• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Help, please. (1 Viewer)

Marysan

Shore birds are hard for me to identify. I'm thinking these two picured are Sanderlings. What do the experts think? Thanks in advance and here is the photo from Marysan. Photo was taken 09-14-03 at the Silver Strand, Coronado Ca, USA, CP 5700.

Attachments

• 0778sanderlings.jpg
    0778sanderlings.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 388
Hi Marysan,

To me the birds look like they might be Western Sandpipers Calidris mauri. The one with bright coloration suggests a juvenile and the other an adult. The adult Western and Semipalmated can look a lot alike, but the bill length and slight droop at the end is a characteristic of the Western Sandpiper.

Good Birding,

Larry

Last edited:
I agree with Larry. Semi'P' have quite distinctive "anchor marks" on the scapulars aswell.
Nice photo - judging from the background someone has been taking their armchair birding a little too literally......;)

Last edited:
Thanks, Larry, for the quick response and the ID. All these Sandpipers look alike to me. I'm amazed that anyone can tell them apart. I love to take their pictures but then I can't ID them. Thanks again.

Very observant, CJW, that's why you're such a good IDer. Thanks to you too, CJW, for the confirmation. Now I can post this photo to the Gallery. And now that I've found this Forum, I'll be back for more help in the future. You guys are good!

Hi all,
I was also going to suggest Western Sandpiper,but when I got back I had been beaten to it!The only thing that I'd have had to check first was what race of Dunlin they get in California(pres.hudsonicus?),just to be safe(even though my first impression was Western):my experience of Western is very limited,having only seen one found here 4 years ago.
Harry H

Both birds are actually juveniles, the one at the rear is normally coloured but has begun to moult into first-winter (most of the head feathers have been replaced and at least one row of scapulars is missing). The bird at the front has not begun to moult and is an unusually dark and bright individual (few Westerns have such richly coloured fringes on the coverts and tertials).

An interesting comparison of two very different individuals of like age and species.

Spud

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back