• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One more ID request (1 Viewer)

You can post as many ID questions as you like Alan. I really enjoy them.
This one is a dead-ringer for an, admittedly smallish, Brindled Ochre Dasypolia templi - thing is, they fly in Autmn! I don't mind admitting I'm stumped.
I'll have to get back to you later when I have a book to hand.
Unless the rest of the "moth mob" sort it before then.

Last edited:
Thanks for you response. As many ID request as I want aye? LOL - don't tempt me.

Just looked up the Brindled Ochre. Apparently the female adult overwinters to lay eggs in early spring and can survive as late as May with the new generation flying in Autumn. Females are also said to be darker as well so this all fits nicely with my moth being a femal Brindled Ochre.

Alan

I agree with Chris,
It's a Brindled Ochre. These are often easy to find during hibernation. They frequently pass the winter in some funny areas, but a tip I found in a book by an old Northumbrian collector, was to beat the overhangs of grass on sand dunes where there had been a partial collapse of sand. The moths lodge themselves in the roots. A similar situation can be found on golf courses in 'bunkers' where there is also an overhang of grass.

I have only ever caught one specimen in a trap, but have found several by beating around Dune Systems and Golf Courses.

Harry Eales.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back