• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Serrania de Ronda/Sierra de Grazalema (1 Viewer)

Well you live in a wonderful area. My brother and I stayed in May at Cortijo de las Piletas(would recommend it to anyone-very reasonable rates) and were treated very well by Elisenda and her husband and they speak very highly of you. Booted eagles close by, wryneck in the meadow and melodious warbler in the nearby bushes. Not a bad start.

Both of us are relatively new birders so it was like a child being let loose in a sweetie shop. Made lots of mistakes and probably missed much but loved seeing the vultures, black and black eared wheatears, orioles, dartford warblers, rock bunting and sparrows etc etc. Many more highlights

The drive down to Montejaque and Benoajoan was just stunning with the mountains and rock formations

Would love to go back. You're a very lucky man staying there

Well you live in a wonderful area. My brother and I stayed in May at Cortijo de las Piletas(would recommend it to anyone-very reasonable rates) and were treated very well by Elisenda and her husband and they speak very highly of you. Booted eagles close by, wryneck in the meadow and melodious warbler in the nearby bushes. Not a bad start.

Both of us are relatively new birders so it was like a child being let loose in a sweetie shop. Made lots of mistakes and probably missed much but loved seeing the vultures, black and black eared wheatears, orioles, dartford warblers, rock bunting and sparrows etc etc. Many more highlights

The drive down to Montejaque and Benoajoan was just stunning with the mountains and rock formations

Would love to go back. You're a very lucky man staying there

Thanks for the posting Mark. Yes I know how lucky I am, in fact everyday! I did see your Honey Buzzard post, a very good photograph. Why not post here and maybe accompany it with a Trip Report?

As you know, the area is superb not just for birding, but also for the scenery. The flora is pretty amazing too. My wife is currently working on a book of the flora and she is up to around 2000 species, which I think is an incredible total, whilst I now have over 80 species of Butterfly!!

It was good to hear you enjoyed staying at Eli’s and Pablo’s small Hotel. They are a really friendly and genuine couple and take a special interest in all who stay there. Its better the recommendations come from folk like you, might sound a bit bias if I said it first!

If ever you return please get in touch. I am always happy to give you a few must-not-miss sites. Pity you didn’t make contact last time as I never insist people come out with me in order to show the best places.

Can I look forward to a trip report?

Thanks for the posting Mark. Yes I know how lucky I am, in fact everyday! I did see your Honey Buzzard post, a very good photograph. Why not post here and maybe accompany it with a Trip Report?

As you know, the area is superb not just for birding, but also for the scenery. The flora is pretty amazing too. My wife is currently working on a book of the flora and she is up to around 2000 species, which I think is an incredible total, whilst I now have over 80 species of Butterfly!!

It was good to hear you enjoyed staying at Eli’s and Pablo’s small Hotel. They are a really friendly and genuine couple and take a special interest in all who stay there. Its better the recommendations come from folk like you, might sound a bit bias if I said it first!

If ever you return please get in touch. I am always happy to give you a few must-not-miss sites. Pity you didn’t make contact last time as I never insist people come out with me in order to show the best places.

Can I look forward to a trip report?

Thanks Peter for your comments. We did a short trip report http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=84990 though I guess as relatively new birders we got a few id's wrong eg honey buzzard id'd as ST eagle- though we did almost certainly see an STE hovering near Benjouan- but a great learning experience as most sightings were new. I think you were maybe away when we visited. I have promised to take my wife back to the area so maybe next spring...... the only slight disappointment was Ronda-wonderful setting but a bit of a tourist trap

Thanks Peter for your comments. We did a short trip report http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=84990 though I guess as relatively new birders we got a few id's wrong eg honey buzzard id'd as ST eagle- though we did almost certainly see an STE hovering near Benjouan- but a great learning experience as most sightings were new. I think you were maybe away when we visited. I have promised to take my wife back to the area so maybe next spring...... the only slight disappointment was Ronda-wonderful setting but a bit of a tourist trap

Mark, you can avoid the tourists at Ronda without too much difficulty. As you go over the "New Bridge" on the way out of town the road runs downhill along a narrow street to come to a roundabout at the town wall. Right takes you to the main road to Algerciras, left takes you to the coast at San Pedro. Take the right at the roundabout and after about only thirty yards turn right again at a small bar/cafe. Follow this road around the corner of the buildings and down a steep, winding cobbled road. It takes you to the area beneath the bridge so you are looking up at the distant tourists rather than jostling amongst them. The view of the bridge is better, too. Lesser Kestrel, Chough & Crag Martins overhead and I saw a black wheatear in the field adjacent in September. Wryneck nearby in spring.

You can of course reach here by walking down the path below the bridge, but driving along the route I've described is easier, and you're less likely to fall painfully on your backside as I did once when I was coming down from the bridge on a day when rain had made the grass slippery.

Attachments

• 007 New Bridge, Ronda 18 Sept 07 copy.jpg
    007 New Bridge, Ronda 18 Sept 07 copy.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 008 Cliffs at Ronda 18 Sept 07 copy.jpg
    008 Cliffs at Ronda 18 Sept 07 copy.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Thanks Alan, lovely views and thanks for the advice. I guess with only a few hours to spend you tend to get sucked into the centre-still stunning views

Thanks Alan, lovely views and thanks for the advice. I guess with only a few hours to spend you tend to get sucked into the centre-still stunning views

I never bother going to the centre of town now when I'm there. I usually visit the Sierra de las Nieves on the way up from the coast and when I get to Ronda I head straight for the valley beneath the cliffs for a brief look before heading on my way.

There's another track that leads off from this one just behind the buildings, alongside a stable, It's worth a quick look too. Larks and other stuff in the fields on either side.

I never bother going to the centre of town now when I'm there. I usually visit the Sierra de las Nieves on the way up from the coast and when I get to Ronda I head straight for the valley beneath the cliffs for a brief look before heading on my way.

There's another track that leads off from this one just behind the buildings, alongside a stable, It's worth a quick look too. Larks and other stuff in the fields on either side.

Its worth mentioning you can also get stunning views of Peregrine here (brookei). Also Alan the name of the venta where Mark should turn right is the Bodega San Francisco, and by the way great and cheap food, here he needs to keep bearing right following the road back on himself.

Next time you go into Sierra de las Nieves follow the track until it splits into two, then take the right track following a dry river bed, great track and gives you loads of prime targets like Tawny Pipit and Rock Thrush. Had a Roller close to here on the 29th June!

Its worth mentioning you can also get stunning views of Peregrine here (brookei). Also Alan the name of the venta where Mark should turn right is the Bodega San Francisco, and by the way great and cheap food, here he needs to keep bearing right following the road back on himself.

Next time you go into Sierra de las Nieves follow the track until it splits into two, then take the right track following a dry river bed, great track and gives you loads of prime targets like Tawny Pipit and Rock Thrush. Had a Roller close to here on the 29th June!

Bodega San Francisco. That's the one. You're right about the food. We had a couple of San Miguels and a selection of tapas on a pavement table by the door when we were there a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the tip about the river bed. I know exactly where you mean, Spanish moss grows on the trees there. I've looked along it, but didn't go far. I followed the path to the left before the stream crossing in September, but the finca up there has been taken over and the path is blocked after a few hundred yards.

I normally take the left fork and head uphill to the picnic area (in season). Had Ibex and my only Spanish brambling up there at the top in February.

What a double act you two are. I fear I am just a couple of mouse clicks away from returning next May;)

I’ve only just caught up with this thread. Peter I went with your company on their autumn tour to the Serrania and the Donana, had a fantastic time and Juan proved to be a very good guide. Before I went I downloaded your systematic list to the area and found it very useful. Might I suggest you attach it here on this thread as it would be a real bonus for folk intending to visit your patch?

Reading through the posts it made my memories more vivid and enjoyable. Will keep popping back to take a look.

Another not bad day!

I managed to wake myself early (pretty unusual) in order to set-off and look at another vulture feeding station this morning (El Hondon). I also wanted to checkout another site for Alpine Accentors.

My route from Ronda took me on the road to Acinipo (Old Ronda). The slopes of these hills are wooded and consist mainly of Round Leaf and Prickly Leaf Oak, (along with a few Gall Oak) makes the woodland a diverse and mostly evergreen stand. During the summer months these woodland are a great place for Sub-alpine and Bonelli’s Warbler. Apart from the occasional Buzzard and a single Bonelli’s Eagle, the approach to the feeding station was pretty quiet. Eventually this road levels out onto a higher plateau and here I found a flock of Stone Curlew (28) feeding on the freshly ploughed and tilled fields to my right. A good start. I parked the car and walked into the woodland which surrounds the feeding area on 3 sides and sat beneath an Oak waiting for the first birds to drift in. At around 0900 I could see a few gangs of Griffons circling above and these continued to drift around without really getting any closer, but what made my day was an unusual adult and juvenile Black Vulture joined the gang! It was frustrating they didn’t show any interest in coming onto a couple of fresh horses laid in the feeding compound, but at around 1000 I left a happy chap!

Onward I joined the main Campillos road and took a right for Serrato. Going through the village the road takes you on to El Burgo and reaching the high road is the stunning formation of limestone peaks and bluffs. Within scope range here you can look at 2 Bonelli’s Eagle territories. Within 5 minutes I managed to locate Alpine Accentors making their musical calls just beneath the limestone outcrops. Thankful they were calling, amid such a broken landscape they can be really difficult to spot unless they are flying around. Whether it is through increased observer coverage or a more recent change, these fine Accentors appear to be fairly widespread. Siskins joined 100’s of Goldfinch on the dead and drying thistle heads. It must be like dying and coming to a thistle heaven for Goldfinch, there are 27 species of thistles here!

The morning left me with enough time to quickly look again at the Canete feeding ground and there were only around 50 Griffons present. Still, mustn’t be greedy!

Juan Luis had managed a photo of the wing tagged Griffon and I attach it here for everyone’s interest. Wonder why some ringing studies don’t use this method of marking as opposed to neck collars?

Attachments

• 3N5 07[1].02.07.jpg
    3N5 07[1].02.07.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 86
Bodega San Francisco. That's the one. You're right about the food. We had a couple of San Miguels and a selection of tapas on a pavement table by the door when we were there a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the tip about the river bed. I know exactly where you mean, Spanish moss grows on the trees there. I've looked along it, but didn't go far. I followed the path to the left before the stream crossing in September, but the finca up there has been taken over and the path is blocked after a few hundred yards.

I normally take the left fork and head uphill to the picnic area (in season). Had Ibex and my only Spanish brambling up there at the top in February.

Hi Alan,

The track leads on to an open area and this produces some real summertime goodies. Here you can get all 3 breeding Wheatear species, Blue Rock Thrush and Rock Thrush, Spectacled, Orphean and Dartford Warbler, Black Redstart and Tawny Pipit. Added to which I normally score Golden Eagle here along with Bonelli, S-t and Booted. So a great site.

The high picnic area I know well as I do a lot of ringing just up the track from the car park. Here there is an enclosed (wire mesh) drinking trough and I get amazing numbers of birds here, especially when water is in short supply elsewhere. It is also a good area during spring migration for raptors and also for winter visitors such as Alpine Accentor, Brambling, Siskin and Fieldfare (rare this far south). A friend Juan Luis sent the attached photo of Brambling which he saw last week at this site.

Attachments

• pinzon-real-nieves-07.jpg
    pinzon-real-nieves-07.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 101
What a double act you two are. I fear I am just a couple of mouse clicks away from returning next May;)

Come on, you know it makes sense CLICK away! You must admit that the scenery can make it as interesting for a non-birder as the birds make it heaven for the birder. Hopefully will see something of you Mark and would assume you will stay with Elli and Pablo again?

Enjoy it Mark.

I'll not be there to share it though, I'm booked in for Catalonia again in May.

Another great place to visit. :t:

Alan, how could you possibly suggest another location on here!! Of course Catalonia has loads of rich citizens already so don’t need more income, support the poor support Andalusia! Hope Steve and the gang don’t read this (only joking)!:-O

I’ve only just caught up with this thread. Peter I went with your company on their autumn tour to the Serrania and the Donana, had a fantastic time and Juan proved to be a very good guide. Before I went I downloaded your systematic list to the area and found it very useful. Might I suggest you attach it here on this thread as it would be a real bonus for folk intending to visit your patch?

Reading through the posts it made my memories more vivid and enjoyable. Will keep popping back to take a look.

Thanks Derek for the kind remarks, I will pass your comment on to Juan. Actually I did mention the free download in previous posts! I don’t think I can attach it here as the file size is too great i.e. 1.6mb. Or can I? Anyway perhaps this link will suffice if people want birding information on the area:

http://www.spanishbirds.com/nss-folder/spanishbirdsfolder/Birdwatchers Paradise.web.pdf

On the website there are also systematic lists for Flora, mammals, reptiles / amphibians and Butterflies (due for an update as now have more than 80 species), but haven’t gotten around to making .PDF files for these. Sure they can be copied and pasted though. I am hoping to add moths at some stage, but it’s finding time!

Peter,

Can you PLEASE close down this thread with immediate effect! And you, Alan, are little better. Here I am stuck in the UK and you two go on and on about the delights of SW Andalucia. Since we've corresponded with one another you already know how enamoured I am with the area and it's simply malicious of you to remind me about the birds, the scenery, wildlife, food, the people, ... darn it you've got me doing it now!
It's a fantastic area isn't it? But do you think we really ought to be telling everybody? Let's keep it for ourselves :)!

Seriously, with regard to the original query, I find a handful of Lesser Kestrel winter around the village of Alcala de los Gazules so wouldn't be at all surprised to find them around Arcos de la Frontera which isn't too many km further north. As to why LKs might be more frequent in winter than previously I have my own pet theory. In the past there was now great advantage in wintering in SW Spain - survival rates for birds going south were better. A few birds might have done so but too few to pass on this tendency to the greater population. However, in the present circumstances (i.e. large scale use of pesticides in Africa causing poorer survival rates) this balance has changed. Those that stay and survive are at less of a disadvantage than before so proportionately more survive and breed. As a result there are enough of them to pass on this strategy (assuming it's genetically determined). They also get first choice for nesting sites etc. No idea if it's true but it kinda fits for me - another similar situation would be the rise of Blackcap wintering in the UK.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to getting back to Andalucia asap and will be contacting Peter again a few weeks before I do so so that he can then re-start this thread. In the meantime, please, not a thing about the area ... I just couldn't stand it!

John

Peter,
Can you PLEASE close down this thread with immediate effect! And you, Alan, are little better. Here I am stuck in the UK and you two go on and on about the delights of SW Andalucia. Since we've corresponded with one another you already know how enamoured I am with the area and it's simply malicious of you to remind me about the birds, the scenery, wildlife, food, the people, ... darn it you've got me doing it now!
It's a fantastic area isn't it? But do you think we really ought to be telling everybody? Let's keep it for ourselves :)! John

Sorry John, but of course more people ought to come! More money being spent via ‘green’ tourism means better chances of preserving/conserving this great area. It’s a sad fact, but I am afraid money talks better than writing or pleadings from concerned groups or individuals. Economic arguments can only be greatly helped by encouraging folk to spend time here. Still, bet you miss the place everyday? Hope to help you out here by keeping you informed as often as possible!!:-O

Seriously, with regard to the original query, I find a handful of Lesser Kestrel winter around the village of Alcala de los Gazules so wouldn't be at all surprised to find them around Arcos de la Frontera which isn't too many km further north. As to why LKs might be more frequent in winter than previously I have my own pet theory. In the past there was now great advantage in wintering in SW Spain - survival rates for birds going south were better. A few birds might have done so but too few to pass on this tendency to the greater population. However, in the present circumstances (i.e. large scale use of pesticides in Africa causing poorer survival rates) this balance has changed. Those that stay and survive are at less of a disadvantage than before so proportionately more survive and breed. As a result there are enough of them to pass on this strategy (assuming it's genetically determined). They also get first choice for nesting sites etc. No idea if it's true but it kinda fits for me - another similar situation would be the rise of Blackcap wintering in the UK. John

Interesting John and sounds highly likely. I’ve had Lessers near to Monte Corto this autumn up until the present time, I assumed they were individuals from the Setenil colony or Zahara. You wonder though if birds from further north have taken to wintering here?

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to getting back to Andalucia asap and will be contacting Peter again a few weeks before I do so so that he can then re-start this thread. In the meantime, please, not a thing about the area ... I just couldn't stand it! John

But you know I must!|:x|

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back