• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broadband - Does It Work? (1 Viewer)

Yes, but sheep can be such a comfort in some rural parts of Devon.

You can tell that by going through the court list!

A bit off topic but?

I see here the firewall issue I am working as pc technician over here in Belgium,I can tell you from my experience that nowadays much more often there are attacks via surfing the net and can really advise to take a firewall (I am using the Norton-Symantec)
Very pleased with it!
Further are we using (@work) the nice freeware program Ad-Aware from www.Lavasoft.usa.com.
I have no commercial interest with the above mentioned company's.

I just want to be informative.

Thanks Paul

Put it under my favourites and will try it out later,also @ work.
Just recently there's a new Ad-aware out namely version 6,but didn't test that one out yet.

Booga,
I can sympathise with you about not being able to get broadband even though you live in a high tech part of the world. It is the same for me. I live a few miles from GCHQ, the governments spy base for listening in to all of the worlds communications and not only can I not get broadband, Channel 5 is really fuzzy and we had to wait years to get Channel 4.

Colin

I live just over 1.5 mile from the centre of Ashford in Kent (one of the first towns to get Broadband) and I am "too far" from the exchange. Ridiculous I think.

Robin

Apparently what they need in order to make my area 'Broadband ready' is the interest of 200 local residents. Bearing in mind this is Technology village with most residents working on the nearby Business park you'd think they'd sort something out eh!

Good old BT. They tell me it's because I'm more than 5 miles from the exchange, actually I'm 3 miles from it.

We could petition guys, but I think some waxed string and a couple of tin-cans would have more effect for us!

I agree with all those frustrated would be broadbanders. It's pathetic that in this day and age you can't have this service just because BT has cherry picked the best areas to wire up.

Protest! Complain! Write to BT, your MP and the HoC Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee demanding an inquiry!

Robin & Booga

The technology behind broadband (ADSL) does have limitations, and these are dictated by the length of copper cable between you and the local exchange, so you may only be 3 miles from the exchange, but the cable route may be far longer. If you are in this situation and you don’t have the option of cable, I'm afraid you will have to wait until the technology improves.

As for the need to have 200 people (it was 400 until recently) registering an interest before BT will enable your local exchange, you need to get your neighbours to actively register an interest in the service as the quicker that level of interest is reached the quicker your exchange will be enabled. The following URL may be of help here. http://www.bt.com/broadband_information/index.html

I should declare here that I earn my crust working as a BT System Engineer.

Cheers, Paul

Peter, I feel duty bound to come to to BT's defence here. It certainly would be great to get the entire country wired up, but to serve all small rural communities can only be done at a masive financial loss, which no commercial company (BT, NTL or Telewest) is going to do. If we want this then the only way that this is going to happen is by central gov (tax payer) intervention.

Speaking personally I would rather see my taxes go to much higer priorities such as providing basic medical provisons and clean drinking water to the rather large number of people in the world who lack such basic human needs.

Paul

Thanks for the URL, which I'm sure people will find useful.

There is clearly no question of taxes paying for this, and it is a complete red herring to make a comparison between broadband and the third world.

I make two points: some 'rural' communities are in fact right on the edge of towns and cities, and are classified by the Government as urban areas, and secondly BT does have a share of the blame in all this. They had a monopoly for years and years, and then spent quite a long time after privatisation making - what was it - a million pounds a minute?

The long term strategy to 'wire' Britain, which I agree involves DTI and various other Whitehall departments, has gone sadly wrong.

I am not just blaming BT, but they didn't get their act together any more than the Government did.

Ok peter fair point, the whole thing is a bit of a mess and we are never going to get a universal broadband service out of private enterprise, at least not with the current available technology.

I would be interested in the situation in other parts of the world from our non-Uk members.

Paul - the thrust of what you are saying is undoubtedly true. Broadband won't be universally available until the technology improves.

I'm coming late to this discussion but just to say that I'm on ntl 128kb broadband. It's fast but not always reliable. I get outages for an hour or two every so often, which usually stops me getting emails but doesn't entirely stop the internet connection. There is an excellent vbulletin-style website about Ntl called nthellworld. Anyone thinking of going onto NTL should definitely take a look at
http://www.nthellworld.com/
There is also a comprehensive, but to me rather incomprehensible, broadband troubleshooting site at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html
Hope this helps.
Ken

Ken,

Thanks. You may have noticed I asked about this on the uploading photos thread. I am thinking of getting the 600K BB - BT is not a option as I am too far from the exchange, but the house is cabled for NTL. Looking at your links looks like phone and TV are a not a good idea.

Kevin,
When I set up my websites last summer, I decided I needed more security and got what you have described except it is the 2002 edition with on line updates and I have been really pleased with it. It has alerted me to attacks which would have messed me up, well worth the money.

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back