• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 EII Objective Diameter in mm? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
Has anybody ever measured their objective diameters in mm for the Nikon 8x30 EII. I wanted to order some Opticron tethered objective covers before I get the binocular. If you could measure your's I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I mentioned it on the Swarovski sub-forum
I've been using the tethered objective covers from an Opticron Discovery 8x32. Obvioulsy, they're not made on purpose for the EII, but they happen to work. I'm not sure if they're 42 mm. The truth is that they could be a hair wider, so 43 might well be the number. However, I'm happy with the Discovery's covers.
See pic attached.

Attachments

• EII Discovery covers.jpg
    EII Discovery covers.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 238
Thanks, for the picture. Those look exactly like the 43mm Opticron objective covers I purchased on Amazon.com. I was a little concerned if there was enough lip on the end of the objective of the EII for the tether AND the cap but it looks like they will fit. I find having the tether to keep the caps on preferable to the non-tethered removable caps that come with the EII.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3ZZZZO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 41jjx3eOi2L.jpg
    41jjx3eOi2L.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Given the fact that the EII are not sealed, I guess every precaution is needed to try and keep them as dust free as possible, although I'm afraid that the focus mechanism is a likely source of problems in the future, or is it? I live in the countryside (pretty dusty) and it is very humid (I've already have them fogged up) so the durability and state in «old age» is a concern about the EII. I wonder what do other EII owners think about this; what do you reckon?

Like so many things, I think the answer has to be, "It depends..." I have a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena Deltrintem 8x30 binoculars, made in the 1950s (from the serial number). Looking inside them with a bright LED torch (always quite a severe test) reveals that their interior is cleaner than many modern day, sealed binoculars. Granted, I wouldn't want to use those or my EIIs in a dust storm, but I often think that this issue is often overplayed.

Many of us here have (ahem...) a choice of binoculars to pick from when we go out, and if the weather is looking like it's going to be bad, I'll take a sealed pair of binoculars in preference to my EIIs, or if it comes on to rain, the EIIs go back into their padded case sooner. If they do get a little damp, I'll take them out of their case when I get home, dry them off, and leave them out for some hours for everything to dry off. They're such a delightful glass though, I wouldn't want not to have them and enjoy them for fear of their limitations.

I guess it's just about taking reasonable care.

Exactly. In the birding I do 99% I can use my EII. If I was going to the Amazon jungle I would grab a waterproof, sealed roof. I don't think the EII's would be the best choice if you on the beach next to the ocean or in a real humid climate but for most climates and conditions they work fine.

Last edited:
These are the 43mm Opticron objective covers I purchased on Amazon.com installed on the Nikon 8x30 EII. I was a little concerned if there was enough lip on the end of the objective of the EII for the tether AND the cap but they fit perfectly and there is enough lip to hold them on securely even when removing the binoculars from the case. I find having the tether to keep the caps on preferable to the non-tethered removable caps that come with the EII. Here are a few pictures of how they look installed on the EII and an a Nikon 8x30 EII next to a Habicht 10x40 W and a picture of the 54mm Opticron Objective covers installed on the Habicht 10x40. Both objective covers fit very well. I forgot how BIG the FOV is on the EII's. Mine say MIJ clearly printed on them. The EII's are easily the best binocular value under $500.00. The thing is the EII's and the Habicht's are such high quality binoculars compared to the under $1K roofs that it is amazing. You buy an under $1k roof and it is hit or miss on quality. You buy an EII or Habicht and every time every one of them is perfect. No focus slop or drifting diopter's. Everything works perfect. All the older Nikon 8x30 EII's were a little less bright than the Habicht and the contrast wasn't the equal of the newer alpha roofs but Nikon made some significant coating improvements in these newer Nikon 8x30 EII's around the introduction of the Anniversary Edition as reported by Tobias. These newer EII's are much brighter, have better contrast and color rendition with the famous Nikon red bias gone. If you have an older pair of EII's i would say it is worth upgrading. Here is Tobias's thread.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=364271

Attachments

• P5200004.jpg
    P5200004.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 70
  • P5200005.jpg
    P5200005.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 78
  • P5200005 (1).jpg
    P5200005 (1).jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
These are the 43mm Opticron objective covers I purchased on Amazon.com installed on the Nikon 8x30 EII. I was a little concerned if there was enough lip on the end of the objective of the EII for the tether AND the cap but they fit perfectly and there is enough lip to hold them on securely even when removing the binoculars from the case. I find having the tether to keep the caps on preferable to the non-tethered removable caps that come with the EII. Here are a few pictures of how they look installed on the EII and an a Nikon 8x30 EII next to a Habicht 10x40 W and a picture of the 54mm Opticron Objective covers installed on the Habicht 10x40. Both objective covers fit very well. I forgot how BIG the FOV is on the EII's. Mine say MIJ clearly printed on them. The EII's are easily the best binocular value under $500.00. The thing is the EII's and the Habicht's are such high quality binoculars compared to the under $1K roofs that it is amazing. You buy an under $1k roof and it is hit or miss on quality. You buy an EII or Habicht and every time every one of them is perfect. No focus slop or drifting diopter's. Everything works perfect. All the older Nikon 8x30 EII's were a little less bright than the Habicht and the contrast wasn't the equal of the newer alpha roofs but Nikon made some significant coating improvements in these newer Nikon 8x30 EII's around the introduction of the Anniversary Edition as reported by Tobias. These newer EII's are much brighter, have better contrast and color rendition with the famous Nikon red bias gone. If you have an older pair of EII's i would say it is worth upgrading. Here is Tobias's thread.

