• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would you buy a Swarovski SLC 7x42 Neu? (1 Viewer)

I have one that was made in 2006. D7623xxxxx. I purchased mine from Eagle Optics in December 2012 as a Demo. They told me that it was the last one they had left in stock. It looks exactly like yours pictured in your 1st Post above and its box looks exactly like the one in your Post #4.

It is a large, solidly built binocular that is very easy to use. It also has a very well designed green canvas case with elastic sides and openings in the bottom corners of it to save weight I guess.

Bob

PS: I am correcting herein and removing my comment in Post 5 above that I had heard that the 7x42s were discontinued in 2006. This was not correct. I have found out from Chuck in Post #17 above that he has one made in 2008.

Last edited:
Enjoy, its an amazing bin and won't let you down. The "Neu" styling was the most attractive incarnation, and the handling in relation to weight is sublime. Mine are looking pretty hammered after 8 years of hard use over 5 continents, but I've enjoyed nearing 2000 species through them!
I believe my pair date to 2004 and they have both swaro-bright and swaro-dure coatings.
I'm occasionally tempted to sell them, but the differences between these and the latest and greatest is negligible.

Does anybody know when the Swarobright coatings were first put on the SLC's prisms?

Bob

It was started in 2002, depending on what model.

So it was early, the SLC with Swarobright is very good, and the Neu
models have some of the later coatings, similar to the EL.

Jerry

Got my 7x42 love it already, why they dropped the 1/4-20 on the newer versions seems to be a mystery

Attachments

• DSC02844.JPG
    DSC02844.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
I see the same binos (same serial number) you recently bought now for sale on eBay. Were you not happy with them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-SLC-7x42-Neu-Binoculars/113030803276?hash=item1a51292f4c:g:8aEAAOSwhIZbEZxn

It's absolutely perfect pair of binoculars, I simple want a 15x56
I buy and sell like the rest, have had some 40 pairs over my life time and won't change my enjoyment in trying the next pair
So do you feel like you screwed the neighbors cat or Sherlock Holmes placing my classified ad in this thread Mr 1 post?

It's absolutely perfect pair of binoculars, I simple want a 15x56
I buy and sell like the rest, have had some 40 pairs over my life time and won't change my enjoyment in trying the next pair
So do you feel like you screwed the neighbors cat or Sherlock Holmes placing my classified ad in this thread Mr 1 post?

I'm gonna go with Sherlock, because clearly I've deduced your motive for starting this thread.

I may have only one post, but I also have only one motive for being on this forum which is to learn and further appreciate optics and birding.

Good luck with your sale.

Planetmaker,

If it is the SLC 15X56 it is a great glass for night viewing. I just got a mono-pod from Oberwerk and the Swarovski adapter to aid my tired arms for a four hour session of astro last night.

Andy W.

Planetmaker,

If it is the SLC 15X56 it is a great glass for night viewing. I just got a mono-pod from Oberwerk and the Swarovski adapter to aid my tired arms for a four hour session of astro last night.

Andy W.

Thanks for your mini review of the 15x56
Got one with Swor tripod adapter and Kuiu bino harness for under 2K :t:

Attachments

• Sw 15x56.jpg
    Sw 15x56.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 78
Thanks to PlanetMaker, I revisited my interest in Swarovski's 7X42 SLC. Last week I purchased a used model that was refurbished by Swarovski.

I received the bin yesterday only to find it was better than I remembered. On the Swarovski box I noticed a number written in pencil. When I searched this is what I found.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/977926848/Swarovski-Binoculars-On-Sale-SLC-7x42-B-HABICHT.htm
a rather well-used bin, IMHO.

I paid the seller $999.99 and here's the listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648
Notice the improvements!!

Once again, Swarovski demonstrates why they are, without a doubt, the premier optics company of our time. The bin I've used for several hours is not only as good as new, it's better. Every lens looks perfect and the prism was upgraded to the Swarobright version employed after this bin was manufactured. New armor, focus wheel, strap connectors, eyecups, etc. are all new in perfect working order. Swarovski assigned a new serial number.

The view is amazing. I spent a few hours going back and forth with my Ultravid only to confirm what I've always known. The SLC has a killer sweet spot; the Ultravid not so much and I prefer the former. My SV's beat them all for edge sharpness but the bottom line with the 7X42 SLC is that its sweet spot, for my eyes, completely eliminates the distractions I've ALWAYS seen in the Ultravid. With the 7X42 SLC I relax more, focus a lot less, enjoy greater DOF and have a far more enjoyable experience. It also exhibits less CA than the Ultravid BR. Again, these observations are unscientific and personal but, as always, my opinions are all that matters when it comes to my viewing pleasure. The Ultravid is about to become the best loaner bin my non-birding friends will ever enjoy.

I'm hoping for clear skies so I can stare at the stars...Jupiter looked pretty good last night!

PS
I forgot to mention the generous eye relief. There's so much I need the eyecups extended and, when mounted, I can sit back and enjoy a wide, stable, carefree view with total ease!

Pileatus,

This is exciting reading for me as I expect shortly to be the proud owner of a very late model top conditions 7x42 SLC Neu from a fellow Birdforum member. Like you I have an L 7 as well - UVHD+, but I'm not sure I want to do a comparison.... just enjoy each on different occasions perhaps.

Do you still have your 7s and feel the same way about each?

Best wishes,

Tom

Pileatus,

This is exciting reading for me as I expect shortly to be the proud owner of a very late model top conditions 7x42 SLC Neu from a fellow Birdforum member. Like you I have an L 7 as well - UVHD+, but I'm not sure I want to do a comparison.... just enjoy each on different occasions perhaps.

Do you still have your 7s and feel the same way about each?

Best wishes,

Tom
I have them both and my views are pretty much the same. Enjoy your 7X42 SLC. It's wonderful for casual stargazing!

I have them both and my views are pretty much the same. Enjoy your 7X42 SLC. It's wonderful for casual stargazing!

Thanks so much. I'm not one for collecting BUT as sevens are a dying breed I have found myself adding a different one once in a while and I like them all.(they are all 42mm). And though it's the oldest of the lot and doesn't have a great minimum focus, the 1990s Dialyt BG/ATP is still a favourite among favourites.

The reviews of the 7x42 SLC though, digging back through the archives as you can see from your own old posts, seem to be entirely positive. I don't mind a bit of weight if forewarned either. Dwatsonbirder's story really convinced me - still using his after about 15 years birding all over the world and 2,000 species with this glass.

I'll let you know how I find them in due course - probably in about a week's time.

All the best,

Tom

Last edited:
Good luck with them Tom, I hope they live up to expectations - if it weren't for the weight I'd still have mine!

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck with them Tom, I hope they live up to expectations - if it weren't for the weight I'd still have mine!

Let us know how you get on.

I will; thanks for the thoughts and as I'll have more time on my hands (not all that much more) they will get some proper use in the woods, not just gazing from the open window! It will be interesting to see how I find the handling compared with the double bridge designs but they are all diffferent from each other anyway so we'll just have to see. I think I will love them - glass half full not empty helps with binoculars!

Tom

I've got a colleague who has I think an '08 production model 7x42 SLC NEU and they are a really impressive set of binoculars. Although weighty around the neck, they felt great (to me) in the hand, have excellent stray light suppression, great overall views. They do not appear quite as bright or as color neutral as my 8.5x42 SV, and don't have quite 'flat-field' performance (although distortions do appear low to my eyes, maybe due to the 7x magnification), but they are great binoculars and given the dearth of 7x options, I'd see no issue with picking up a used pair at a good price.

Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back