• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New porros (1 Viewer)

Doug Greenberg said:
I have owned Swift Audubons and now use Nikon Superior E 10 x 42's. The Swifts are clear and sharp but are not sharp edge-to-edge the way the Nikons are. The Nikon SE's are as good as porros get and I highly recommend them.
I agree, wholeheartedly. And I like 10 power too. But the 8's are equally good!

scampo said:
That's interesting and yet the Nikon 8x36 Sporters my wife uses have an unusually long eye relief (I can easily see the whole FOV with my glasses on) - and I never get any 'blackout'.
I don't know anything about the Sporters. What is the eye relief? What is their field of view? What do the eyecups look like? Could be any number of reasons they seem to work so well.

Art Thorn said:
I don't know anything about the Sporters. What is the eye relief? What is their field of view? What do the eyecups look like? Could be any number of reasons they seem to work so well.

Given that the Nikon 8x36 Sporter are available on offer at ~£100 from Warehouse Express, I wonder if they would suit parrot fan? Nikon do often produce good value kit. Looks like a job for Captain Nikon! (Hello Steve ...)

Captain Nikon to the rescue...

The Sporters are a bargain. Their eyecups could be tighter, but they are fine in use. The image is not as bright as 40-50mm objective lenses and has a very slightly yellow cast - b ut it is still a very bright and sharp image indeed. At the current prices, nothing much compares - and, of course, you are getting a world-class name in optics (except in Sweden!!!)...

Attachments

• superman.jpg
    superman.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Grousemore said:
I'm afraid Steve may be on his way to the airport;an all expenses paid trip to Japan,courtesy of Nikon. ;)

Oh, yeah.

Sorry.

The Nikon hospitality Dept. is fully occupied.

He's going to have to wait until Leif and I get back!

Clive

william j clive said:
Oh, yeah. Sorry. The Nikon hospitality Dept. is fully occupied. He's going to have to wait until Leif and I get back! Clive

Too right. Oooh, more sushi. Don't mind if I do ...

Now of all the things I've eaten around the world, that I cannot enjoy. Raw fish - lI'll eave it to the puffins.

scampo said:
Now of all the things I've eaten around the world, that I cannot enjoy. Raw fish - lI'll eave it to the puffins.

I dislike raw squid and eel, but tuna and salmon is wondrous! You must like smoked salmon, which is raw is it not?

I can tell you have Norwegian roots. Okay - rolled on brown bread only...

The best fish I ever ate was in Scandinavia - but not Norway - a Dover sole in Stockholm. I can still remember it!

scampo said:
I can tell you have Norwegian roots. Okay - rolled on brown bread only...

The best fish I ever ate was in Scandinavia - but not Norway - a Dover sole in Stockholm. I can still remember it!

I have no Norwegian roots, or at least no more than most Yorkshire folk, since my parents come from there. I am sure that I have genes from several viking raiders as do most northerners. I also have some Irish blood - Country Mayo - though I don't yearn for potatoes ... Oops I'd better disappear before I insult too many nationalities with my crass sterotypes ...

swift porros

Fred777 said:
I am in same spot. Looking for a 8-9x bino. On the Swifts, do you have the 24 oz. model or the older, heavier one? How do they compare with B&L or Pentax porrors?

Thanks,

Fred
Boise, Idaho
USA
[
FONT=Courier New]porrops

HI Fred, I have been using these bins for a year now and find them
great. The weight has not been an issue with them(24oz model)
I can not compare them with others, having no experience,But I still
consider this money well spent ! And would recomend them to anyone.
Good luck.
Parrot.fan

Many thanks for the welcome; I compared the Summit 8X26 with a Nikon 7X21 Sprint ("made in Japan") and the Summit scored on every point - field of view, contrast and brightness.

pduxon said:
Hi Hugh

welcome to the forum. I've never seen the Summit but one member reckons they are good value for money.

Hugh Clayton said:
Many thanks for the welcome; I compared the Summit 8X26 with a Nikon 7X21 Sprint ("made in Japan") and the Summit scored on every point - field of view, contrast and brightness.

BTW The Summit 8x26 might still be available from Mifsuds in Brixham, Devon, for ~£35. I think it's not at all bad for the price. However, it is no substitute for a full-sized 8x40 instrument i.e. small exit pupil, less bright, less sharp, but much more compact and lighter.

Leif said:
BTW The Summit 8x26 might still be available from Mifsuds in Brixham, Devon, for ~£35. I think it's not at all bad for the price. However, it is no substitute for a full-sized 8x40 instrument i.e. small exit pupil, less bright, less sharp, but much more compact and lighter.

sounds like a good bin to keep in the glove pocket of a car for just in case....

pduxon said:
sounds like a good bin to keep in the glove pocket of a car for just in case....

Exactly. And if a thief steals them, you haven't lost much. I bought my mother some Zeiss 8x20 Classic for £215. They are small and easily pocketed. They were stolen from her sitting room a year later, probably by a nurse from the local care-home.

If you mean the original Swift Audubon's, a neighbour uses them. I've borrowed them occasionally - they are very good regarding image, but bulky and heavy by modern standards.

That's one that I have, the 8.5x44 porro Swift Audubons. And just like Steve said, the image is perfect. Carrying around something that big and bulky is the main question. If you won't mind, then they are great. Their not having good eye relief for those wearing eyeglasses is something that doesn't bother me too much, but that's just me. Anyone else who wears eyeglasses would have to decide that for themselves.
marcus

Last edited:
Swift Audobons

parrot.fan said:
Hi all, As a newcomer to birdwatching i am looking for a pair of
binoculars. my first selections were either Bushnell or Opticron
8x40. but now I am leaning towards Swift Audobons 8.5x42
porros.
Any advice would be appreciated. cheers.

Hi parrot.fan,
Is it the new Audobons you have bought? Ed or non Ed? How do you find them. I am considering a buying the non ED's

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back