• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of Lowes Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Loch of the Lowes webcam

Hey Ann

Just checked the website and she laid her first egg on Friday the 13th last year and the last one on the 19th April.

Ann
The other Godmother

My webcam will not work - I get the screen, then Connecting, then the screen reduces in size and the Ready comes up, but nothing more. I have all the usual media software, but remember having a similar problem in previous years.

Had a wonderful day at Bassenthwaite, yesterday, but hope to visit Loch of the Lowes when we are on our way back from the Isle of Mull to Northumberland in early May. I think LoL is a wonderful Visitor Centre and the viewing is superb!

Last edited:
Oh Ann I missed it LOL. He did the exact same thing last year and was even more clumsy when he brought fish in to the feed the young. He nearly flipped a chick out the nest at one point by whacking it with a fish. It was a proper DOH moment. I think we should call them Homer and Marge.. So now we have Bart and Lisa just Maggie to go. They are such a good pair of birds aren't they? L of L is the RomCom of the aosprey world and Loch Garten is the thriller LOL.

Ann and Mary

Either my daughter or wife recently accidently downloaded the latest version of Realplayer which seems to come with an automatic video recorder. When I log on to the webcam a small box pops up and asks me if I want to record video. Might be worth trying if the 'godmothers' want a family record :)

Unfortunately the format is not suitable to upload to let you see as I had the clip of her settling down 2 hours after the first egg was laid. The point where the camera zoomed in on the egg.

Hi Ann,

Your names sound good to me, Homer and Marge they will be.

Hi Parfina,

Thanks for the information, what a long time for us to wait and see that egg hatch. Glad you think he has big feet too, I am sure they are the largest of all the Ospreys I watch.

Mad-BMS.

Thanks, I will try and video some action when I see any, I remember once trying to save a picture last year and couldn't on my old PC (with Real Player) and couldn't I thought it was because it was video format, if that makes sense.

First time I got "moving pictures and a whooshing sound" on my digital camera I thought I was imagining things, it had a life of its own. I am hopeless at understanding manuals and instructions books, especially for cameras, all the different symbols drive me nuts. I now keep it on one (candle) and it seems to work perfectly well and I get still shots.

Ann :egghead:
The Osprey Godmother

Hi Ann and all the other Osprey fans. This is the latest instalment from the warden.

15 April 2008
Yesterday there was a bit of drama as a little domestic erupted in the nest. In the early evening the male flew into the nest with a fish, where the female was sitting, peeping (or “nagging”?) away as she usually does for fish or more moss. Obviously the male had had enough and pecked her twice on the back of the head… Quite hard and quite deliberate! This seemed to take the female unawares who backed down for a while. We don’t believe this to be common behaviour at all and in fact it has never been recorded at Lowes. This quickly blew over and the male brought the fish back for possibly the third time and so the female had her supper before the male took over incubation for around 45 minutes.

Hopefully soon we will have a 3rd egg. It would be great to have a clutch of this size as the lower the number the higher the chance of survival… plus 3 is, as they say, a magic number…

13 April 2008: Second egg laid
The female laid her second egg this evening at two minutes to midnight. The family is getting bigger now!

Hi Ann,

It is great to hear Marge has now laid a second egg, I did wonder last night but as it was late wondered if it was a trick of the light from the camera and it was her head. Of course she wouldn't stand to let me have a proper look.

Birds never seem to sleep long just close their eyes for a second and open them again, sad I know but I often sit watching her at night which we couldn't do before infra red cameras were used.

The Osprey Godmother

The third egg (Maggie) was laid last night at around 10pm. What a good girl our Marge is. Fingers crossed for the next few weeks for healthy young.

Incubation

The third egg (Maggie) was laid last night at around 10pm. What a good girl our Marge is. Fingers crossed for the next few weeks for healthy young.

Now that the third and perhaps final egg has been laid - clever girl! - what is the earliest probable date for hatching?
We are leaving Mull on 11th May, and had thought of going across to Dunkeld, but I am pretty sure that it would be too early to see any hatching...............is it five weeks for incubation?

Now that the third and perhaps final egg has been laid - clever girl! - what is the earliest probable date for hatching?
We are leaving Mull on 11th May, and had thought of going across to Dunkeld, but I am pretty sure that it would be too early to see any hatching...............is it five weeks for incubation?

I reckon it will be around the 17th when the first egg will hatch. Looks like you'll miss it sorry.

Hatching time

I reckon it will be around the 17th when the first egg will hatch. Looks like you'll miss it sorry.

Thank you for your swift response, Ann. No problem, we'll simply go later in the season, as we usually do. Loch of the Lowes is a splendid centre for seeing the osprey family.
We usually stay close by at a farm B&B, and, because the Visitor Centre leaves the footpath access to the lake available, we can pop in early morning or late evening. On one occasion we had lovely views of the Dad teaching the youngsters to fish!:t:

Last edited:
Hi Girls,

Homer is stood holding a fish on the nest and pecking poor Marge who is peeping and trying to get a piece. I am glad they have 3 eggs at the moment I can clearly see 2. I wish Marge would bite him back, poor girl she begging so hard. timidly. Sorry don't know how else to put that.

The Osprey Godmother

Hi there all,

Loch of the Lowes is a 40 min drive from me - but 'we' don't always visit what is on our own doorstep. However on March 22nd I did visit this reserve. I didn't see the Osprey from the hide - but another bird was 'buzzing' about near the nest.

I thought I'd post photos I took from the hide for all those watching the webcam.

I do now plan to return and try and capture my own osprey photos. Oh yes... and better shots of the woodpecker! But as much as the osprey I would like to get photos and video footage of the red squirrel from here :-D

Shirl :-D

Attachments

• IMG_4110crop2.jpg
    IMG_4110crop2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4107crop2.jpg
    IMG_4107crop2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 110
Hi Tom,

Sorry, I thought it was just us girls that are soppy about the birds and I don't see many males, birds or human. I will try to remember to say "and boys" next time and now Homer and Marge have 2 Godfathers.

Ann :egghead::flowers:
The Osprey Godmother

Hi Tom,

Thank your wife, obsessed is a far better word to use, sorry I forget the Ospreys have so many male fans and the number on here is definitely growing, there used to be just Ben and Tiger.

Everybody knows I am obsessed I have all the web cams on my tool bar so I can check them when I get up, come home from work etc. and now will sit here all weekend typing with one window open all the time on EJ, sorry Loch Garten was the first web cam of any kind I looked at when I got the internet and Henry and EJ were both in residence then and I was hooked.

The Osprey Godmother

Is there anybody apart from the few posters on this thread that watch this osprey family? This female is amazing and has laid her 52nd egg and is surely approaching her twenties if not already there. Go on - take a peek at the web cam. You know you want to. The web cam has sound too LOL.

This is the latest from the warden

22 April 2008
Not much has happened since the last entry: the third egg being big news in itself! The ospreys have settled down to routine with no more mating, which means that this will probably be the full clutch. A good thing because three chicks is a manageable number for the parents and the chance of survival should be good!

The pair has been taking turns (the female certainly taking the majority of the time) in lovingly incubating the eggs and so far everything has been going great; however, it seems that the female hasn’t eaten since yesterday evening when she was relieved of her duty and headed off for a spot of fishing. She must be hungry by now! So where is the male and why isn’t he bringing any fish?

Hi Ann,

It is 8.15 pm and I have just looked at Marge who is obviously shouting for food. Is Homer in competition with Orange for being the worst fisherman around?

The Osprey Godmother

Hi Both Anns

Looks like she was left hungry tonight. She was calling almost constantly from 7ish when I came on until the infra red came on about 9ish. When she gave up and settled down. Think he was a poor performer at the beggining last year but came up with the goods as time progresssed. Lets wait and see.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back