• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyeglass use: EL 8x32 vs. CL Companion 8x30 (1 Viewer)

RainStar

Between the EL 8x32 and CL Companion 8x30, how do these compare for use with eyeglasses? Hopefully someone who wears glasses has compared the two.

I realize the EL has a longer eye relief, but some of that eye relief is not usable, and the CL Companion is said to work better for glasses than one might expect.

Which of the two will allow an eyeglass wearer to more easily see the entire image? Is there a significant difference between the two.

Very much appreciate your input!
Thanks.

I have both and find the EL better. Depends some on your glasses though. Small closer glasses will work better on the CL.

Thanks! Great to hear from someone who has tried both.

I want my eyeglass wearing wife to be able to use these effectively. I would describe her glasses as mid-size, with a medium strong prescription.

Rainstar,

I recently learned that an opthalmologist can easily measure, and potentially adjust, the distance between the eye and the spectacle lens. It's known as the vertex distance. I know when I tried the CL again this week, the glasses I used have a 10mm vertex distance. The lens thickness needs to be considered, but the ER was pretty comfortable for me. I know it's a bit more generous still on the EL.

David

Last edited:
Rainstar,

I recently learned that an opthalmologist can easily measure, and potentially adjust, the distance between the eye and the spectacle lens. It's known as the vertex distance. I know when I tried the CL again this week, the glasses I used have a 10mm vertex distance. The lens thickness needs to be considered, but the ER was pretty comfortable for me. I know it's a bit more generous still on the EL.

David

That's encouraging that the CL's worked for you with glasses. I appreciate your insights. Quite a thread on those- I finally worked my way through all 17 pages! :t: They seem highly regarded, and would be nice for travel & hiking. Did you decide to get them?

Rainstar,

I was using the CL for comparison when I checked out the new Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 this week. The Nikon had a fraction more ER, but neither would be enough for some users. It's something you really need to check for yourself.

David

Between the EL 8x32 and CL Companion 8x30, how do these compare for use with eyeglasses? Hopefully someone who wears glasses has compared the two.

I realize the EL has a longer eye relief, but some of that eye relief is not usable, and the CL Companion is said to work better for glasses than one might expect.

Which of the two will allow an eyeglass wearer to more easily see the entire image? Is there a significant difference between the two.

Very much appreciate your input!
Thanks.

I wear glasses and have tried both side by side. Both work fine for me! The EL is certainly not worth 2x the price. It would be hard to tell them apart in terms if image quality if you just casually glance through both.

That said, the EL has slightly easier eye placement, and the diopter adjustment on the CL is not great. This isn’t an issue if you use glasses - you would just leave the diopter at 0.

I would look at the conquest 8x32 vs the swaroski 8x30 if I were you, as the price point is more similar and both work fine with glasses

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back