Thanks guys mine arrived yesterday along with the perfect fitting Opticron covers you recommended. Addictive binoculars really. Took some getting used to ergonomically at first I could not hold them acceptably steady but no problem after a day. Against bright setting sunlight today they out-performed my 8x32 SV and 7x42 UV+ which are two of my favorite binoculars. I got an open box model 100th Anniv. at a fair discount. I've never seen the other version but this really looks beautiful. The gray finish looks seriously futuristic. They especially benefit from use with a wide brim hat as their barrels are so short I suppose. Great rainguard and it's the only original accessory I'm using. The OpTech standard bin strap is a great fit. On me it hangs very well. The short barrels make them easier to carry on a strap than a roof of the same weight. I may experiment with using a light harness. Love harnesses.

Can anyone recommend a light mono pod? No way to use a tripod that I can discover. The EIIs stabilized would be luxurious. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Mike

Can anyone recommend a light mono pod? No way to use a tripod that I can discover. The EIIs stabilized would be luxurious. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Mike

The Velbon Super 8 is one option, very light, folds very small, good height and robust enough to serve as a walking stick. The folding mechanism is unique, but it is robust enough to have served me well for the past decade. However, this does not have the option to attach little feet and turn into a mini tripod, as do the Sirui and other series.

https://www.amazon.com/Velbon-porta...elbon+super+8&qid=1558745232&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Your welcome. The EII's have about the widest FOV you can get for the money and they are higher quality than most roofs you are going to find under $500.00. Of course the WX's have a wider FOV but they are $6K!

Your welcome. The EII's have about the widest FOV you can get for the money and they are higher quality than most roofs you are going to find under $500.00. Of course the WX's have a wider FOV but they are $6K!

Query: Do the EII's have ocular threads, so that one could attach hoods?
My Canon 10x42 does allow for 52mm hoods, it enhances the overall package nicely.

Query: Do the EII's have ocular threads, so that one could attach hoods?
My Canon 10x42 does allow for 52mm hoods, it enhances the overall package nicely.
The Nikon 8x30 EII's do look like they have internal threads in the ocular and they are are 32mm I.D. I don't think they are designed to take a lens hood like the Canon 10x42 IS-L. It doesn't look like there is enough room. Anything you put in the objective would reduce the aperture. I think any kind of hood or objective protector would have to be slipped on the outside of the objective. Like this objective protector pictured below.

Attachments

• Objective guards.jpg
    Objective guards.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The Nikon 8x30 EII's do look like they have internal threads in the ocular and they are are 32mm I.D. I don't think they are designed to take a lens hood like the Canon 10x42 IS-L. It doesn't look like there is enough room. Anything you put in the objective would reduce the aperture. I think any kind of hood or objective protector would have to be slipped on the outside of the objective. Like this objective protector pictured below.

Thank you, that answers the question, even though it leaves me a bit disappointed.
I'd hoped that a hood would solve any veiling glare issues, but no joy.

Dennis,

"All the older Nikon 8x30 EII's were a little less bright than the Habicht and the contrast wasn't the equal of the newer alpha roofs but Nikon made some significant coating improvements in these newer Nikon 8x30 EII's around the introduction of the Anniversary Edition as reported by Tobias. These newer EII's are much brighter, have better contrast and color rendition with the famous Nikon red bias gone. If you have an older pair of EII's i would say it is worth upgrading."

When you say older, how old - the old gray ones like the one that Holger Merlitz shows in his reviews? Mine is a black one with serial # 08210XX. I purchased it in late 2017.

Andy W.

Dennis,

"All the older Nikon 8x30 EII's were a little less bright than the Habicht and the contrast wasn't the equal of the newer alpha roofs but Nikon made some significant coating improvements in these newer Nikon 8x30 EII's around the introduction of the Anniversary Edition as reported by Tobias. These newer EII's are much brighter, have better contrast and color rendition with the famous Nikon red bias gone. If you have an older pair of EII's i would say it is worth upgrading."

When you say older, how old - the old gray ones like the one that Holger Merlitz shows in his reviews? Mine is a black one with serial # 08210XX. I purchased it in late 2017.

Andy W.
It seems that Nikon updated the coatings around the time the time they introduced the Anniversary Edition which was June 16, 2017 although that version seemed to have a different numbering system. I think being made late in 2017 might or might not have the updated coatings. Was it after June 16, 2017? Does it seem to have a red bias like a lot of the Nikon's do or is it more yellow? I just purchased mine and it is definitely improved. It's serial number is 821440. If you could compare your's someway to a brand new EII that would be a conclusive test. Here is Tobias's thread on it. It might help.

Last edited:
I might be able to compare it to an anniversary version, I did not see any difference last time I tried it ,but for a short period. I had an early gray version that my sister has now, but that is the same one Holger Merlitz had in his early reviews of the EII. That one had slightly more brown/red tones, but still a nice glass.

Andy W.

I have both the Anniversary version, and a later EII version, the coatings seem much the same,
as in objective reflections.

So, in my opinion, the optics seem similar, that means the 100th Anniversary version is special, a limited
edition model.

In my eyes, the EII is very good in any model year, I have other earlier models and have compared.

The Nikon SE 8x32 is where some differences may be noted between early and later models.

Jerry
is a bit different, the later models do show

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back