• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apodidae (1 Viewer)

Thanks for this Paul however, there is remaining confusion, for me anyway, as to the correct range of andrei, see post 33.

I relocated that 1997 paper and here's what it said about the range of andrei:

Chaetura andrei andrei. - The nominate form of the Ashy-tailed Swift is known from only five specimens from three localities in eastern Venezuela. Two of the localities are in edo. Bolivar, at Caicara (7°37'N, 66°10'W) and Altagracia (7°52'N and 65°33'W), and one is in edo. Sucre, at San Felix (10°15'N and 63°55'W) (Berlepsch and Hartert 1902).

So, very little seems was known in 1997 about its range and I don't know if the situation has improved since then.

The paper goes on to mention that some of the specimens identified as andrei are identical to some forms of aphanes -- although the two are synonymous now. The map in the 1997 paper shows the locations for specimens of aphanes as being near the coast around Caracas.

I relocated that 1997 paper and here's what it said about the range of andrei:

So, very little seems was known in 1997 about its range and I don't know if the situation has improved since then.

The paper goes on to mention that some of the specimens identified as andrei are identical to some forms of aphanes -- although the two are synonymous now. The map in the 1997 paper shows the locations for specimens of aphanes as being near the coast around Caracas.

Great stuff,
thanks Paul, one up for me then!

Eventually.

Chaetura

R. Terry Chesser, Haley Vaseghi, Peter A. Hosner, Laura M. Bergner, M.Nandadevi Cortes-Rodriguez, Andreanna J.Welch, Charles T. Collins. Molecular systematics of swifts of the genus Chaetura (Aves: Apodiformes: Apodidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution
Available online 11 July 2018, In Press, Accepted Manuscript.

Proposal (880) to SACC

Change linear sequence of species in Chaetura

Ibis
Ibis
ORIGINAL PAPER

Cryptic hybridization between Common (Apus apus) and Pallid (A. pallidus) Swifts​

Alice Cibois,Michel Beaud,Francesco Foletti,Gérard Gory,Gwenaël Jacob,Nathalie Legrand … See all authors
First published: 15 May 2022

https://doi.org/10.1111/ibi.13087
This article has been accepted for publication and undergone full peer review but has not been through the copyediting, typesetting, pagination and proofreading process, which may lead to differences between this version and the Version of Record. Please cite this article as doi:10.1111/ibi.13087

PDFPDF
TOOLS

ABSTRACT​

Man-made structures, and particularly urban settings, attract species showing similar ecological niches and provide nest sites for cavity-breeding species. It is; however, unknown whether this proximity creates opportunities for hybridization and gene flow across related species. We investigated whether two colonial species, the Common Swift Apus apus and the Pallid Swift Apus pallidus, are experiencing gene flow by genotyping individuals that breed in sympatry in the town of Bastia (Corsica, France). We compared them to individuals sampled in colonies where a single species is breeding, in the Mediterranean region and in Switzerland. Our results provided evidence of gene flow between the two species and showed that introgression was not limited to sympatric urban colonies. Gene flow was asymmetrical, with more Pallid Swifts than Common Swifts showing evidence of mixed-ancestry. Several individuals were assessed as late-generation hybrids, suggesting that introgression between the two species was associated with their range expansion since the Last Glacial Maximum. However, we also identified individuals that exhibit the characteristics of recent-generation hybrids, particularly in Bastia. This result suggests that hybridization between the two species is an on-going and underestimated phenomenon, with a single observation of a mixed-pair in the literature, and may be favoured by close proximity in urban colonies.

Thank you Mr. Jansen for the link to your article.
I see you reject Roberts 1929 two subspecies.

https://journals.co.za/doi/pdf/10.10520/AJA00411752_678 .

And you lump fuscobrunneus.

About subspecies my philosophy is to let a thousand flowers bloom.

In the taxonomy section I was interested about the “lost” South African type specimen??? An Italian museum believes they have a type specimen of C. horus. But I am very confused.

https://publikace.nm.cz/file/935e89a7d321d81f1eadf27c8adc812d/25376/jnmpnhs_2020_007.pdf .

Page 61.

They speak about an article by Salvidori & Antinori 1872.

Somewhere on this web site:

Primo by Ex Libris - Atti della Reale Accademia delle scienze di Torino. Volume 8., dispensa 1. 1872-1873 [ISS-AAI000R_V00119_18720000_18730000_1872_000_008_000] . Page 94-96. December 1872.

Heuglin’s 1869 article mentions Antinori’s specimen which is from Sudan.

1.Bd.:Abt.1 (1869) - Ornithologie Nordost-Afrika's - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

I enjoyed the article and it is nice to see you rising to the level of my favorite journal Dutch Birding.

Thanks for the compliment! In Heuglins article he mentioned a specimen(s) in the Museum at Stuttgart from South Africa. So that's why I assumed that the type is from South Africa and that's the only traceable specimen I knew (before today). Clear also from your research that in Torino (I overlooked this) a specimen is. Anyone, a clear view on this, what is the the holotype, or are syntypes involved, with a dedication both to Salvadori & Antinori as to Stuttgart?

From Type specimens of mammals in the collection of the Museum of Natural History Stuttgart “Due to the uncertain status of many historic specimens, particularly the specimens described by Heuglin, hitherto no type catalogue of these holdings had been published.” Sounds like a mess and lost might be best word.
https://www.naturkundemuseum-bw.de/fileadmin/forschung/zoologie/SMNS_Typenkatalog_Mammalogie.pdf .

So I am a little clearer what Salvadori & Antinori 1872 meant and what the Italian museum meant. Salvidori says Heuglin called horus a variety of C. affinis. A subspecies? Salvidori say no C. horus is a full species. Therefore Antinori’s Sudan bird is the type of C. horus. With authors Salvidori and Antinori? I’m not sure it works that way.

Attention! .I cannot get that link to be stable?

Salvidori refers to an Antinori 1864 publication where he names two species C. galilejensis and C. dubius?? I have read them described as juveniles of horus but not sure.

Catalogo descrittivo di una collezione di uccelli, fatta nell'interno dell'Affrica centrale nord dal maggio 1859 al luglio 1861 - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Catalogo descrittivo di una collezione di uccelli, fatta nell'interno dell'Affrica centrale nord dal maggio 1859 al luglio 1861 - Biodiversity Heritage Library .?

Catalogo descrittivo di una collezione di uccelli, fatta nell'interno dell'Affrica centrale nord dal maggio 1859 al luglio 1861 - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Salvidori discusses this in an 1881 Ibis.

ser.4:v.5=no.17-20 (1881) - Ibis - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Heuglin’s mention of a bird from S. Africa in 1869 is odd since his publication is about another part of Africa. He describes C. horus as an MS of Hartlaub and Finsch who wrote a book about North east African birds. Heuglin was pals with these two and used their notes and birds?? Maybe the type is with their specimens?? Still not clear. Finsch Curator of the Museum of Natural History and Ethnography in Bremen, Germany ; 1868, and in Leiden Finsch was curator between 1897 and 1904. In 1904 he was appointed director of the ethnographical department of the Municipal Museum in Braunschweig, Germany.

C. finschi ?? horus??

Ornithologie d'Angola - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Heuglin 1873 sticks with C. affinis .

Bd.2 Abt.2 (1873) - Ornithologie Nordost-Afrika's - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Last edited:
In both Bremen as Leiden there is no Horus Swift at all in the collection. And the Torino bird not a type (as in the article and also Luca Ghiraldi in litt.)

So I am a little clearer what Salvadori & Antinori 1872 meant and what the Italian museum meant. Salvidori says Heuglin called horus a variety of C. affinis. A subspecies? Salvidori say no C. horus is a full species. Therefore Antinori’s Sudan bird is the type of C. horus. With authors Salvidori and Antinori? I’m not sure it works that way.

The name is to be attributed to Heuglin 1869, who first associated it to a description. (Heuglin could admittedly be read as not having treated this name as valid but, even in this case, the name would still date from his work as a result of having been subsequently adopted by Salvadori & Antinori 1872.)

The type(s) should be the specimen(s) that formed the base of Heuglin's description.

This will include any specimen that would have been labelled as "Cypselus Horus" by Hartlaub & Finsch prior to 1869. This might, or not, include Antinori's Blue Nile specimen (the Torino bird) -- but more likely not. As noted by Mark above, Heuglin cited Antinori's 1864 Catalogo, where this specimen is listed in his synonymy; but he did not associate it directly to the Varierät; in the Catalogo, this specimen is called Cypselus galilejensis, and comes with a Latin diagnosis that is nearly identical to the diagnosis given by Antinori in the OD of this taxon, and nothing that would suggest it matched Heuglin's description of the Varietät better : this specimen could be a type only if Heuglin knew how the specimen looked like from some other source (and forgot to make this apparent). In the text, Heuglin cited specimens (einige -- more than one) from South Africa, labelled Cypselus caffer in the Stuttgarter Naturalienkabinet, which he said he also included in dieser Art (i.e., in Cypselus affinis), and which resembled the C. horus variety; he gave a separate short description of these birds; in my reading, this shows that Heuglin did not include these birds positively in horus, hence I don't think they can have been types of the taxon either. (I cannot tell whether there might have been other birds at Stuttgart than these.)

Beware that Brooke 1971, when he described Apus horus fuscobrunneus, attributed horus directly to Salvadori & Antinori 1872, and apparently treated Antinori's bird as the type. This is not tenable if the name dates from Heuglin 1869.

Last edited:
“Laurent is of course correct” as stated by Mr. Donsker. Thank you for the link to the 1872 Atti and the 1855 Naumannia with the nice drawing by Antinori. In an article from 2011 “There remains a need to evaluate all the names that Heuglin introduced, including nomina nova, and to establish the existence and location of the type or types of each new name”

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234075646_Theodor_von_Heuglin's_Ornithologie_Nordost-Afrika's_der_Nilquellenlander_und_Kusten-Gebiete_des_Rothen_Meeres_und_des_nordlichen_Somal-Landes_-_Notes_relevant_to_the_dates_of_publication_of_its_parts .

Perhaps we are closer to this helped by a new project.

Global Natural History Initiative Builds Groundbreaking Database To Address 21st-Century Challenges | Smithsonian Institution .

In 1865 Sclater strongly links Antinori’s new swift to C. affinis. Finsch mentions a west African specimen that is C. affinis like in Bremen?

ser.2:v.1=no.1-4 (1865) - Ibis - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Antinori’s C. dubius description mentions Heuglin and berbers and might be horus?

Thanks again Laurent.

Have the following taxa ended up in any recent phylogenetic analysis?

Zoonavena, Telecanthura, and Mearnsia?

I am...suspicious...of their placement within Chaeturini, and at least one analysis suggests Hirundapus is actually more closely related to or within Apodini. So I am wondering what else might be mistaken for the group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back