• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Alps (1 Viewer)

bertebob

Hello ,

I am planning a trip to go to the Alps (French Alps) maybe as if worth it a little trip also to Italy or Switzerland

So I would love to get some information on some good Birding spots ?

We would love to see birds of prey (vultures etc.) but also enjoy as much as possible of the other birds and wildlife if possible !

Any tips and recommendations are very welcome

Thanks a lot

Regards

Bob

It depends where you're thinking of staying Bob and at what time of year, today for example I spent a few hours leisurely birding (with Bittern of this parish) around the Col de la Colombière in Haute-Savoie (about 90 minutes from Geneva or an hour from Annecy), mammal-wise I saw a Stoat early on then together we saw Chamois, Bouquetin(Ibex) and Marmottes. Birds included 30 plus Griffon Vultures, four different Bearded Vultures, two Short-toed Eagles, Kestrel, Cuckoo, Tree and Water Pipit, Dunnock, Black Redstart, Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush, Northern Wheatear, Whinchat, Ring Ousel, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Alpine Chough (probably Red billed Chough briefly too), Citril Finch, Linnet and Yellowhammer. With a bit more walking we could easily have added Snowfinch, Alpine Accentor, Rock Bunting, Wallcreeper and Lesser Whitethroat which are all present at this time of year.
Further south in the French Alps you can see more Mediterranean species as well of course and a bigger selection of birds of prey and vultures, the Gorges du Verdon area for example gives you a chance of Bonelli's Eagle, Egyptian Vulture and Cinerous Vulture.
The 2019 published Where to Watch Birds in France from Pelagic Publishing has details of all the good spots so that might be worth getting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back