• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mahonia and blue tits (1 Viewer)

Johnny1 said:
Stephen, If you want to attract fieldfares and redwings try putting a few apples out for them.
I'll second that. At my previous abode, I had both birds feeding on apples during the winter.

Thank you Johnny1 & Helen

I will give this a go as I really would like them to visit.

On the far side of the garden I planted a Crab Apple"John downie" last spring so if this takes off in the future then I stand an even better chance.

It's funny really as I have thrown apples out before on the lawn but the Blackbirds ignore them completely and the Starlings wait untill they are quite brown before eating them. Is this true in your gardens or is this another regional variation thing?

Thanks again for suggetion always glad of a few suggestions

Hi Stephen, the blackbirds always took the apples as soon as I put them out. Starlings did, too. In fact, I always used to think of apples as one of the easiest of foods to give the birds, no mess and eaten straight away.

Maybe it's a Rochdale thing - I'll have to ask my sister-in-law - she lives there too ;)

Regards

Here's a couple of pics. If I'm not mistaken, they were taken in Dec and Jan of last year. As you can just about notice, the apples were new.

Attachments

• Fieldfare.jpg
    Fieldfare.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 231
  • RedWingIDPC290815.jpg
    RedWingIDPC290815.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 196
helenol said:
Here's a couple of pics. If I'm not mistaken, they were taken in Dec and Jan of last year. As you can just about notice, the apples were new.
Cracking photos Helen I have to say I am very envious. I always look forward to the winter Thrushes along with the Waxwing..........don't tell me you get these as well!LOL

May be strange question but is there a favourite apple?

Golden del have been out on the lawn all day today with no takers.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back