• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (2 Viewers)

Ian Jeff
All shots massive crops as birds very distant at the Salt Pans,scope needed for good views especially for Flamingo and to pick out and ID waders.
Massive fall of Redstarts up in Boquer Valley on Tuesday morning when there was a brief lull in the weather front,also one or two Pied Flycatcher amongst them and big counts of Serin.
Martin good spot with the Barn Owl,I have still yet
to see a living bird on the island,I managed to see your Little Bittern from the bridge just outside the workshops at S Albufera on Monday afternoon too.
Tuesday afternoon spent sitting on patio watching the lashing rain and lighting with a nice large Malt Whiskey in hand,a perfect way to end a great ten day break.
Mike pleased you caught up with the Dotterel sounds like the weather is still unsettled out there.
Keep up the posts and here's hoping plenty more shows up for you all in the weeks to come.
Roll on Easter.

Bob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 59
Albufera this morning - v dull then brightened up - 20 Marbled Teal, 2 Glossy Ibis from Sa Roca. Waders around the reserve - 8 Spotted Redshank, 8 Greenshank, 2 Dunlin, 2 Ringed Plover, 3 Common Sandpipers, a Redshank. 1 Stone Curlew in the field opposite Vis Centre. 2 Eleonora's Falcons and 10+ Marsh Harriers over reedbeds. Great White Egret Sa Roca. A nice mix of species, 2 Audouin's Gulls from the road between Port Pollensa and Alcudia.

Late afternoon up-date:
I forgot to mention that I had a Lapwing in the field opposite Reception this morning, the first of the autumn records. I also had too long a siesta so the Dotterel will have to wait for another day. Instead I headed for Sa Roca.
I see I´ve been pipped to the post with my sighting of Glossy Ibis at Sa Roca but I only had one juvenile bird feeding at some distance. Ended up with a count of 25 Marbled Duck, 3 Dunlin a couple of Snipe in flight, 2 small groups of Starling (c.60 birds) and 20 Stone Curlew in the field.
Does everyone staying in the north know about Sunday´s Ironman Mallorca race? It will mean that lots of roads will be closed for part, or all, of the day so will restrict movement. Full details here:
http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/b99f724b95c047bba85998f791ce3343/mapa restricciones.pdf
Martin

Last edited:
Thanks Mike for the directions they were spot on, unfortunately could not locate the birds, dispite driving right up to the white house, farmer was ploughing a field infront of house so may have flushed them, will try again this weekend,hopefully may bump into a local birder who has relocated them, 2 red kites were good to see,thanks again.
Good to see martin again, swoping info on different subjects, had G.W. egret at port pollenca where I picked up my permit for tomorrows trip to ternelles.
Steve.

Ironman race is on Sat 27th according to competitors staying at Pollensa.........

Thanks

I seem to have ´lost´ a day. Being here in the Parc it´s easy to lose track of time. I also get my days and dates mixed up becasue the only computer I have access to re-sets the date and time each session - back to 8 November 2005!!
That would also account for why there are so many staff here this morning!
Martin

This morning at Sa Roca: 1 Glossy Ibis still present, 24 Marbled Teal, 4 Dunlin, 4 Greenshank, 1 Green Sand., c.30Spotted Redshank, several Marsh Harrier and a juv. Montague´s Harrier (flying around reeds, etc., to the left of the hide. Hoopoe, Lapwing and several Stone Curlew in the field.
Along the edge of Canal d´en Pujol (leading from the wooden bridge past the small pond to the stone bridges - one very confiding Little Bittern. A second in its usual place near the gate by the main buidlings/workyard.

Martin

Attachments

• DSCF1662 (Large).jpg
    DSCF1662 (Large).jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 93
S´Albufera: late afternoon/early evening up-date.
Steve, you were probably right about your possible Slender-billed Gull as there was one this evening among a group of Black-headed Gulls in front of Sa Roca (terrible pic attached - just too far away for my camera to cope). Also there were 5 Dunlin, 4 Ruff and 2 Temminck´s Stint.
To make up for the gull pic I´ve added one of a moth from last night´s trapping session.
Martin

Attachments

• DSCF1721 (Large).jpg
    DSCF1721 (Large).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF1598 (Large).jpg
    DSCF1598 (Large).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 107
Nice one Martin with the gull, thought it was one but it was difficult to get a poss. I'D with the Briief view I had. And thats a moth and a half!!!.
Ternelles today,
7 Black Vultures, 43 raven in one group that passed over,3 Booted Eagles, 8 redstart, 2 pied Flys, 5cirl buntings, small, groups of xbills, 4 firecrest, 10 sp/Flys.
Called in at depuadora, at 6pm a temmincks stint flew in along with a wood sand, also there, 5 green sand, 6 common sand.
A quick look at the sillot produced, another wood sand, 1 L. Stint, 2 green sand, 1 common sand.
Steve.

Nice photos Martin, thanks. There are only a handful of Slender-billed gull sightings each year so that's a great find. Also a photo of my favourite moth! I just wish I had more time to do moth-ing but not this year. We are due to retire completely at the end of the season so hopefully more time next year. One can only hope I suppose, Mike.

Martin,

Could you help with this moth species is saw at S'Albufera? I'd been going back through photos from my visit in June and saw this day-flying moth on scabious.

Thanks,
Gi

Attachments

• Mallorca moth.jpg
    Mallorca moth.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Mallorca moth1.jpg
    Mallorca moth1.jpg
    812.8 KB · Views: 78
Hi Gi
This is Sitochroa palealis, a species that we have in the UK. It is often seen by day but does come to light. We have a lot of records all from April, May and June so yours fits in perfectly with that we know of its flight period here. The British pyralid book states that it flies in June and July but the Hants Moths website has records from the end of June to the middle of September. It is also a migrant to the UK.
If you, or anyone else, has moth photos or records I´d be pleased to hear from them.
It´s very quiet here in s´Albufera at present with the road being closed so I´m just off for a tour around the hides. Will report back later.
Martin

Hi Gi
This is Sitochroa palealis, a species that we have in the UK. It is often seen by day but does come to light. We have a lot of records all from April, May and June so yours fits in perfectly with that we know of its flight period here. The British pyralid book states that it flies in June and July but the Hants Moths website has records from the end of June to the middle of September. It is also a migrant to the UK.
If you, or anyone else, has moth photos or records I´d be pleased to hear from them.
It´s very quiet here in s´Albufera at present with the road being closed so I´m just off for a tour around the hides. Will report back later.
Martin

Thanks Martin for the id and information. No further moth species from my trip unfortunately.

Gi

Thanks gi. Think id rather be sat on that bus notvdriving mind ;-)

Great trip report Craig, with some smashing photos. Will have to visit Valldemossa when I visit again, looks lovely.

I was on one of those buses coming from Sa Calobra to Puerto Pollensa, amazing bus drivers, views spectacular but did hold my breath a couple of times!

Gi

It´s much easier being the driver - they´re not the ones hanging out over thin air at every corner but sat safely in the middle of the road. I had the front passenger seat once - never again - but I´d happily drive there any day. They´ve even taken the walls away at some of the sharpest corners to let the buses swing out and round!!
Martin

Salinas de Levante this aft from En Trenc road.....25 Spotted Redshanks, 10 Ruff, 3 Greenshanks, 7 Little Stints, 2 Curlew Sandpipers, also 200+ Avocet and 10 Gt Flamingoes in flight, with c40 more feeding distantly. Boquer this morning.....10 Spot Flys, 5 Redstarts, 2 Firecrests, 4 Eleonoras, male Cirl Bunting, male Blue Rock Thrush. A juv Purple Heron on a tiny island in the river running into Port de Pollensa harbour at 10am.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back