

I would say that the 8x32 HG has a SLIGHT edge over the 8x42 ATB in low light conditions, because of the quality of the optics themselves - not because of the objective lens size or other factors. The 8x32 HG is, in my opinion, the finest 8x32 roof prism binocular currently manufactured - with an amazing level of brightness, clarity, and lack of optical artifacts such as CA, pincushion and barrel distortion, etc. I would say without hesitation that in the realm of CA alone, the HG is at least twice as good as the ATB, and brightness is probably 20% better (an amazing feat considering that the 8X42 ATB has 10mm more objective lens diameter!).

I guess I could sum it up by saying that the real difference between the two binoculars is seen during the day in normal lighting conditions, where the 8x32 HG really shines (pun intended! ;) ). For low light evening or early morning use, I would not choose either binocular - I would reach for a 10x50, even my inexpensive Pentax SP 10x50 outperforms both binoculars easily in low light conditions.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:
Interesting. Google shows an HG model in the UK but not the US. One site had a price of 669 pounds, nearly 4 times what I paid. The nikonusa site also does not show an HG. Low light is not a big issue for me but CA could be. I'll try the ATBs for my casual use to see if I want to add some other model.

I do think someone would do us a big favor by creating a chart that shows the family tree of each real manufacturer with sublabels, OEM relationshps and their current and closed-out models with basic info including price. Of course, you generally get what you pay for but there are exceptions.

Another issue that concerns me is local merchant vs mass-merchant (Wal-Mart), Internet or mail order, eBay etc. There needs to be a way for local merchants to get compensated for the tire-kickers beyond higher prices. The manufacturers could geive them lower prices or commissions for testers who buy elsewhere.

Bill, there are quite a few decent brands and models for $250-350. I found some models a few days back, and tried to PM mail them to you, but you have set this forum up to not receive private messages.

Always trying to help us moderate cost birders, but I don't want to advertise any brands and stores too openly.

Atomic Chicken said:
I guess I could sum it up by saying that the real difference between the two binoculars is seen during the day in normal lighting conditions, where the 8x32 HG really shines (pun intended! ;) ). For low light evening or early morning use, I would not choose either binocular - I would reach for a 10x50, even my inexpensive Pentax SP 10x50 outperforms both binoculars easily in low light conditions.

Thanks Bawko
One more question !
Would a casual birder who doesnt want to spend big bucks and yet wants a good waterproof binocular be happy with the Monarch ? Yes or No ?

Hawkeye,

hawkeye_oo said:
Thanks Bawko
One more question !
Would a casual birder who doesnt want to spend big bucks and yet wants a good waterproof binocular be happy with the Monarch ? Yes or No?

Yes - absolutely. If I had less than $300 to spend, and wanted a waterproof/fogproof fully coated roof prism binocular with excellent optics, I would buy one of these three, preferentially in this order:

#1 - Bausch & Lomb Discoverer 7x42 (Now discontinued, but still available)
#2 - Alpen Apex 8x42
#3 - Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42

Any of the above are AWESOME optics for the money, and will give you excellent value for your dollar. However, if you don't particularly need waterproofing, some of the mid-to-high-end porro prism binoculars will give you a slightly better image for the same $$$. I personally bird in rainy conditions and near ponds and streams all the time, so waterproof binoculars are essential for me, not a luxury. Your needs might be different.

One last thing, I have heard many great reports about the Celestron Noble 8X42, but there are no dealers in this area that carry these so I am unqualified to recommend them or recommend against them. If you are near a Celestron dealer they might be worth a look before purchasing one of the above models.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Bill,

Locally, I can purchase the Alpen 8x42 (Model 493) at a sporting goods store for $289 + tax, which would place it just slightly over $300.

A quick internet search turned up:

$329.00 - http://www.homestead-products.com/binocs.htm
$349.00 - http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx&_requestid=65714
$256.25 - http://www.ultout.com/alpenoutdoorcorp-optics.htm
$350.00 - http://www.nightvisionplanet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=310
$350.00 - http://www.nightgalaxy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=310&MMP=1

I understand that most of these sources are above $300, making it the most expensive of the 3 options I listed... however these truly are worth looking at even if it does kick the price over by $30-$50.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:
My usual source has them at well over $300 so I didn't look at any. Figured they would be more than my old man was willing to pay.

I usually find SG stores to have higher prices than the dedicated optics stores.

Here's my opinon

The 8x36 Nikon Sporters have got to be the best binoculars on the market considering what you have asked for, a cost of between $100 and $200. I don't know if you where eyeglasses, but their eyecups not staying where I would like them to is the only reason why they aren't perfect in my opinion.
marcus

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back