• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven C1 8x42 & GPO Passion ED 8x42? (1 Viewer)

Les Shulman

Hi,

I am interested in obtaining a low to mid-priced pair of binoculars-no more than $400-as an upgrade to my Zen Ed 2 8x43 (as it has a too tight focus) and ZRS 10 x42 (with too much CA).
Would the Maven C1 8x42 (discounting its FOV) and or the GPO Passion ED 8 x 42 be an optical and handling upgrade to the Zen Rays?

Thanks,
Les

Hi,

I am interested in obtaining a low to mid-priced pair of binoculars-no more than $400-as an upgrade to my Zen Ed 2 8x43 (as it has a too tight focus) and ZRS 10 x42 (with too much CA).
Would the Maven C1 8x42 (discounting its FOV) and or the GPO Passion ED 8 x 42 be an optical and handling upgrade to the Zen Rays?

Thanks,
Les

Yes either is an upgrade.

As to which one, if you prefer a wider fov go with the GPO. The C1 has a little better image. Like what seems all of the Maven line, the fov is understated. My 8x42 C1 measures 360'.

Thanks Steve for confirming that both are upgrades from the overall more than quite decent Zen-Rays.

I've decided since normally most of the day-to-day birding I do in open-fields and riparian areas does not necessarily require a wide fov and since my priority would be (value for price) image quality, the next time I'm in the U.S. I'll be ordering the Mavens.

Saludos,
Les

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back