• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 B1 (1 Viewer)

dries1

If one is looking for a glass in the 8X42 format, can be comfortable with 850 grams, and a FOV of 7.8 degrees, listed eye relief is 17 (more like 16mm) for less than $900 this is the glass for you. Very nice views with great contrast and high build quality.
Now there is a very subtle difference in brightness (slightly increased) with the later serial 180XXX and one with 121XXX, (likely up grades to the lens coating). If purchasing new/used see if you can get a model/serial later than 150XXX.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF4159.jpg
    DSCF4159.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF4160.jpg
    DSCF4160.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 209
Andy,

I've mentioned before that I think Meopta have incrementally improved the colour rendition over a number of years. I think they started to roll out the most significant upgrade around 2013 but it seems to taken some time. I recall marked differences in the colour rendition of the different models on their stand at Birdfair through 2015 and even 2016, but I didn't think to look at the serial numbers, or even jot down which models were the more neutral at the time. 150XXX or higher seems a reasonable suggestion.

I think you will find the weight is rather more than 850g. ;)

David

David,

Yes the weight is more like 890 grams, but it is an easy handling glass, shorter than the usual 8X42. I really think it is above the mid-range category, and very similar to the Leica HD in the view. For the money hard to beat.

Andy W.

Meopta Meostar B1 8 x 42 versus 10 x 42 HD

Hi. I'm new to this forum and would like know if there is a difference in clarity and brightness between the Meopta Meostar 8 x42 and the 10 x 42 HD. I'm planning on upgrading after using a Nikon Monarch 5 - 8 x 42 for several years.
Does the HD add an appreciable quality to the 10x Meopta binos over the 8x?
Also, I'm not sure if I can hold a 10x steady enough for a few hours of birding and also wonder if less FOV would be a disadvantage.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome,

Linda the 10X42 HD will have a more narrow field of view than the 8X42 and a decreased depth of field, so more focusing required to view depth of field with the 10X.
A later serial 8X42 I would think would not have any less quality of view than the 10X42 HD.

Andy W.

Hi Linda
The HD has fluoride-doped glass to reduce chromatic aberration which in principal is an upgrade over the 8x except that the 8x is a very good performer in this regard anyway. Personally I wouldn't choose between these two models based on the 10x's fluoride lenses. These models are not lightweight and while some folks find this helpful in steadying a 10x bino, some find the opposite so you need to find out how this would work for you. If you are birding or nature observing in big landscapes the extra reach of a 10x can be useful for seeing details but the 8x with a larger field of view can be more useful for scanning large areas and for observing behaviour involving two individuals.

This reply is turning into one of those infuriating 'on the one hand consider this, but on the other hand consider something else' kind of replies. This is because there are no hard and fast rules on what is best and only you can decide what is best for you.

One thing I can say is that Meopta's B1s are very fine instruments indeed. Incidentally the title of your post mentions the 10x50 (which in Europe at least is not an HD) but your post mentions the 10x42 which certainly is HD. My answers are based on both 42mm as I have no experience of the 50mm.

And if weight turns out to be a strong factor do not forget the B1 MeoStar 8x32 which is a gem.

Lee

Andy and Lee
Thanks for helping me make up my mind and understand the HD label.
On the one hand I was curious about having higher mag. In reality I think I should stick with the 8x for a few of the reasons that likely apply to me, like the extra weight. Something I didnt know was the depth of field difference which would be important when trying to follow warbers for instance!
Oh and yes my heading 10x50 should be 10x42....ive been looking at too many ads! I'll change it if I can find edit.
My next decision is where to order from meopta in Europe or US...being in Canada I have to keep converting money to see the best price...sigh.
Thanks again!
Linda

Trying out the 8 x 42s isn't possible, since we have no distributor in Winnipeg. But I found a couple of suppliers in Canada for the Meopta binos and the price is in Can$.

Hello Linda,

The guys have made good points in questioning whether the 10x42 HD will suite you for weight and magnification. With lens caps it's well over 900g (32oz). That's more than I would want to carry on a neck strap all day, but a harness would spread the load. I normaly switch between a 10x and 7x binocular depending on the terrain. I find the extra reach of the 10x is frequently an advantage, but to get the benefit the weight, grip and balance needs to be right for you. I needed to play around with my hand positions to get it steady. The higher weight damped down the shake for a while... until my arms tired. The 7x I have is much lighter and not only better suited to warblers, but when a lot of hiking is involved.

