Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket

Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 04:06   #76
fazalmajid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeace View Post
With cheaper pocket bins they can seem dark with limited eye relief, but the Zeiss victory pocket 8x25 I have seems bright enough even at dusk comparing to a 42 and this is because sharpness and contrast are so good. Eye placement seems easy and of course compactness (with a different case to that supplied by Zeiss) is great, so I think you don't need a 42 if you have this.
Eye placement is the key to what makes the 8x25 Victory Pocket so special, at least for those of us wearing glasses. Most compacts are extremely finicky, this one is as easy to use as a 8x42. That doesn't mean you will get quite the same sharpness as a 8x42 (because of diffraction) and obviously it will be significantly dimmer.
Old Friday 20th July 2018, 23:08   #77
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
I don't think a Victory 8X25 can replace a premium 8X42 to my eyes. How is the build quality of the glass?
Opinions seem to vary on this. People have said the armor feels cheap, the focus knob is dinky... I thought it was well made, apart from unfortunate defects in my two samples (possibly rushing production for Xmas?). The focusing felt just right, good eyecups and hinge tension etc.
Old Sunday 22nd July 2018, 22:37   #78
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Thanks Tenex good to know.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 07:20   #79
Troubador

Hi Andy
I am on North Uist in the Scottish Western Isles and my 8x25 Victory has come with me. It did great duty on the last 200 miles of our drive north-west, hanging around my neck as we drove and it weighed 'nothing'. Since then it has been doing 'window duty' overlooking a fjord and has seen an otter and youngster, harbour seals and Red-throated Divers. Personally there is nothing about it I would call cheap-feeling and although the eyecups only have two positions they move with a feeling of precision that the eyecups on my SFs don't have. Yes the focus wheel is small but thats pocket binos for you. Since these binos could end up being carried in shirt pockets you don't want bulky armour or focus/dioptre wheels that could snag on clothing or add unnecessary weight.

The diopter is a fiddle to adjust but it is doable and once set it has been reliable. When 'armchair' testing these back home I tried them without spectacles and found the eyecups sank too close into my eye sockets due to their small diameter. Another consequence of their pocket-size I thought. But I grabbed them to check out something swimming in the fjord a few days back and because I didn't have my spectacles on at the time I pulled the eyecups up and to my surprise I put them up to my eyes and braced them instinctively under my eyebrows and got a great view of a Harbour Seal without any difficulty or blackouts. I tried this a few more times and found it easy to do so folks who don't wear spectacles shouldn't dismiss these little beauties.

Its hard to find anything to criticise these binos for apart from those things that spring from it being a pocket, folding bino. Optically they are really nice performers and even Alexis has enthused about their optics.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Monday 23rd July 2018 at 08:42.
Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 08:22   #80
arran

I have been using my Zeiss victory 8x25 now for 1 week quite intensively and no negative aspect was found!
The focus is very smooth , the FOV is superb, no quality issues whatsoever
Even at dusk , the bin performs very well.
Eyeplacement is just superb , and my wife, who wears spectacles is very positive
I also have the impression that this small bin covers very well my astigmatism as well
Highly impressed!
Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 14:21   #81
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Lee,

Thanks for the info Lee, I am sure they are a fine glass, I only have one small Nikon LXL 8X20, they can fit a squirrel, I bought them out of curiosity and price. A relative of mine is looking at obtaining a good quality small glass and I told her to check the Victory and the Swaro, I told her don't waste your time looking at the smaller 8X20s, that these would be more user friendly. I have viewed through the Swaro 8X25, nice, but I just prefer a larger glass in hand. I told her many have opinions on them and that she should try for herself, they are available to her since she lives in the area of the bubble in Washington DC.

My small travel glass is the FL 8X32 and for me the best small glass for travel hands down.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 18:54   #82
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Lee,

Thanks for the info Lee, I am sure they are a fine glass, I only have one small Nikon LXL 8X20, they can fit a squirrel, I bought them out of curiosity and price. A relative of mine is looking at obtaining a good quality small glass and I told her to check the Victory and the Swaro, I told her don't waste your time looking at the smaller 8X20s, that these would be more user friendly. I have viewed through the Swaro 8X25, nice, but I just prefer a larger glass in hand. I told her many have opinions on them and that she should try for herself, they are available to her since she lives in the area of the bubble in Washington DC.

My small travel glass is the FL 8X32 and for me the best small glass for travel hands down.

Andy W.
You are welcome Andy. For sure the 8x25, as good as it is, would never replace 32s or 42s for me but it is really fine at what it does. As for your FL 8x32s: no argument there and long may you enjoy them.

Lee
Old Tuesday 24th July 2018, 05:57   #83
wdc

I picked up a pair a few months ago, due to the positive reviews about them on the forum. I'm wearing glasses, and the fit is fine. Moreover the portability of them does make a difference. I just finished teaching a painting workshop up in the Sierra Buttes area of California for a week. I outfitted my pair with a small Nikon strap, and an Opticron rain guard, as recommended by several folks on this site, then carried them in my shirt pocket. in this way they stayed protected, weighed next to nothing in my pocket, and were available for viewing throughout the week as we painted in various locations, just in case a bird showed up. I did not use them as much as I hoped, but it didn't matter, because they were no burden at all, and were conveniently on hand. I will be hiking into the Ansel Adams wilderness in a few weeks with art supplies, and the victory pockets will be coming with me. The mules will bring in some larger bins to use, once I'm in camp, but these are the ones for the trail.

Yes, they are much darker in low light than the 32's and 42's I've got, but in bright daylight they are fine. I compared them with a pair of Pentax 8x25's I've had for many years, and FOV and brightness are a noticeable step up with the Zeiss.

-Bill
Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 19:51   #84
ailevin

Bill,

Which Opticron rain guard?

Thanks,
Alan
Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 23:30   #85
wdc

This one:
https://www.amazon.com/Opticron-3102...ars+rain+guard

Even better, it came with no manufacturer's name on it. In the photo below it is attached to the cord with a zip tie.

-Bill

p.s. The photo thumbnail is upside down, but appears right side up when you click on it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2254.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	669365  
Old Monday 6th August 2018, 20:11   #86
ailevin

Bill,

I received the Opticron rain guard, and it's a clever design that works well. Now if we could only get some rain here. The marshes are very dry. OTH shorebird migration is picking up.

Thanks Again,

Alan
Old Thursday 9th August 2018, 08:58   #87
Dubois1966

I've been looking for a pocket sized pair of binoculars for a few months, and decided, after looking at the SW CL Pocket 8x25, the Leica Trinovid 8x20, Ultravid 8x20 and Zeiss Terra 8x25, to plump for the Victory Pocket.

I ordered a pair, thinking they would be delivered in a week or so, but it's now nearly 3 weeks waiting,

Can anyone tell me what a typical delivery time from Zeiss to their dealer would be? I'm getting impatient!
Old Thursday 9th August 2018, 15:44   #88
wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailevin View Post
Bill,

I received the Opticron rain guard, and it's a clever design that works well. Now if we could only get some rain here. The marshes are very dry. OTH shorebird migration is picking up.

Thanks Again,

Alan
Glad you got it. If there is no rain to keep off, perhaps it will protect the eyepieces from ash... ;-)

-B.
Old Thursday 9th August 2018, 22:08   #89
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubois1966 View Post
I've been looking for a pocket sized pair of binoculars for a few months, and decided, after looking at the SW CL Pocket 8x25, the Leica Trinovid 8x20, Ultravid 8x20 and Zeiss Terra 8x25, to plump for the Victory Pocket.

I ordered a pair, thinking they would be delivered in a week or so, but it's now nearly 3 weeks waiting,

Can anyone tell me what a typical delivery time from Zeiss to their dealer would be? I'm getting impatient!
I've been looking at both the Zeiss Victory Pocket and TFL (8x32) on B&H for a couple weeks, and they have been saying "more on the way" for quite a while. Amazon only has them through focuscamera in stock and who knows if that's a USA model. Adorama is special order on both x32 and backorderd on both Victory pocket.

Don't know if this means anything.... Are they too popular, is Zeiss stuck on production or import, or is there a product line changeup coming (just to spread random rumors)?

Marc
Old Thursday 9th August 2018, 23:32   #90
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
I've been looking at both the Zeiss Victory Pocket and TFL (8x32) on B&H for a couple weeks, and they have been saying "more on the way" for quite a while. Amazon only has them through focuscamera in stock and who knows if that's a USA model. Adorama is special order on both x32 and backorderd on both Victory pocket.

Don't know if this means anything.... Are they too popular, is Zeiss stuck on production or import, or is there a product line changeup coming (just to spread random rumors)?

Marc
Zeiss is the most frustrating binocular company in the USA to deal with. (It is probably the same way in Europe.) Especially if you are a potential buyer.

They have a toll free phone number in the USA you can call for support and (hopefully) information. See the link below. Perhaps they have a number which you can call in Britain too? Good Luck!

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...tact-form.html

Bob

PS: The Victory Compacts are also back ordered at EuroOptik and are not even listed on Camera Land's web site.

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 9th August 2018 at 23:57. Reason: Post Script added.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th August 2018, 05:25   #91
paddy7

In defence of Zeiss in the UK (and not regarding a retail issue) i've had two minor issues dealt with swiftly (and free of charge) and communication could be measured in days. This was through dealing with their UK centre just outside Cambridge.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 10:33   #92
Dubois1966

For some strange reason I never thought of contacting Zeiss directly. I just called the UK number on their website, and was put through to Sales (in Germany, I guess). It seems that the Victory Pockets are not available at the moment, but should be shipped at the end of the month.
Old Saturday 11th August 2018, 06:53   #93
PeterPS

Bob,

I have dealt with Zeiss CS in both the US and Germany and I received excellent service from both. I think the secret is to have direct contact info for a CS representative (email or phone number); I'd expect that indeed if you just call a toll-free number the situation could be different. In particular imo Zeiss CS in Germany is almost as good as Swaro's.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Zeiss is the most frustrating binocular company in the USA to deal with. (It is probably the same way in Europe.) Especially if you are a potential buyer.

They have a toll free phone number in the USA you can call for support and (hopefully) information. See the link below. Perhaps they have a number which you can call in Britain too? Good Luck!

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...tact-form.html

Bob

PS: The Victory Compacts are also back ordered at EuroOptik and are not even listed on Camera Land's web site.
Old Saturday 11th August 2018, 07:07   #94
PeterPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post

Marc
I do not know about the Victory Pocket, but I am pretty sure that the Victory FL 32mm are produced almost on demand. The FL 32mm are excellent binos (I have both the FL 8x32 and 10x32 and find them as good as my SV and EDG 32mm) but they are an old model and it seems that there isn't a lot of demand for them any longer. So I am afraid the fact that they are on backorder does not mean anything, despite the fact that rumors might suggest that they will be replaced by SF 32mm (the Bird Fair is just a few days away, so we'll know soon).

Last edited by PeterPS : Saturday 11th August 2018 at 15:20.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: