• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Excursion Ex (1 Viewer)

cdeviney

Has anyone tried the Bushnell Excursion EX?

8x36
426' FOV
5.5' Close Focus
21.5 oz

8x42
414'FOV
6.5' Close Focus
22.1 Oz

A wide angle Legend?

Yup, I've got one. That field-of-view really is very wide. And the close focus is very close. And they're light and pretty bright. But....

Well, I guess I'll just say that hopefully they all aren't like the one UPS delivered to me last Wed.
No, they're... not bad. Yeah, let's just say that. They're not bad.

Have tried the new 8 x 36 - overall a lovely little thing with its open style hinge......at around £199 in the UK it should be worth a look if thats the price range you're in.

Not a Legend as regards cosmetics or design.

Any more details on the 8x36?

Brightness?

Sharpness?

Contrast?

How is the FOV? Distortions at the edge? Rolling ball effect when panning?

Grip and balance in the hand?

How does it compare to other common bins you've used? Other 7 or 8x mid-30s?

Curious minds etc, etc :)

Cabelas now has the new Excursion EX 8 x 42 and 10 x 42 listed in their Fall Master Catalog Edition II. 24.5 oz for both. 8 x 42 has 426' FOV. 10 x 42 has 341' FOV. $199.99 and 219.99. Camo version of the 10x for $239.99. Phase Coated. "Locking focus wheel." What ever that is?

BTW these are open frame double bridged Roofs. They look more like EDG's than SL's. (Whoops, that is EL's!)
Bob

Last edited:
Eagle Optics (and others) has the 8x42 too

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5214

Field of View 414 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 17.2 mm
Close Focus 6.5 ft.
Weight 22.1 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) TBD
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

Anyone tried the 8x36 ... it's at that competitive $150 price point for inexpensive mid-size bins. Even wider FOV than the 8x42 but not that much llighter.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5211

Field of View 426 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 17.8 mm
Close Focus 5.5 ft.
Weight 21.5 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) TBD
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

Obviously the open bridge is the look to have for 2009. I'm waiting for someone to call my porros "flared bins".

I took a look at the 8x42 but not the 8x36. I was looking at it and the Cabelas Alpha Extremes. The Alpha Extremes were slightly better optically (about the same size physically). They are both very ergonomic with their shape and weight.

I may end up with 8x42 Excursions. But I have one more 8x42 to check out, on order. If I return them, one of these might do. As a general 8x42. If it does not beat my 8x32 by some criterion, even brightness, will send it back.

The 22 0z is close to my ideal weight for an 8x.

I got a chance to look at this binoculars in person. The mechanic construction of binoculars is not.... well, that great! I mean I can see rough edges near the hinge on the objective lens side. The rubber cover looks cheap (comparing with Legend or regular Excursion). To be frank, I am little disappointed. But on a bright side, we started seeing the open frame design started coming down the price scale, until Barska starts making them too.

I really would like to see some actual difference in the different types of Excursions. it would seem they would save by using some shared optics.

Bushnell Excursion EX at 42mm has the same optical system as Excursion EX at 42mm. But the Excursion Exs come with Open hinge design and Magnesium alloy body

That's funny. I was looking at these yesterday on the Bushnell site and wondering so what's the difference between these and the non-EX Excursions. And I didn't notice they were open hinge (open bridge). ;)

http://www.bushnell.com/general/binoculars_excursion_ex.cfm?section=General Use

Does it make an practical difference in handling or is it just "aping the big boys"?

The other interesting point is that there is only 1oz in weight (28g) difference between the 8x36 and 8x42 (the latter costs $50 more) so the bias would be to the bigger bin.

I'd love to hear some user reports of these.

Last edited:
Insane deal on non-EX 10x42's

Hey folks, just joined!

FWIW, I just got myself an insane deal on the 10x42 Excursions (non-EX) at B&H. And when I say insane, I mean it literally... completely defies logic. The sale price of the bins was $164 if you bought them on their own, but when packaged together with a pair of $150 Bushnell iPod speakers, the whole package was only $99! Yes, that's correct, for $65 LESS than buying the bins on their own you get an extra set of iPod speakers. Even the guys who worked at the counter couldn't believe it. They checked their computer about five times, called over an extra supervisor, and examined the two packages to make sure they were the same model. In the end, two of them said, "Holy crap! I'm buying one of these myself!"

I'm probably going to throw the speakers on eBay and see if I can get $70 for them, reducing the cost of my brand new and not refurbished 10x42 Excursions to a whopping $30!|:D| How did I do for buying my first real pair of bins?

Her's the link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/481019-REG/Bushnell_270011_10x42_Excursion_Binocular_.html

Last edited:
Nicely done. Now that is what I call a deal.

Do they have any deals on the 8x Excursion models with any speakers?

;)

Do they have any deals on the 8x Excursion models with any speakers?

Unfortunately not. I understand that 8x is the most common birding magnification, but considering I am moving up from using a $15 pair of 12x25 compact Tascos, the 10x seemed entirely manageable! :t: For me the Excursions are a whole new world of quality!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back