Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ed's thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old Tuesday 14th October 2008, 07:48   #451
desgreene

Very brave whacking nails into your sculpture! But it certainly does look "right" now.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th October 2008, 08:24   #452
Woody

Wonderful! Cant wait to see it in all its glory when it's finished.

Mike
Old Friday 17th October 2008, 12:08   #453
timwootton

That sorts the forehead just nicely. All lines (even ones in 3-d) are affected by others in proximity. The chin area is the next to be assessed I think. This will have an influence on how the brow looks too. Very nice - is Mr K sen/ assisting still or have you been abandoned?
Old Friday 17th October 2008, 13:22   #454
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
That sorts the forehead just nicely. All lines (even ones in 3-d) are affected by others in proximity. The chin area is the next to be assessed I think. This will have an influence on how the brow looks too. Very nice - is Mr K sen/ assisting still or have you been abandoned?
Mr K Sen left it with me, on the basis of a promise that I would make some feet for it and then paint it. Both he and the customer have long given up asking how I'm getting on with it.

Interesting that you mention the chin- it is such a hard thing to render, given that in true life the chin feathering is fluffy and doesn't really have a defined contour.

So the current plan is to give the chin quite a full convex shape (hopefully not quite like a swift carrying a food ball, but in that form) and then rely on the painting to break it up and fluffify it.

The alternative is to cop out and- even though the rest of the bird is relaxed and a bit puffed up- give it sleeked down compressed chin feathering with a concave profile. A difficult decision which will probably be made spontaneously, when I have got home and had a drink this evening.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th October 2008, 13:42   #455
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed keeble View Post
So the current plan is to give the chin quite a full convex shape (hopefully not quite like a swift carrying a food ball, but in that form) and then rely on the painting to break it up and fluffify it.

. . . had a drink this evening.
I concur with both of these suggestions.
Old Saturday 25th October 2008, 11:21   #456
ed keeble

Hello all. Just back from three days on Mull by way of half-term jaunt with my son and friend- lots of eagles in boisterous weather but highlight was the boys calling a 9- pointer red deer stag out of the forest by roaring through a tube of wrapping paper bought from the village shop.

Here's an otter, colour mostly fingered instant coffee. Hopefuly a proper painting to come of one swimming through group of GN Divers which was alone worth the loooong drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600DSC_0010 copy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	165440  

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 25th October 2008, 13:09   #457
Andrew H

Ed,
I must congratulate you on this one..... I love the idea of such a spontanious sketch, and even more so by the colouring using 'instant coffee'. I just wonder what you'd have produced if you had the full kit with you.?
Old Sunday 2nd November 2008, 19:24   #458
ed keeble

Hello all. Here's another from Mull. Didn't turn out quite as I hoped from a painterly perspective, but for someone who loves divers and otters and doesn't get to see them very often, it captures a unique moment.

Meantimes the Hobby moves along- feet now made and then at last moment I decided to crack its knuckles and give it a rolled up 'n' resting foot. Still rasping and sanding at the body without (yet) scratching the eyes so hopefully I shall get away with doing it all in the wrong order. Rather looking forward to painting it with the benefit of learning from our little sub-forum- on previous occasions I would have been into the raw mars black paint pretty much from the get-go on a Hobby. But this time around, hopefully something subtler can be done and will save up the black until the end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0015 copy 2 copy.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	166767  Click image for larger version

Name:	600hobbyDSC_0015 copy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	166770  

Old Sunday 2nd November 2008, 19:42   #459
timwootton

Brillaint Ed - both pieces, but the diver pic strikes a true-ringing chord with me. Just as you see them and a well observed range of plumages, to boot. Love this lots.
Old Monday 3rd November 2008, 07:24   #460
Woody

I reckon the diver pic is a huge success. The water has been handled in a way that's totally unafraid of using colour and it works fantastically well. A lesson for all of us in that one Ed.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Monday 3rd November 2008, 14:14   #461
buzzard12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I reckon the diver pic is a huge success. The water has been handled in a way that's totally unafraid of using colour and it works fantastically well. A lesson for all of us in that one Ed.

Mike

Agreed! Love it Ed. Superbly handled and true to life.

Will say nothing on the Hobby till finished apart from it looks like it will be a cracker!
Old Monday 3rd November 2008, 20:22   #462
ste

One of the best things about being an artist is being able to record special moments like this in your own special way. Excellent painting.
Steve
Old Tuesday 4th November 2008, 21:34   #463
ed keeble

Interesting day today- had to run the bust leg dog up to the vets in Norfolk and nipped to the coast whilst his anaesthetic was wearing off, where sketched a Yellow-browed Warbler in sallows- a true done-on-the-spot sketch. Not a masterpiece but I quite like the effects you get if you scan it in at 1200dpi and then crop it.

