• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (1 Viewer)

Well Paul you need to stay in your car, which is what I did today and got these!

Attachments

• DSC_8451.jpg
    DSC_8451.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_8466.jpg
    DSC_8466.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_8472.jpg
    DSC_8472.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_8520.jpg
    DSC_8520.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 63
Mark

Whist I was at the rear of the Old Monastery I did note a Roller taking quite an interest in one of the holes in the wall, don't know if that was where it set up home.

When the bird spotted me in the car flew to the metal post to the left, then into the trees a little further on

I'd like to come back out to Murcia to coincide with autumn migration probably September time. Any other date suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

Mid to late September would be better, October would be best! You should get large numbers of Bee-eaters gathering before migration, and usually one or more of the overwintering Great Spotted Eagles should be back at El Hondo. The wader numbers can also be quite impressive too in October.

Some images from the trip...

Attachments

• untitled-760.jpg
    untitled-760.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 53
  • untitled-261.jpg
    untitled-261.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 63
  • untitled-521.jpg
    untitled-521.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 51
  • untitled-372.jpg
    untitled-372.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 50
And more..

Attachments

• untitled-31.jpg
    untitled-31.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 50
  • untitled-661.jpg
    untitled-661.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 65
  • untitled-117.jpg
    untitled-117.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 42
  • untitled-717.jpg
    untitled-717.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 52
And finally....

Attachments

• untitled-165.jpg
    untitled-165.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 50
  • untitled-579.jpg
    untitled-579.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 48
  • untitled-348.jpg
    untitled-348.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 58
  • untitled-141.jpg
    untitled-141.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 55
And....

Attachments

• untitled-38.jpg
    untitled-38.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 80
  • untitled-85.jpg
    untitled-85.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 95
  • untitled-148.jpg
    untitled-148.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 90
  • untitled-132.jpg
    untitled-132.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 74
Some great shots there, Paul!

A slightly worrying development for those who know the area - the Rufous Bush Robins have failed to show up in one of their regular haunts at Carabassi Woods near Gran Alacant. Last year they were here around 26th May, I have been visiting at least once every other day and as of this morning, still no sign. |:(|

I'm back from my trip. I've never been between April and September before. What a difference! So quiet in my usual haunts. Amazing how many swifts there are. Had no time to go for the Rollers. Finally saw a Spanish Crested tit at Safari Aitana.
The breeding Little Terns at Lo Pagan give good photo opportunities. Spotted flycatchers had young in the park at my urbanization and one at Torrevieja I went to.
Highlight was this, I almost trod on it and it then kept flying around and playing injured for me. Amazing views and lots of pictures taken. Was it nesting?

Attachments

• N3.jpg
    N3.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 124
  • N2.jpg
    N2.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 101
Simon

I think your right, likely young or eggs close by.

These birds are so clever, I once came across a Short Toed Lark that was feeding young, I watch the bird repeatedly go to the nest for over 30 mins from the car right down to about 2 metres distance, I still count see the nest finally getting out between a visit and locating.....amazing camouflage.

Hi guys,

Just back from spending a little time in Hondon de los Frailes, in order to attend a wedding in St Joan d'Alicant.
No time to unpack my bins, let alone actually get out.
Also it was phenomenally hot and humid.

However, Frailes was a really place to stay and as the house belongs to a family friend it's cheap.
So I intend to go back.

Finally my question.
A bit lazy I know, but I don't want to "reinvent the wheel"
Is there any kind of checklist or guide book available for the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back