• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

I had to do chores around the the house mainly this weekend. I did get a chance to make sure that the the new SX50 is free of flaws and it appears to be. Doing some static photos of inanimate things at max zoom, etc, the old and the new SX50 appear to perform equally.

I will probably try to do some experimentation with the center weight vs focus point exposure but the few photos I took in each setting suggest that focus point may not be the best. But I'd like to figure out if it will be better in some situations and so I will experiment further when I have the time.

Unfortunately December is Crunch-Month for work. Lots to get finished for the year.

Yes getting a second SX50 has gotten me re-interested in experimenting with settings.

By the way, it's really hard to find an appropriately sized bag for the camera in the stores. They are all too big or too small. Grrr.

By the way, it's really hard to find an appropriately sized bag for the camera in the stores. They are all too big or too small. Grrr.

I chanced upon this bag while in a camera store:

http://www.tamrac.com/products/aerozoom25/

I think it fits the SX50 perfectly. I hang the bag off my left shoulder, drop the camera in the bag with the lens facing forward and the top towards my hip. The lens cap is off so that when a hurried shot is required, I reach into the bag and am immediately holding the camera in my left hand in my normal shooting position, fingers and thumb around the barrel. I leave the bag unzippered, opbviously for quick access but the fit is snug enough that when I've inadvertently set the bag down without reclosing the bag, the camera has never come out. The small pockets on the side are perfect for an extra battery, card and cleaning cloth.
Very happy with the bag for the past 9 months.

Now, if I could only find a remote shutter...

Steve

I had to do chores around the the house mainly this weekend. I did get a chance to make sure that the the new SX50 is free of flaws and it appears to be. Doing some static photos of inanimate things at max zoom, etc, the old and the new SX50 appear to perform equally.

I will probably try to do some experimentation with the center weight vs focus point exposure but the few photos I took in each setting suggest that focus point may not be the best. But I'd like to figure out if it will be better in some situations and so I will experiment further when I have the time.

Unfortunately December is Crunch-Month for work. Lots to get finished for the year.

Yes getting a second SX50 has gotten me re-interested in experimenting with settings.

I find this bag fits the Sx50 perfectly: LOWEPRO TLZ 20 Format Toploader. It takes an SX50, with lens hood still on and a quick release plate fitted to the camera (for my Manfrotto tripod). The camera sits in the bag with the lens facing downwards, and I leave the zip undone ready to grab the camera body when needed. The bag is a snug fit for the camera, neither too big nor small, which means the camera is fairly safe from falling out whilst out birding - but I wouldn't risk sprinting without the zip done up! It has enough room for a couple of spare batts & cards.

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I lucked out with my first SX50. I walked into staples one day. They had a good bag the right size so I got it. Now it seems no one has medium size bags in the stores. I don't use a bag while out and about with the camera. Its always around my neck. I just need something to put it in while driving in the car and when at home.

Not the best shot but it just goes to show never step outside the house without the camera. I was just going outside to get the morning newspaper and as I stepped out of the basement door to the driveway this (I believe a sharp shinned hawk) swooped in chasing a smaller bird in flight. It missed the bird and landed in the tree in front of me for only a moment as I got off this shot. Then it left.

4 seconds of excitement.

This is why I have the camera set to zoom out and go to 1.5x teleconverter immediately on start-up. I might of missed this otherwise.

Attachments

• 2014 12 02 09 23 17 5.jpg
    2014 12 02 09 23 17 5.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Well I'm rather beside myself at this moment. I was out walking my sister in law's dog who is visiting. 10:30pm. All of a sudden the dog bolted across my front yard. It saw something!!

I had my LED Spot headlamp and F.... ME! An Opossum. I got the dog inside and got my camera and went back out. Between the LED spotlight and the camera flash, I am thrilled. I have never seen one before in my life and didn't even know if they were here.

And unlike the post above, I did not expect to need my camera outside at 10:30pm! With the dog visiting, I guess I will bring it!

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    602.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    509.4 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Great! But it seems you forgot to activate the "red-eye" function.

That said, my own experiences with using the flashlight on Goldcrests are mixed. And I can only agree that, as long as the sun is "on", I take the camera with me on every walk. In early November I was out shopping in the city, when I heard loud "crah-crah" from above. About 20 Eurasian cranes flying in Southern direction. I took a few photos, my first of cranes in the wilderness, if you can use the latter term for a densely populated city of 114,000.

I wasn't even aware that I had a faint chance of observing cranes. According to the literature, their traditional path of migration is more in the North. But later I read in the web that in 2013 there have been observations of cranes in Bavaria, and elsewhere in the South. There is speculation about the gradual development of a new, Southern migration path.

Well I'm rather beside myself at this moment. I was out walking my sister in law's dog who is visiting. 10:30pm. All of a sudden the dog bolted across my front yard. It saw something!!

I had my LED Spot headlamp and F.... ME! An Opossum. I got the dog inside and got my camera and went back out. Between the LED spotlight and the camera flash, I am thrilled. I have never seen one before in my life and didn't even know if they were here.

And unlike the post above, I did not expect to need my camera outside at 10:30pm! With the dog visiting, I guess I will bring it!

OMG Fantastic.

fantastic :t:

Has anyone else successfully replaced the SX50's lens cap? Accidentally dropped the camera trying to manage too many things at once, mercifully the camera and lens are undamaged okay, it was just the cap that suffered.

Bit bewildered by all the caps available on Amazon and eBay, none of which specifically state they fit the SX50.

Any help appreciated.

PS forgot to add I found this comment confirming it's not straightforward:

Re: sx50hs lens cap size question
In reply to kaya3, Jan 5, 2013
I too find the lens cap on the SX50 to be a little fiddly compared with the excellent replacement lens cap I bought from Amazon for my SX40. As you say kaya3, although the lenses on the SX40 and SX50 are nominally the same (52 mm), the SX40 replacement lens cap won't fit on the SX50. I don't want to use an adapter ring just to be able to fit a replacement lens cap, so I'm looking for one that will fit directly. J.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50601535

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back