Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cat v Grey Squirrel

Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 05:59   #1
andyadcock

Cat v Grey Squirrel

I watched from my kitchen window yesterday as a cat, made a real effort to catch a Grey Squirrel, has anyone seen this happen, do cats kill Squirrels?

I turned out to be quite funny, the Squirrel, bolted under a gate and proceeded to sit, very calmly, eating on the ground, almost face to face within 20cm of the cat but from behind the safety of a metal fence, the cast was driven mad by this and was pacing up and down as the Squirrel seemed to mock it.

When the cat realised that it could also get under the gate to go after the Squirrel, it just ran up the tree and looked down at the hapless cat with seemingly no concern at all.

Not a cat playing with a mouse but a Squirrel, playing with a cat!

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 14th April 2018 at 14:51.
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 07:48   #2
Farnboro John

My brother's current cat brought in six in one Autumn and still catches them occasionally. He habitually took them under Dave's bed to eat and was distinctly miffed to have them taken away. Grey Squirrel is no problem to a skilled and determined adult cat.

John
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 08:00   #3
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
My brother's current cat brought in six in one Autumn and still catches them occasionally. He habitually took them under Dave's bed to eat and was distinctly miffed to have them taken away. Grey Squirrel is no problem to a skilled and determined adult cat.

John
Cheers John, I thought that a GS may be a slightly more formidable prey item for a domestic moggy, clearly not.

A
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 16:48   #4
Nigel Davies

Hi A

Got a black tom who often brings home squirrels and rabbits but the worst was when my wife and I were having lunch he came home with a very alive stoat which he released in our kitchen.

Nigel
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 18:29   #5
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davies View Post
Hi A

Got a black tom who often brings home squirrels and rabbits but the worst was when my wife and I were having lunch he came home with a very alive stoat which he released in our kitchen.

Nigel
I had no idea that cats would take Squirrels, shouldn't be surprised I guess.

A
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 10:35   #6
tperry

How do domestic cats get along with Pine Martens?
It is likely that Pine Martens will be reintroduced in the Forest of Dean in the near future which could bring them into contact with the local cats.

Tony
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 11:20   #7
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperry View Post
How do domestic cats get along with Pine Martens?
It is likely that Pine Martens will be reintroduced in the Forest of Dean in the near future which could bring them into contact with the local cats.

Tony
PM are obviously bigger but I think that an aggressive cat would still take one? Not sure a domestic moggy would take one on but a hungry, feral cat might?

I hadn't realised how big Pine Marten actually is until I saw a stuffed one in Russia last year.

A
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 13:37   #8
snowyowl

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada and Central Florida, USA
Here in the Ocala National Forest, where we spend our winters, there is a large population of E. Gray Squirrels, if I look out I can probably count a dozen in sight at any given time. They do a fair bit of damage, chewing wiring etc. moment. Locally here we have a feral cat problem. The cats are definitely hunting the squirrels. I've seen cats climb high into the oaks in pursuit of the squirrels. I don't know how many the cats actually catch but they definitely get some because I've seen the remains. Some people are cheering for the cats, some for the squirrels.
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 14:27   #9
Farnboro John

Foxes can be an issue for Pine Martens - in some parts of Scotland the shortage of breeding dens inaccessible to foxes is held to be a limiting factor - but I doubt cats are in the same league.

The Irish have shown that Pine Martens are highly effective against Grey Squirrels, so the sooner we have them in numbers across England and Wales the better.

Nothing will start to get a grip on the feral cat problem till we have Lynx in numbers.

John
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 17:46   #10
snowyowl

Here in the forest, we have bobcats, coyotes and foxes, even the odd panther, but nothing seems to control the feral cats.
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 19:41   #11
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl View Post
Here in the forest, we have bobcats, coyotes and foxes, even the odd panther, but nothing seems to control the feral cats.
I definitely hear what you say! Probably I am over-optimistic then, and we need another approach to that particular problem.

John
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 20:04   #12
snowyowl

Some people here are trapping the cats, taking them to be spayed then releasing back into the area. I'm not optimistic but maybe it will help.
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 07:10   #13
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl View Post
Some people here are trapping the cats, taking them to be spayed then releasing back into the area. I'm not optimistic but maybe it will help.
If you've taken the bother to catch them, despite the spaying, they should not be re-released to wreak havoc on local wildlife.

People in defence of cats should realise, that what you actually have with even roaming donmestic cats, are neighbourhoods with artificially high numbers of an apex predator which is not natures design.

A
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 13:33   #14
snowyowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
If you've taken the bother to catch them, despite the spaying, they should not be re-released to wreak havoc on local wildlife.

