• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 7x42 vs Zeiss 7x42 bgat p*...anybody have experience of both? (1 Viewer)

Rathaus

I have a pair if the Zeiss 7x42 bgat p as stated above. Like most, It's a binocular I really enjoy using. I find myself marvelling in its view as opposed to analysing its view.

What was the equivalent Leica 7x42 and how does it stack up against the zeiss?
Anybody use both?

Cheers
Rathaus

Hi Rathaus,

I too have the Zeiss 7x42BGA T*P, and I love it. I prefer it to my later Zeiss Victory FL.
The Leica equivallent is the Trinovid 7x42BN, I kept my 8x32BN, but not the 7x so it's been awhile since I used one, personally I preferred the Zeiss, mainly because of the better handling. The Zeiss is more sleek and well balanced to me. The Trinovid is pretty much as good optically though, I can't recall there being much between them.

I have a pair if the Zeiss 7x42 bgat p as stated above. Like most, It's a binocular I really enjoy using. I find myself marvelling in its view as opposed to analysing its view.

What was the equivalent Leica 7x42 and how does it stack up against the zeiss?
Anybody use both?

Cheers
Rathaus

The Zeiss has a wider field, much brighter (and sharper) image thanks to its AK prisms and better coatings and for many, myself included, better handling characteristics. The Zeiss is also "legally waterproof", i.e., covered by the Zeiss warranty but really just shower proof, while the Leica is truly waterproof and exceptionally robust. Both are wonderful binoculars. I far prefer (but many do not) the hard rubber armor on the Zeiss while the Leica polyurethane armor becomes slick over time. I also owned the Leica 7 x 42 BA which lacked the closer focus of the BN model but was otherwise identical. My Zeiss 7 x 42 was a late 90's model with T* and P* coatings and I much preferred it to the Leica. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am in agreement with Chartwell99. I own both the Zeiss and a Leica 7x42BA. When I bought the Zeiss, I stopped using the Zeiss.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Zeiss 7x42BGAT*P vs. Leica 7x42 (various)

What was the equivalent Leica 7x42 and how does it stack up against the zeiss? Anybody use both?
Rathaus

I enjoyed using a late-model Zeiss 7x42BGAT*P as my "universal" bino for a long time. Its Leica equivalent would be the Trinovid 7x42B/BA (Uppendahl prisms); it's a very nice glass, but in my opinion the Zeiss leaves it in the dust. Next up would be the Trinovid Ultra BA/BN, aka "The Brick", and it's a much better bino, but the Zeiss with its wider field and easy view still comes out ahead, again in my opinion. The Ultravid 7x42BR and HD came close to knocking the BGAT off its pedestal, but they couldn't quite make me give up my old friend. Recently I had the opportunity to compare my BGAT with a 7x42HD+, and as I noted elsewhere in this forum, this one did the trick. The Zeiss now sits proudly on a shelf in my office, and the Leica goes birding with me. Very bright, extremely sharp, works well against the light, near-perfect control of lateral CA, can pull incredible detail out of the shadows, light and compact for a 42, eye-relief just right for me. A really superb 7x42.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back