• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Xolmiini (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

Chesser R.T., Harvey M.G., Brumfield R.T. & Derryberry E.P., 2020. A revised classification of the Xolmiini (Aves: Tyrannidae: Fluvicolinae), including a new genus for Muscisaxicola fluviatilis. Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 133: 35-48.

There

I wondered who would spot my deliberate mistake.
If Syrtidicola is from the Greek name Surtis, Surtidos for some shallow treacherous gulfs on the coast of Libya what is the relevance?

Etymology.—The generic name, from
the stem of the genitive syrtidos (sandbar
or sandbank) Latinized from Greek and
the Latin cola (dweller), when combined
with the species name fluviatilis (riverine),
indicates that this species inhabits sandbars along rivers. The name is masculine in
gender.

In my notes, I have:
Name : Myiophila
Authority : Reichenbach
Year : 1850
OD ref : Reichenbach HGL. 1849-52. Avium Systema Naturale. Das naturliche System der Vögel mit hundert Tafeln grösstentheils Original-Abbildungen der bis jetzt entechten fast zwölfhundert typischen formen. Expedition der vollständigsten Naturgeschichte, Dresden & Leipzig.
Page : pl. LXVII
OD link : https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/47618497
Included nominal species : None in OD (illustration only). In: Cabanis J, Heine F. 1859-1860. Museum heineanum. Verzeichniss der ornithologischen Sammlung des Oberamtmann Ferdinand Heine, auf Gut St. Burchard vor Halberstadt. II. Theil, die Schreivögel enthaltend. R Ftrantz, Halberstadt.; p. 40; https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/49587893 : Fluvicola pica
Type species : Muscicapa pica Boddaert 1783
Type species valid syn. : in use
Fixation by : subsequent monotypy
Fixation ref : Cabanis J, Heine F. 1859-1860. Museum heineanum. Verzeichniss der ornithologischen Sammlung des Oberamtmann Ferdinand Heine, auf Gut St. Burchard vor Halberstadt. II. Theil, die Schreivögel enthaltend. R Ftrantz, Halberstadt.
Page : 40
Fixation link : https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/49587893
Type OD ref : Boddaert P. 1783. Table des planches enluminéez d'histoire naturelle de M. D'Aubenton; Avec les denominations de M.M. de Buffon, Brisson, Edwards, Linnaeus et Latham, precedé d'une notice des principaux ouvrages zoologiques enluminés. S.n., Utrecht.
Page : 42
Type OD link : https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/27822662
Notes :
ICZN :
Online publication : n/a
Available : yes
Family : Tyrannidae​

Thanks.
Hoping it wasn't preoccupied, because unfortunately I deleted the email James sent me
There are two junior homonyms (one in Platysteiridae, the other in Pachycephalidae), but nothing senior, so far as I'lm aware.

There is an issue with the typification, actually -- before Cabanis, Gray (Gray GR. 1855. Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. British Museum, London.; p. 48; https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/17136687) listed Myiophila as a syn. of Arundinicola, for which he designated Todus leucocephalus Pallas as a type. If Gray is regarded as having thereby "expressly included" Todus leucocephalus in Myiophila (through the synonymy), then the type under the standard provisions of the Code becomes Todus leucocephalus Pallas.
(What Reichenbach's plate shows is quite clearly pica Boddaert. But an illustrated specimen cannot act as the type of the genus -- only a nominal species, with a given type series, can. The inclusion would in fact not even be a "misidentification" of the type by Gray - it would merely reflect his suggestive opinion that Todus leucocephalus Pallas and the bird illustrated by Reichenbach are congeneric, which is a perfectly respectable reason to include the species in Reichenbach's genus.)

But an illustrated specimen cannot act as the type of the genus -- only a nominal species, with a given type series, can.
We should add this possibility in the Code, the possibility of fixing a type species from an illustration published before 1899 (if this can avoid creating a new name)

June 18 Revise the linear sequence and generic classification of the tribe Xolmiini.

Regarding this, I asked David Donsker:

"What looks like a short question: in your task of revising the tribe Xolmiini, does that include changing the English name of M. alpinus from Paramo Ground Tyrant to Plain-capped Ground Tyrant, to correspond to SACC's usage?"

His response:

"Thanks for the question. It's unlikely that we will change the English name of M. alpinus, at least in the immediate future.

Just a little bit of extra background. The English name "Plain-capped" Ground Tyrant was traditionally used for M. alpina sensu lato since at least Meyer de Schauensee (1966). Chesser (2000) showed by mtDNA that the subspecies M. a. grisea wasn't even particularly closely related to M. alpina alpina, but offered no English names should they be split. Ridgely & Tudor (1994) suspected that M. grisea was a separate species and recommended that in the event that M. alpina be split, that the traditional name, Plain-capped Ground Tyrant, follow the grisea subspecies and that M. alpina sensu stricto should assume the name of Paramo Ground Tyrant. This wasn't a bad suggestion since the crown of M. grisea is even plainer than the crown of M. alpina sensu stricto. It's unfortunate that when Howard & Moore 3rd edition was published in 2003 that the editors chose to call the recently split M. grisea Taczanowski's Ground Tyrant and chose to retain the name Plain-capped Ground Tyrant for M. alpina. As you know, SACC based its original list on H&M 3, and thus adopted its names for these two species.

IOC initially chose to follow Ridgley's sensibly applied names to the split. But we eventually caved to using Taczanowski's Ground Tyrant for M. grisea, rather than Plain-capped Ground Tyrant, to avoid further confusion. We thought then, and we currently still think, that dropping "Plain-capped Ground Tyrant" completely, and adopting two different names for the daughter species was/is the far better choice.

You may be aware that fairly early on, a proposal to the SACC to rename these species failed to get enough votes largely, I believe, because of the way in which the proposal was written and the choice of names that were offered.

By all accounts, Parmo Ground Tyrant is a very appropriate name for M. alpina. I must admit that using something other than Taczanowski's Ground Tyrant would have been a better choice for M. grisea considering that other historical names are available including the very excellent "Ash-colored Ground Tyrant", But that's all just history. Likely, all this will fade from memory and the names now adopted by SACC, Clements, H&M and HBW/Birdlife will prevail. But I'm not quite ready to yield the linguistic "high ground"."

Wasn't it introduced in Tello et al 2009?
Xolmiini is wholly nude in Tello et al 2009.
Agriornithini is OK, but must be attributed to Desmarest 1857. Chenu & Des Murs 1852 used it only in non-latinized form, and the name has not since been in wide use and consistently attributed to them, hence it does not satisfy 11.7.2, and is not available from them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back