People in defence of cats should realise, that what you actually have with even roaming donmestic cats, are neighbourhoods with artificially high numbers of an apex predator which is not natures design.

A
I agree but there is a whole organized effort to this. There area number of groups dedicated to catch, spay and release. Part of the rationale is that if one group of cats is removed then more will move in from domestic cats straying or being deliberately released. I really don't know the answer to the feral cat problem although I think that mistakenly kind people who feed the cats are adding to the problem.
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 14:26   #15
dantheman
Bah humbug

It is an ecological tool to release non-viable individuals back into an ecosystem - flooding with non-breeders means that the chance of any young being produced by any mating is low as one or both partners are effectively infertile. Not quite sure how effective this would be with feral cats though (longevity, others moving into an area etc etc).

Going in with spades might be effective though (but not for the squeamish).
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 15:01   #16
jape

in Oz feral cats are possibly worse even than rabbits for ecological destruction. no-one except a few greenies that cannot read statistics and reports bats an eyelid if you kill them. i killed at least 80 in 20 yrs, probably 100. they reckon 7 small animals a day to a feral cat so i saved nearly a quarter of a million native lives plus the ones their progeny would have killed. i cant do the maths for cat reproduction but that would be a fair few more. and some feral dogs too. i kept dogs and a cat but breeding was controlled as was activity outside.

fewer feral cats in uk but they all kill birds at any opportunity. i watch them hunt daily, pampered pets that kill.
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 20:31   #17
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jape View Post
in Oz feral cats are possibly worse even than rabbits for ecological destruction. no-one except a few greenies that cannot read statistics and reports bats an eyelid if you kill them. i killed at least 80 in 20 yrs, probably 100. they reckon 7 small animals a day to a feral cat so i saved nearly a quarter of a million native lives plus the ones their progeny would have killed. i cant do the maths for cat reproduction but that would be a fair few more. and some feral dogs too. i kept dogs and a cat but breeding was controlled as was activity outside.

fewer feral cats in uk but they all kill birds at any opportunity. i watch them hunt daily, pampered pets that kill.
They don't even have to be feral, I'm a great believer that if you have a pet, you should invest in it's care and not just leave it to roam.

I personally cannot understand why a cat can shit all over the place and kill all manner of wildlife where a single dog, would be shot for the same.

A
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 20:58   #18
jape

Quote:
I personally cannot understand why a cat can shit all over the place and kill all manner of wildlife where a single dog, would be shot for the same.

A
well... humans do it and they're meant to have minds, souls even
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 21:03   #19
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
They don't even have to be feral, I'm a great believer that if you have a pet, you should invest in it's care and not just leave it to roam.

As a cat owner, I agree.

Quote:
Unfortunately I agree here too.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 08:50   #20
andyadcock

Quote:
Try shitting on my lawn and see what happens......man or beast

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 17th April 2018 at 08:52.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 09:27   #21
jape

there's probably enough bs around there already ... ;-)
Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 10:27   #22
andyadcock

Quote:
there's probably enough bs around there already ... ;-)
Had someone responded thusly to you mr Jape, you'd have been bleating about incivility.

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 17th April 2018 at 10:40.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 11:00   #23
jape

perhaps mr AA, it would have depended on the wit of the writer. i assumed you had some. your commentary often shows intelligence, if little humour.

tonight my supper is lamb shank.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 11:27   #24
coaltit

I would get the local pair of robins nest in the Ivy on the fence, even blue tits in their nest box close by thou I,m not sure if they liked one anothers company thou or one nested one year and thee other did,nt in that order, but the cats that come through the garden now stopped both of those species nesting to find safer confines, I enjoyed Watching the robins nesting and blue tits plus rearing of their young, after such birds as hedge sparrow and blackbird were robbed of their young by crows and magpies mainly magpies, just after 2000 I had a pair of song thrush nest in early march after about a week a carrion crow took the eggs, not forgetting the squirrels, but with the cats as well any successful birds deserve a gold star in breeding success luckily there are some.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 14:26   #25
andyadcock

Quote:
perhaps mr AA, it would have depended on the wit of the writer. i assumed you had some. your commentary often shows intelligence, if little humour.

tonight my supper is lamb shank.
You're the first to start squealing at something or other but you still have a sneeky little dig and then claim humour, pull the other one.

Had someone called you a bullshitter, which is pretty much the gist, you'd have been firing off all indignant as usual. You found the caps lock I see, always assumed yours was broken or you didn't know where it was, perhaps the use of 'mr' was humour that bypassed your Wildeian wit....?

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 17th April 2018 at 14:37.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: