• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Mallorca damselflies and dragonflies

Sorry for going off-piste (yet again).

Following some correspondence on the forum during the summer, I've made an effort to track down information about the distribution and status of Mallorca's odonata. I've put together the attached notes which summarise what I've found from various sources (including some provided by Martin - thanks Martin).

If anyone can add to these I'd really appreciate some details. Equally, if there are corrections or comments I'd like those too. Feel free to DM me (or I've put contact details in the notes).

Hope everyone has a happy and peaceful Christmas.

Stew

Attachments

• Some notes on the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Mallorca (v5).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 535
Thanks Stew, no problem going off piste, many visitors and residents in Mallorca also love butterflies, moths, dragonflies and mammals. It’s especially nice to have other things to think about during this quiet period. It’s a beautiful report Stew, really professional with great photos. I’m sure it will be of interest to many people.
Sorry about the lack of news, I have been in the UK for most of the time over the last three months visiting my poorly father and then sadly attending his funeral.
Still good numbers of Brambling, Hawfinch and especially Siskin.
Quite a few Fieldfare around but very few Redwing or Mistle Thrush.
I hope to get out a bit over the holiday period and will have some news to report.
Yes, best wishes to all over the festive season, Mike

Winter delights

Jmaj dec2017 071 (640x479).jpg maj dec2017 098 (640x513).jpg maj dec2017 106 (640x468).jpg.maj dec2017 033 (640x433).jpg

Just a few pics of some of the winter visitors to the island this month.

Wishing a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all who read and contribute to this forum.

Thanks all. Nice birds Kevin. I left a message on your phone, not sure if you got it but we will meet up next time you are over.
I am going to Son Real on the 27th and hope to add Dunnock to my year list, I just can’t find one anywhere. There’s always one bird in every year that proves difficult.
Happy holidays to all. I will post results of the Bigyear at the months end, it’s very close at the top.
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Craig. Yes, lots of sightings. I have seen quite a few already. A few at Castel Alaro, one at San Salvador, some at Puig Major, Galatzo and most other high peaks. They stay until spring, 28th March was the last date in 2016.
Mike

Thanks all. Nice birds Kevin. I left a message on your phone, not sure if you got it but we will meet up next time you are over.
I am going to Son Real on the 27th and hope to add Dunnock to my year list, I just can’t find one anywhere. There’s always one bird in every year that proves difficult.
Happy holidays to all. I will post results of the Bigyear at the months end, it’s very close at the top.
Mike[/QUOTE
I saw Dunnock at Son Real and Albufera last week. I'm back 8th Jan so hope catch you next time.
Kevin

I hope everyone is having a good day.
Results are in for the total number of raptors seen on autumn migration.
The most numerous were as follows:
Marsh Harrier. 88
Black Kite 30
Honey Buzzard 285
Common Kestrel 29
Booted Eagle 451
Thanks go to Lalo for keeping the list.
Every year is different, Common Kestrel was abundant last year but not this year.
Extraordinary numbers of Booted Eagle came through, a record number.
I was told by quite a few Birders some years ago that Marsh Harrier was by far the most numerous species seen on migration but clearly this is not so.
A few other species were seen but only in small numbers.
It always makes interesting reading.
Mike

I overlooked 31 Hobby that we’re seen. Nearly all sightings were from Cap de Ses Salines.
I will be at Son Real on the 27th, mid morning onwards, if anyone is around.
Mike

A very windy walk around Son Real today, it’s a great reserve at any time of the year.
Lots of Crossbills and Hawfinch but still no flaming Dunnock. I give up.
I will post results of the Bigyear as soon as I have them. Mike

There I was, ready to post news of a very rare Naumann’s thrush, when I read about a bridge being built over the sea to the marine reserve of Malgrats, and finally I twigged it. For the fourth year running I have fallen for it, it’s April Fools day here today. Last year it was Waxwings at Albufera, Eagle owls breeding the year before and something else just as ridiculous before that. I even put a big red ring around the date in our diary. It made no difference, I am that gullible. All in the best spirits though. Mike

For anyone who travelled to the Tramuntana mountains via the Soller tunnel and paid five euros each way, the good news is that it is now free.
It was the most expensive toll in Spain I believe so the journey to Cuber for me and many others will now be less painful. Mike

Well, that’s about it for the year. It’s been a good one with many memorable days.
Bird of the year was without doubt the Red-flanked Bluetail found by Pep and Joan. What a stunner.
The sight of record numbers of migrating Booted Eagle soaring overhead will stay with me and seeing glorious Honey Buzzard passing through is hard to beat.
My personal best was a Puffin flying east past the Cap de Ses Salines. I hope the record gets accepted, it was a absolute joy to see. I leapt in the air with delight.
I will start a new thread in the morning.
All the very best to everyone, Mike

and many thanks to all contributors to this thread. It has been great to read all your reports and especially to those people who sent trip reports with some brilliant photos. It all adds to our knowledge of this beautiful Island.
I am very much looking forward to another year of living and birding here. Mike

and many thanks to all contributors to this thread. It has been great to read all your reports and especially to those people who sent trip reports with some brilliant photos. It all adds to our knowledge of this beautiful Island.
I am very much looking forward to another year of living and birding here. Mike

And thanks of course to you Mike for keeping the forum going. For many of us the forum sustains us between trips, and as visits get closer helps us to plan. In my last couple of visits your company has been a joy. - thank you, and good birding in 2018!

Stew

Dear Mike, all: Thanks from my side, too! Although I am a quiet reader most of the year, I really enjoy this thread! Will do my best to contribute more frequently to it in the future!

Best regards and happy New Year, Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back