• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Starling plumage (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

I was in Liverpool in August 2018 to do 6 days of bird watching with the RSPB Liverpool Group. I had a fantastic time with some very friendly people.

I spotted this Common Starling at Manchester International Airport.

I´m I right when I say that the first picture is a male in ALMOST winter plumage, black bill and not much colour in the plumage

I have put down the second picture as a Juvenile going into adult plumage, is this correct?

And one question, is there any difference between a immature and a juvenile. I know that the gulls are immature for a few years with different plumages for every year. But what about the Common Starling?

Kind regards
Aladdin

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 26
You're correct on both counts. You can tell a male common starling in spring as the bill colour changes to almost completely yellow, with a bluish base. Otherwise in both sexes the bill is black.
Starlings attain adulthood in their second year as far as I'm aware, so a bird of this year will become an adult by next year.

Last edited:
Well researched; I think you're pretty well right with your age assessments there. As for the differences between juvenile & immature, there are threads on this forum where it is discussed at length, so you may care to search.

RB

Great photos by the way which show the difference in the way the white feather markings are shaped.
Inverted pointed arrows on the adult and white " circles" on the moulting juvenile.

Thank you very much

Very interesting, especially with the bill colour. I was aware of the yellow bill during breeding, but not that it was the difference between the male and female during the summer or breeding as I say.

So this is a juvenile turning in to an adult winter plumage, FIRST WINTER and next spring the bill will be yellow or black depending on the sex

Thank you very much again

Very interesting, especially with the bill colour. I was aware of the yellow bill during breeding, but not that it was the difference between the male and female during the summer or breeding as I say.
I should importantly have also said that adult females also show a yellow bill too without the bluish bill base.

Thank you again

Well, I love to learn and I will keep my eyes open for the bill colours next time in Europe. Hopefully in May with RSPB Liverpool Group

Cheers again and happy birding
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back