• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paintings by Raymond Klassen (1 Viewer)

raymondkphoto

RaymondK
Since I'm new here I thought I'd post some of my work. I paint acrylic on canvas and sometimes masonite. This is a painting of a Merlin in winter I completed a month ago.

Attachments

• Merlin in Winter.jpg
    Merlin in Winter.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 192
Welcome Raymond! This is a very interesting painting. What strikes me most is the complex space you've created by the branches in the foreground, especially the one that comes more or less straight out at the viewer. Makes quite a surprising painting!

Welcome to Birdforum Raymond - this is a very lovely painting, technically very challenging. Excellent job! Look forward to seeing more examples of your art here.

Welcome Raymond, very nice piece of a tremendous little bird. love that full winter sky behind too really sets the feel of the piece

Love that merlin Raymond...great little falcons....wonderfully captured...!

ps...your picture is almost exactly how i remember seeing one of these birds a couple of winters ago in an area of the UK called the Washes....

Morning Swim: Trumpeter Swans

This is my most recent work, a Trumpeter Swan pair which I painted for charity. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks, good or, (gulp), bad.

Attachments

• trumpeter.jpg
    trumpeter.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Very nice Raymond. There is a real sense of calm and tranquility. So it seems more than just a painting of swans. I think that the background probably is a large part of this. Do you spend a fair amount of time considering the background of your subjects?

Excellent work Raymond - wonderfully atmospheric and just a tad reminiscent of another terrific Canadian artist Really like this one a huge amount!
ps - who's Charity? - she's a very lucky girl! ;)

Thanks. Yes, I spend time working with the background. I do very few portraits. Not that I'm against them, I'm just more into the 'birdscape' compositions.

I sort of suspected you might. They really work well and do a whole lot to make the entire painting successful! I'm sort of like you with portraits. They're ok but I really much prefer 'birdscapes'.

No comments on Charity.;)

Yellow Warbler and Willows

This is a painting from early this year. I kept it very simple to focus on the backlit subject. Acrylic on masonite- 10"x20"

Attachments

• warbler1.jpg
    warbler1.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 128
lovely selection of paintings raymond,the atmosphere in each one comes across really well and the swans painting is such a tranquil calming image

The trumpeters are so very atmospheric, real, wet watery reflections, mist rising gently and two perfectly serene swans, what more could you ask, a yellow warbler perhaps? And along comes the little guy flying straight in tho catch on the beautifully placed branches. 'Tis top work Raymond!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back