I compared the HD and non HD versions of the 10x42 when the latter was released in Europe. The non HD is no slouch, but side by side, I found the extra centre sharpness and fine colour detail of the HD impressive. To be honest I don't recall what difference there was to peripheral colour fringing. The cleaner, chrisper centre was what struck me. I though the advantage was even greater with the 12x50 HD I tried later. I should point out that not everyone reports the kind of difference I found, so we can't predict if you would appreciate the benefit.

You might be aware that Meopta have supplied binoculars to Cabela's in the US for many years. The intricacies of the contract has prevented Meopta from offering HD versions of their own Meostar for all the models in the range. As far as we understand it the Cabela's Instinct Euro HD is the Meostar and is available as the 8x32, 8x42, 10x42, 10x50 and 12x50 HDs. I can't say I'm persuaded that the new pattern armour has improved their look, but as far as we know the optics haven't changed.

Good luck,

David

I believe David is correct regarding Meopta and Cabela's but it appears that the 8X42 is not part of the latter's line of products.
Peter

Thanks for the correction Peter. There was a rogue 'Intensity" amongst the of 'Instincts' when I looked for the lineup this morning. :eek!:

David

Well I finally took the plunge and ordered the Meostar 8 x42s. This is my first upgrade from my Monarch 5 binos which I've used for 9 years and had to send them back for repair once after about 6 years. Nikon replaced them at no charge.
A company by the name Meoptica here in Canada took my order.
The Meopta information from this forum was very useful and all the suggestions helped me sort out what I wanted in an upgrade.
Thanks to all!

Well I finally took the plunge and ordered the Meostar 8 x42s. This is my first upgrade from my Monarch 5 binos which I've used for 9 years and had to send them back for repair once after about 6 years. Nikon replaced them at no charge.
A company by the name Meoptica here in Canada took my order.
The Meopta information from this forum was very useful and all the suggestions helped me sort out what I wanted in an upgrade.
Thanks to all!

Thats great news Linda. Do let us know what you think of them after you have tried them out a few times. Good luck.

Lee

I received my 8 x 42 Meostar B1 today and hope to go out birding when this heat wave settles down. In the meantime, my first impressions are;

1. they do weigh more than what Im used to but I'll see what happens wearing a harness while out for an extended time birding.
2. They're crystal clear, much brighter, and FOV is wider than my Monarch 5s. All very good.
3. The focus knob is a bit stiff but I'd think for a man's hand strength, this is not a problem. However it might just be something I need to get accustomed to.
4 The overall hand grip and feel is great and I like the look of this model.

I'll update when I've been out a bit and after my arms are strenthened! �� Cheers.
Linda

Lindajcurtis,

Glad you like them so far. If you look at the hinge on the back of the bino, there is a number in white print near the hinge base, can you tell us what the first two numerals are?

Andy W.

Lindajcurtis,

Glad you like them so far. If you look at the hinge on the back of the bino, there is a number in white print near the hinge base, can you tell us what the first two numerals are?

Andy W.

Hi Andy...the s# is 171125....I did ask when I ordered to send the most recent serial number, so Im hoping these are among those that have undergone further improvement.

Linda

I received my 8 x 42 Meostar B1 today and hope to go out birding when this heat wave settles down. In the meantime, my first impressions are;

1. they do weigh more than what Im used to but I'll see what happens wearing a harness while out for an extended time birding.
2. They're crystal clear, much brighter, and FOV is wider than my Monarch 5s. All very good.
3. The focus knob is a bit stiff but I'd think for a man's hand strength, this is not a problem. However it might just be something I need to get accustomed to.
4 The overall hand grip and feel is great and I like the look of this model.

I'll update when I've been out a bit and after my arms are strenthened! �� Cheers.
Linda

Linda

The focus action will gradually ease with use so its nothing to be concerned about. The grip is nice isn't it?
The dioptre adjuster moves in very tiny increments so that at each 'rest' position it is locked as if sitting in a notch. I have found this very reliable with no unwanted movement.

Good luck

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back