Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding in Alicante Province

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.95 average.
Old Monday 9th September 2013, 03:05   #101
Mark Etheridge
Bird Shooter (With A Camera)

Here's the view from the refurbished hide on Saturday looking east, the Osprey is right in the middle of the photo! This is a zoom shot at 400mm.

I was there again yesterday - another Osprey was in one of the dead trees along the central tree belt which runs from the North entrance to the South gate on the Vistabella Road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDO.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	462579  

Last edited by Mark Etheridge : Monday 9th September 2013 at 03:08.
Old Tuesday 10th September 2013, 05:35   #102
Mark Etheridge

Maybe the Clot de Galvany reserve isn't such a disaster area as I thought - there is still a lot of duckweed about but wader numbers are rising on the main pool with Common Snipe, Little Ringed Plover, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Little Stint and a solitary Dunlin on the pool edges yesterday.

Also a first for me on the Charco pool yesterday, a Glossy Ibis which I haven't seen there before. It appears they have had a successful breeding season in the marsh area this year, you can sometimes see them flying over the more inaccessible areas, but to get one at such close range was an absolute treat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GI2.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	462785  
Old Tuesday 10th September 2013, 09:25   #103
lazza

I haven't visited the Clot de Galvaney as yet. Where exactly is it? I'm wondering if it's reachable by bike from La Marina, as I managed to get to Santa Pola a couple of times this trip. Looking at your photo page (nice pics, by the way ) it looks well worth an expedition (although I see much of the really interesting stuff is only there in the winter!)
2018 year list: 229 (Northern Wheatear, Cresswell Pond, Northumberland; September)
Old Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:18   #104
Mark Etheridge

If you can get to Santa Pola it's probably another half hour on your bike. Go to Santa Pola del Este, and follow the coast road to Gran Alacant, along the way the cliffs are good for Raven, Black Wheatear and Rock Thrush all year, Black-eared Wheatear in Summer and the local superstar, Rufous Bushchat in the woods nearer Gran Alacant. When you come to the T junction of the road between Gran Alacant to Los Arenales (the place with all the high-rises), the reserve entrance is right in front of you, see my Opus article for further details.

It is still good in summer, but I try to avoid the really hot months of the year - it's marginal here at the moment.....
Old Wednesday 11th September 2013, 08:23   #105
lazza

Thanks Mark! Roll on Easter! 4 out of 5 of those listed would be new for me, in Spain or elsewhere!

Definitely sounds doable by bike. I tested my limits on the last day of our summer holiday there with a grand afternoon out by bike, which took in Vistabella road, El Hondo/San Felipe, Rio Vinapolo bridge and Santa Pola... nearly killed me, but some great birds seen, and worth it for the beautiful little stint at Santa Pola salinas (and the delightful cold beer on the marina at Santa Pola!). Mad dogs and Englishmen...
2018 year list: 229 (Northern Wheatear, Cresswell Pond, Northumberland; September)
Old Wednesday 11th September 2013, 14:56   #106
Mark Etheridge

I don't know when Easter is next year, but the Rufous Bushchat doesn't turn up until late April/early May. I should also mention that the coast road is a no-go at weekends, the locals turn out in their hundreds and birding is next to impossible!

I should have also said that the coast along this road is also good for seabirds and waders - had my first Spanish Whimbrel along there a few years ago - but only when it's quiet! You might also be lucky for Wryneck in the woods, I've heard them there but not seen one yet.
Old Wednesday 11th September 2013, 15:13   #107
lazza

I had a look at the road using Google street-view and have to say I am amazed such a location and habitat is so close by to where my in-laws are and yet I had no idea. I have driven the N-332 dozens of times through Santa Pola, but never even realised there was a coastal road that skirted cliffs and ran along side a deserted rocky shoreline!! Black Wheatear and Rock Thrush will do for Easter, and we always have a summer trip too, so can try for the others then...
Old Wednesday 11th September 2013, 17:31   #108
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Mark, I think your Blue Dragon pic in post #96 is a Lesser Emperor

(from another Lazza! )
Old Wednesday 11th September 2013, 19:18   #109
Mark Etheridge

Thanks Larry, that's what I thought it was but needed confirmation!

I had a first for my local reserve the Clot de Galvany yesterday, a Kingfisher landed and then disappeared all within the space of about 5 seconds. Never seen one there in 6 years of visiting! Five shots in burst mode was all I got, but most agreeable!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kingfisher2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	463036  
Old Thursday 17th October 2013, 06:08   #110
Mark Etheridge

I'm on what will probably be my last visit of the year to Gran Alacant

Things aren't brilliant at the moment, most of the summer visitors have gone, and the winter visitors have yet to show in any numbers. I should be knee-deep in Black Redstarts around my urbanisation, but they aren't here yet.

More worryingly, I met a local birdwatcher yesterday who gave me some depressing news about El Hondo. Apparently the plan is to drain it completely over the winter, in order to get rid of the salt content of the water, and let it fill up naturally from river run-off. Knowing how unreliable the winter snows are in the high mountains to the west, this could take up to 5 years, during which the reserve will become useless for birds.

Also the owners of the reserve hope to turn it into a shooting estate

Access to the North Gate is now reduced to Saturday only due to these works. Considering that the area is classified as a ZEPA (Protected Zone for Birds) as designated by the Spanish Government), it is surprising that the owners (it is still in private hands) are being allowed to do this.

I am not sure of the veracity of these statements, but even if there is just a grain of truth in them it is a worrying development for the area.
Old Thursday 17th October 2013, 22:11   #111
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Etheridge View Post
More worryingly, I met a local birdwatcher yesterday who gave me some depressing news about El Hondo. Apparently the plan is to drain it completely over the winter, in order to get rid of the salt content of the water, and let it fill up naturally from river run-off. Knowing how unreliable the winter snows are in the high mountains to the west, this could take up to 5 years, during which the reserve will become useless for birds.

Also the owners of the reserve hope to turn it into a shooting estate

Access to the North Gate is now reduced to Saturday only due to these works. Considering that the area is classified as a ZEPA (Protected Zone for Birds) as designated by the Spanish Government), it is surprising that the owners (it is still in private hands) are being allowed to do this.

I am not sure of the veracity of these statements, but even if there is just a grain of truth in them it is a worrying development for the area.
Lets hope and pray that the rumour mill is working overtime. Can you keep us updated of any developments Mark - its a truely wonderful site
Old Friday 18th October 2013, 06:47   #112
david kelly
Drive-by Birder

Having had one cold and miserable but bird filled visit to El Hondo this Spring, it is indeed a wonderful site. It is too important to be left in the hands of the current owners and it really needs to be managed and protected by a conservation organisation.

Anyone know how to set up a petition?

David
Old Friday 18th October 2013, 06:57   #113
Mark Etheridge

I went round to the North Gate entrance yesterday. Those of you who know it will remember that there is a concrete aqueduct on the right had side. A large crane was parked in the roadway, lowering heavy pipes into the aqueduct, so certainly there is something going on.

In better news, the reserve centre area was absolutely heaving with Bluethroats. There were also several Penduline Tits about, good numbers of Marsh Harriers and Booted Eagles hunting over the reedbeds. Didn't catch sight of any of the Greater Spotted Eagles, although I was told there are at least three in the area. There are still a few Squacco Herons about, although they are mostly juveniles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bluey.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	468690  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pendy.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	468691  
Old Friday 18th October 2013, 09:13   #114
lazza

That's terrible news. It has always struck me that El Hondo is hopelessly under-resourced, under-funded and under-promoted. The visitor centre is frequently closed and there is very little literature to promote it, and as I found in the summer (see earlier post above), it is badly protected from ignorant visitors. So to hear that it may be redeveloped with no thought for the damage that could be done is hardly a surprise.

But there must be a process that needs to be gone through to get something like this approved? It would be good to know if any Governmental approval has been given... any ideas...? Is CBBC aware, and do they have links or contacts with appropriate Spanish authorities?

(Lovely bluethroat shot, BTW)
Old Friday 18th October 2013, 13:48   #115
Mark Etheridge

I have let the CBBC know and I'm awaiting a response. I will let you know what they say.
Old Saturday 19th October 2013, 08:55   #116
david kelly
Drive-by Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david kelly View Post
Having had one cold and miserable but bird filled visit to El Hondo this Spring, it is indeed a wonderful site. It is too important to be left in the hands of the current owners and it really needs to be managed and protected by a conservation organisation.

Anyone know how to set up a petition?

David
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...share_petition
Old Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:07   #117
Mark Etheridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by david kelly View Post
Thank you David!
Old Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 19:28   #118
Mark Etheridge

It seems clear from the separate thread that the threat to El Hondo is not as bad as first feared, but we must all keep our eyes on developments there!

Meanwhile, back to the birds - I think this is a Subalpine Warbler in winter plumage which I have seen before at the same time of the year in the Clot de Galvany reserve, they only seem to occur for a few months of the year. If I can't get a definite confirmation, perhaps I should put it in the ID Forum?

There has been a marked increase in the numbers of Chiffchaffs present, but the Black Redstarts still haven't arrived. Robins are here in some numbers, and this morning at sunrise there was a flock of 20+ Swallows over our communal pool in the urbanisation, but by 10 a.m. they had moved on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAW.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	469596  Click image for larger version

Name:	SAW1.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	469597  
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 07:49   #119
lazza

Just been reading that the opening times for El Hondo have decreased down to one morning a week. Hope this is not a sign that the local authority are losing interest in keeping is going....

Anyway, my annual Easter visit is fast approaching, and can't wait to get back out on my bike along Vistabella road! And to make my first trip up to el Clot!
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 07:59   #120
Mark Etheridge

Hi lazza, I will be there myself from the 5th April if you need a guide round the Clot
Old Monday 31st March 2014, 08:59   #121
lazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Etheridge View Post
Hi lazza, I will be there myself from the 5th April if you need a guide round the Clot
Now that sounds a good idea! I'm arriving on the 12th.... But it can be a little tricky to make arrangements for such frivolity as birding, as - strictly speaking - it's a family holiday with my wife and kids!! Usually I fit in cycling+birding around the family plans....

I'll send you a PM
Old Thursday 17th April 2014, 07:43   #122
Mark Etheridge

I've just completed my first visit of the year, a week to get our holiday home back into condition for the summer, so I had limited time for birding. For those who know it, the Clot de Galvany reserve is in a much better condition than it has been for the last 3 years, with good water levels and improved management leading to an increased number of bird species. New sightings to the reserve (for me) included Purple Heron, Night Heron, Avocet, Red-crested Pochard, as well as the welcome return of White-headed Duck and Marbled Teal after a few years absence.

There were enormous numbers of hirundines including Red-rumped Swallow, and the nearby reserve of El Pinet also has good numbers of Common Tern and Little Tern getting ready for breeding, along with plenty of Slender-billed Gulls.

Attached are a couple of photographic highlights including some rather unexpected visitors to my urbanisation who have taken up residence in the communal pool area - someone somewhere has an empty cage! I'll be taking a longer trip there next month with some more birding time hopefully!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Avocet.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	492230  Click image for larger version

Name:	Night Heron.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	492231  Click image for larger version

Name:	RCP.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	492232  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoodSand.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	492233  Click image for larger version

Name:	PFL1.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	492234  

Last edited by Mark Etheridge : Thursday 17th April 2014 at 07:47.
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 10:24   #123
lazza

First trip for me too, and thanks to your advice, Mark, I managed to make it out to El Clot! Not quite as fortunate with the species seen, but it was heaving with several (school?) groups of loud children. Nice to see them getting introduced to the local wildlife, but they perhaps need more guidance in appropriate volume levels!

Nevertheless, a single white-headed duck made an appearance on the first pool, and I added my only lifer of the trip, with good views of a melodious warbler picking insects off one of the trees further into the reserve. As suggested by Mark, my cycle there took me along the cliffs north of Santa Pola. No wheatears, unfortunately, but two magnificent ravens soared above the cliffs, and I had my first ever sightings in Spain of two warblers - common whitethroat and willow warbler.

Other highlights have included a short-toed eagle passing over Santa Pola salinas, three marsh harrier and a close encounter with a cuckoo along Vistabella road, and good views of a woodchat shrike and a pair of stone curlew in farmland near Dolores. The El Hondo hides along Vistabella road were also well worth a visit, with a few hundred flamingos at the westernmost hide, together with the largest number of white-headed duck I've seen (25+), and a single squacco heron. Mediterranean gull and red-rumped swallow also seem much more numerous than previous years, with sightings in several places.

Last edited by lazza : Friday 18th April 2014 at 19:30.
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 19:26   #124
lazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazza View Post
....., and I added my only lifer of the trip, with good views of a melodious warbler picking insects off one of the trees further into the reserve.
Spoke too soon.... A final outing on my bike this afternoon added a second lifer, with a nightingale belting out its song from bushes along the Rio Segura across the river from Guardamar's highrises.
Old Friday 11th July 2014, 10:54   #125
lazza

Four weeks today and I'll be touching down in Alicante again. Looking forward to my fix of interesting herons and rollers!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: