• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2011 (1 Viewer)

Well done Clive. I have yet to see Penduline tit, you are doing very well recently! I will be there tomorrow as well as Albufereta for (hopefully) Short-eared owl.

Salobrar de Campos yesterday: some evidence of migration, 1 Yellow wagtail, about 50 Barn swallow, 5 House martins. Also, about 80 Flamingos, 2 Osprey, 1 Red kite, 3 Marsh harrier, 1 Hen harrier and a Peregrine, 2 Great white egrets, 5 Black-tailed godwits, 58 Dunlin, 57 Golden plover and a lonely Oystercatcher. (only two reported this year!)

A Puffin and two Great skuas have been seen near the island of Dragonera as far as my translation skills go! Both hard to see birds here. A small group of us are going to Albufera Wednesday so we hope for some good birds and early migration. I will post.

Hi
can anyone give me any tips regarding Orchids, we are staying in Porta Pollenca last week of April.

cheers Nick

Hi Nick

I'll be there at the same time but I'm no botanist. I believe that there are 60 species on the island and I've seen a few during my trips there. Some have been seen at the reserve of s'Albufereta on the bay of Pollensa just before Alcudia, others on the dune system of Es Comu - part ofthe Parc Natural de s'Albufera (the orchids of which are detailed in a booklet Guia de les Plantes [Plants of the paths, marsh and meadows] that you can pick up in the UK or from the reception centre in the Parc) and some in the 'fossil dune' system either side of the roads heading inland from the roundabout just outside Can Picafort.
There's also a brief thread here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189630 but the area of Son Bosc has been levelled so the population of O. robusta is probably destroyed, or much reduced.
You may know about this site: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Orchids_of_Mallorca
I hope this helps

Martin

Albufera today. 74 species including some migration, 2 Common swift, 2 Yellow wagtails (flava) many Barn swallow and House martin. Also one Spoonbill, 3 Glossy ibis, Hen harrier, many Marsh harrier and a Red kite. Penduline tits are still present at the reserve. Also reported recently were: Slender-billed gull and Montagu's harrier. There have been two Short-toed eagles through the Island yesterday.

Hi Nick, this might be a little early for your trip but we found several species of orchid in the wooded area up and to the left of the beach at Mondrago during our Mallorcan visit last year (last two weeks in March). We're also back on Mallorca again for 9 nights starting next Thursday 24th March, I'll try and remember to let you know if there is anything about this year. John.

Last edited:
Hi again Mike. We'll be out in Mallorca again for 9 nights starting next Thursday 24th March. Looks like you haven't had to employ the snow shoes this year so far and, from your listings, it looks like migration is warming up. Can you let us know what the current status is of the entry to the Boquer, via the private house.
Regards, John.

Hi there, entrance to the Boquer remains as before, nothing has changed yet. Migration is well under way now. Lots of Common swift streaming through, 5 Alpine swift yesterday and I am sure Pallid will follow soon. House martins are back in some of the towns and Barn and Red-rumped swallows abound. Albufera and Boquer should be good. Let me know if you are in the Mondrago area, you could always pop in for a coffee! Mike

Hi Mike, many thanks for the invite. By the time we get through the airport, pick up car, get up to Alcudia Garden, check in and pick up supplies at the local supermarket, Thursday will be gone. Have plans for Albufera on both Fridays 25th and 1st with the other 6 days fluid along the lines of Porto Colom/Mondrago, Son Real/S'illot des Porros/Son Baulo, Cuber (perhaps all the way to Puig de l'Ofre this time), Salinas de Levante/Cap Blanc, Albufereta, Talaia d'Albercutx/Ses Cases Velles/Boquer with the standby of the Palma Aquarium again if we get a rainy day. I think we're caved out after the last couple of years so we may give those a miss this year.
Again, thanks for the invite and we'll let you know when we arrive.
John :)

The first Woodchat of the year today near S'alqueria Blanca. Very lovely it was too, atop a bush in the sunshine. Great bird. JP. Sounds like you have a very busy schedule! You are covering all the best places so good luck! I hope you see some great birds. There is a really interesting aquarium in Colonia san Jordi (near Salobrar de Campos) showing all marine life of Mallorca. It is great on a rainy day and it is free. Well worth a visit, I saw a lot of things I never knew existed and learned a lot.

As an avid follower of the Mallorca thread and not yet made a post, Mike's post of Friday prompts me to jump in. We also had Wc shrike on Friday evening on our local patch, which when in Mallorca is on the outskirts of Port de Soller. This morning there were blue rock thrush, siskin, tree sparrow and the usual sardinian warbler on my walk.

We have a keen birder arriving at the end of the month and wonder if the Eleanors will have arrived by then as a trip to Dragonara could be added to the itinerary, assuming the boat is running.

We have a keen birder arriving at the end of the month and wonder if the Eleanors will have arrived by then as a trip to Dragonara could be added to the itinerary, assuming the boat is running.[/QUOTE]

Hi David.
The Dragonera boat is up and running as long as the weather is OK.
A bit early for Eleonora's falcon I'm afraid. These guys usually get here at the very end of April/first week of May. Very late breeders as they time their chicks to coincide with the southbound passerine migration invasion.

Steve

A lovely Red-rumped swallow this morning at my local patch (Mondrago) I missed the Magpie there which is a shame as it was thought to be a genuine migrant. Also reports of Alpine choughs in the mountains so I will go at the week-end and hope to connect. Otherwise a few Wheatears and other common migrants but the winds have not be good so lots more to come when the direction changes. A large concentration of Griffon vultures last week-end by Dragonera, about 40, but let's hope it is not the influx we had a couple of years ago departing. That would be a shame as it used to be a really hard bird to see here but recently there have been many.

I will send my address and mobile number by private message. I go to Mondrago most days, it is only 5 mins away so let me know when you are there and I can give an update of what's around. I have seen quite a few orchids recently as I believe Mondrago is good for them.

Hi Mike

Glad to see migration's warming up as it is here in C Spain.

Are you sure that the swifts you mentioned earlier were commons? There was a mass arrival of pallid swifts in Extremadura about 10 days ago, and even a few in W Madrid towards the end of last week (it's a rare breeder in C Madrid, but unknown elsewhere in the province).

Pallids of course arrive well before commons (usually from late Feb in Extremadura), and depart well after (regularly into October), in part since they have two broods. Commons are yet to come in and I saw none in EX (during the last 4 days) despite plenty of pallids at breeding colonies in Trujillo. Alpines come in early too and were present in Monfragüe and Mérida (as expected), though arrived late this year, from the end of the first week of March onwards.

Regards

John

ps. First tree pipit going over in EX this morning and other migrants during last 4 days include r-r swallows, plenty of booted and s-t eagles, common cuckoos, subalpine warblers, etc. First bee-eaters have been reported too :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back