Then back home via Birdscapes gallery near Holt, where I was expecting the Threlfall exhibition to be highlight (5 pics already sold out of 12 so he seems pretty popular right now) but got rather side-tracked by a beautiful Bruce Pearson book. Exhibition coming up of his stuff at Laveham Wildlife Art Gallery this month too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	600ybrow2 copy.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	167054  Click image for larger version

Name:	600ybrow2 copy 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	167055  

Old Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:35   #464
timwootton

I share your enthusiasm for the 'blow-up'. I've always liked the way a multiple-enlargement photocopy (olden days!) can change and emphasise the qualities of really small and (seemingly) insignificant drawings. The crop of the warbler, for me, highlights the 'best bits' of the bird - that super super and the slighly miffed bill angle. Great work Ed.
Also - not surprised that John is selling so well - he's rather good, isn't he. But I'm intrigued about the Pearson book. I've only recently taken delivery of 'In a new light' (I know it's a couple of years old) so what's the new one?)
Old Wednesday 5th November 2008, 09:01   #465
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
I share your enthusiasm for the 'blow-up'. I've always liked the way a multiple-enlargement photocopy (olden days!) can change and emphasise the qualities of really small and (seemingly) insignificant drawings. The crop of the warbler, for me, highlights the 'best bits' of the bird - that super super and the slighly miffed bill angle. Great work Ed.
Also - not surprised that John is selling so well - he's rather good, isn't he. But I'm intrigued about the Pearson book. I've only recently taken delivery of 'In a new light' (I know it's a couple of years old) so what's the new one?)
Sorry to raise your hopes re the Pearson book, not a new one. Until my little epiphany yesterday, I hadn't realised quite what treasure was within covers of "In a new light".

Old Wednesday 5th November 2008, 10:04   #466
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed keeble View Post
Then back home via Birdscapes gallery near Holt, where I was expecting the Threlfall exhibition to be highlight (5 pics already sold out of 12 so he seems pretty popular right now) but got rather side-tracked by a beautiful Bruce Pearson book. Exhibition coming up of his stuff at Laveham Wildlife Art Gallery this month too.
Just got the two gripes about this post -
1 - that the Birdscapes Gallery doesn't have an interactive website - I noticed this before and really, for an organisation that deals in images they ought to remedy this aspect.
2 - My gripe about 'In A New Light' is simple - I just wish it had twice as many pages. Beautiful work and a very real insight into the artist's life.
Old Friday 7th November 2008, 14:08   #467
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

I don't know how you manage to do it but you make the viewing experience so real and genuine using such artistic expression, love this last little lot.
Old Sunday 9th November 2008, 08:31   #468
EliS

Those divers are... I'm lost for words, I like the painting so much.

Elina

Photos of birds:
http://www.flickr.com/elinas_digicorner/
Old Thursday 13th November 2008, 21:35   #469
ed keeble

Hello all- what a fantastic amount of activity in the forum. If there was prize for variety, I think it would be ours just now..

I've got a little self-inflicted dilemna with this one- background is a freshly dug and filled scrape with the water just lifting some poplar leaves as it floods in. The plan was to stick a yellow and bluey-grey Grey Wagtail (which was the true first bird to visit) in at point "W" top right but now I'm thinking it would be subtler to put a you-don't-see-it-at-first- Woodcock in the same place. Undecided...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0027 copy.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	168314  Click image for larger version

Name:	w600DSC_0027.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	168315  

Old Thursday 13th November 2008, 21:51   #470
timwootton

Oh Jeez - that's a BEAUTIFUL painting!! I think you could easily hide a grey wag, let alone a woodcock in that mesmeric water-and-leafscape. (Although I can just detect its presence in the second image!)
Old Friday 14th November 2008, 07:17   #471
ste

For what its worth Ed i think you should stick to the grey wagtail. It seems a more open natural setting for grey wag imo.I still think it would be a 'don't see it at first' grey wagtail with all the blues and yellow in this splendid painting. Nice work.
Steve

http://stevesbirding.blogspot.com/

Last edited by ste : Friday 14th November 2008 at 07:22.
Old Friday 14th November 2008, 07:19   #472
Woody

Wow! That's one of my favourites of yours even before the bird goes in. My preference would be the waggy; Just the right colours and shapes.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Friday 14th November 2008, 08:29   #473
ed keeble

That's unanimous then- Grey Wag it will be and thank-you gentlemen.

Old Friday 14th November 2008, 12:28   #474
mosca

I think you should keep it with just the W

Or I would also vote the wagtail.
Old Friday 14th November 2008, 15:38   #475
ARTHUR BISHOP

Thats a lovely pic. as it is

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: