• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to create my North American list (1 Viewer)

Wildflower

I went trough all lists I have but I am not certain what to do with some birds. There is a large number of birds that we saw in Central America, and some in Galapagos and Africa. They are on the North American list as well. Do I put them on my list or do I have to see them in the US or Canada in order to include them?

Wildflower,
Lists are generally just personal things but there are a few "norms". For North American birds the ABA checklist is one guide. They do NOT include Mexico even though it is IN North America. Then you have a slightly wider ranging list if you use the AOU checklist, they include all North America and Central America (their list can be downloaded from their website). Then for a "World List" there are two principal ones, the Sibley-Monroe and the Clement's lists.

When you add a bird, yes, it is important to note the location. For example a Crested Caracara that you saw in Mexico would count on your AOU list, would count on your world list and would count on your Life list. It would not count on your ABA list.

There are a number of previous threads on lists that will add lots more minor (and maybe some major) details.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back