• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Nicholson in "Nicholson's Pipit" … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s another small addition to the HBW Alive Key … regarding:
nicholsoni
F. Nicholson (1843-1945) ornithologist, collector (Anthus).
… in the long debated taxon; species, subspecies (or subspecies Group) Anthus (similis) nicholsoni SHARPE 1884 (as "Anthus nicholsoni" a k a "Nicholson's Pipit"): "One of these appears to us to be without a name, as we cannot at present find any of the published descriptions which will suit it, and we have affixed to it the name of Mr. Francis Nicholson who has long been studying the Motacillidæ, and whose monograph of the family we hope shortly to welcome."

= most likely the British cotton merchant and ornithologist Mr. Francis Nicholson (1843-1925), of Manchester, member of the Zoological Society of London, British Ornithologist's Union etc. etc. – who himself described, for example; Anthus cinnamomeus bocagii NICHOLSON 1884 (the same year), and (earlier) Anthus lutescens peruvianus NICHOLSON 1878.

Note: I haven´t checked him fully, nor thoroughly. If he ever wrote or published that Wagtail/Pipit monograph I do not know … neither if he ever collected any birds himself. He might have.
---

Last edited:
I just open this thread again as the publication years in Avibase - The World Bird Database 1853 - 1938 confused me.

But I assume this Dr. Nicholson H. E. I. C. pt.18-19 (1850-1851) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library (assume it is Henry Alleyne Nicholson - Wikipedia ) (Dr Edward Nicholson published on snakes? Epsilon: Nicholson, Edward but very young in 1851 if him) and Syrnium nebulosum sablei D. J. Nicholson http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Syna/syna00337a.jpg
D. J. Nicholson Florida Naturalist (new ser .) 11 [(old ser . ) 17]: 99, July 1938 .

are different persons? One should be Donald John Nicholson https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/wilson/v040n04/p0225-p0237.pdf

But Björn seems to be correct if I read https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v043n01/p0081-p0085.pdf

FRANCIS NICHOLSON, Corresponding Fellow, aged 82, died at Windermere England, Feb. 10, 1925

With this information I would consider 1842 as birth year as well, but I have no idea where and when he was born.

Mr. FRANCIS NICHOLSON , F.Z.S. , died at his residence " Ravenscroft , " Windermere , on Feb. 10th, 1925, aged 82 , as the result of an accident at the Turkish baths in Manchester a few days earlier. He was a member of our Society from 1903, and often seen at our meetings To these Transactions he contributed a note on the origin of bottled beer (N.S. iv, 215) ; 'Kendal (Unitarian) chapel and its registers' ( N.S. v ) ...

Last edited:
I think you have three different authors there.
  • "Dr. Nicholson" of the H. E. I. C. Medical Service ("H. E. I. C." = Honourable East India Company), who published in 1851-53, and who was in Arabia in 1836 (as per the description of the Francolinus -- actually a partridge; this cannot be the surgeon and ophiologist Edward Nicholson, as he was not born in 1836).
  • Francis Nicholson, Fellow of the Zoological Society, who published in 1878-1910.
  • Donald J Nicholson, who described the owl in 1938, see snippets in: The Florida Naturalist

Last edited:
The HEIC man is

Dr Benjamin Alexander Robert Nicholson

Birth Date 3 May 1805
Birth Place Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England, United Kingdom
Death Date 1 Mar 1854
Death Place Hyderabad, Telangana (Hyderabad), Andhra Pradesh, India

attached

others:

Francis Nicholson
Birth Date 16 Jan. 1843
Birth Place Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester (Chorlton cum Hardy), Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Death Date 10 Feb. 1925
Death Place Windermere, Cumberland (Windermere), Cumbria, England, United Kingdom

Donald John NICHOLSON
Birth 10 Jul. 1892 Florida, USA
Marriage 22 Jun. 1921 Volusia, Florida, USA
Residence 1940 Orlando, Orange, Florida, USA
Death May 1964 Orange, Florida, USA

For evidence see obit in Orlando Evening Star Tuesday, May 19, 1964 pg 3

Attachments

• 46173_302022005561_1742-00548.jpg
    46173_302022005561_1742-00548.jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread