• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica - buy a scope (1 Viewer)

birdwife

Hello! We will be slogging through Costa Rica for our trip of a lifetime. Should we get a scope or just use our binoculars? I'm concerned about portability of a scope as we will be doing A LOT of hiking. Thanks!

Hey there

I just got back from a birding trip there with a lot of walking! I have a thread on it too - 'An Englishman in a Baseball Cap'

I didn't use a tripod or scope. It would be quite uncomfortable lugging one around in the lowland areas and they aren't much use in the forest anyway.

I'd not bother and enjoy the freedom.

I don't think i missed a single bird because i didn't take a scope

Tim

birdwife said:
Hello! We will be slogging through Costa Rica for our trip of a lifetime. Should we get a scope or just use our binoculars? I'm concerned about portability of a scope as we will be doing A LOT of hiking. Thanks!

Personally I would want to have a scope with me, but then I never go birding without one (just in case). Why not have a look at the Nikon 50ED - it's a tiny scope with excellent optics. It weighs less than many bins but would give you much higher magnification. It works well with a monopod giving a very light weight set up.

The big advantage of taking a scope is that you can look for shorebirds. However, as you are from San Diego you are unlikely to be so interested in the Costa Rican shorebirds, so you may not feel that you need one. For forest birding in Central America I almost never take one. It can also be useful for raptors, so could be worth having in your luggage if you are travelling around by car and don't have to worry about the weight. As Tim says, you are very unlikley to miss many birds because you didn't have one and the extra weight and awkwardness of carrying one in a hot climate could cost you time in the field and restrict your birding.

Tom

I totally agree with Tim and Tom, a scope is not 'an essential' in Costs Rica. I didn't take one when I went and certainly didn't miss it. Have a excellent trip, you're certainly in for a great time (try and visit Carara and nearby Tarcoles Estuary if you can).

Loads of different habitat in Costa Rica so a lot of traveling around. A scope is probably more trouble than its worth.

Costa Rica is special- enjoy!!!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back