• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bausch & Lomb 'Goldfinger' binocular (1 Viewer)

Binastro

. The original binocular by Bausch & Lomb from the James Bond 007 movie Goldfinger, 1964, with certificate of authenticity are up for auction 21st of March 2015.

From the photograph I suppose they could be something like 15×60.

You mean...a monocular?
I see two objectives in the first seconds of the video. A pair.
Binoculars are plural for a singular set, like pants. One pair pants, one pair binoculars.

Bi equals two oculars.
So a pair of binoculars is 4 oculars.

However, a pair of binoculars is common parlance, which I accept many people use.

I prefer to speak of a binocular.

. No, Breker, Koeln.
However, the binocular may go for a silly sum. I've found that some of these auction sites are very variable, especially when it comes to items they don't know about.

Regarding the previous posts.

Bicycles.
Biplanes.
Bikinis.
if you use the above, are you using one or more?

And of course we have to get 'fork handles'.
As the Two Ronnies might say.

Thanks for the reference, Binastro. Here's the auction site page for the binocular.

http://auction-team.de/new_highlights/2015_03/ph/021.html

A little research on the Peter Abrahams site turns up a MK 37 9x63 from WWII. It was cobbled together by the Naval Gun Factory by attaching larger objectives to the front of a Bausch & Lomb MK 13 7x50 body.

But oh, the condition...oi.
Makes me feels old looking at it. It's molted.

Either Bencw should get it, or the billionaire or sheik
who buys it should send it to Bencw for new skins.
Then our innards+collimation wizard.
But no Lithium grease, puleez! I'll mail you some nice Bel-Ray grease.

Bi equals two oculars.
So a pair of binoculars is 4 oculars.

However, a pair of binoculars is common parlance, which I accept many people use.

I prefer to speak of a binocular.

Hello Binastro,

Just so. I carry a pair of binoculars: a 6x35 and a 10x32.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

. The original binocular by Bausch & Lomb from the James Bond 007 movie Goldfinger, 1964, with certificate of authenticity are up for auction 21st of March 2015.

From the photograph I suppose they could be something like 15×60.

Hello all, I happen to be the owner of these binocular. They are 7x50 magnification and were originally fitted with a tripod which can be seen in the video but this was unfortunately lost many years ago however, the support is still present. I did try to find out if this was an original accessory but to no avail, does anyone on this forum know or have one?

. Hi Enigma,
. Welcome to the forum.
. I suppose you do not have the binocular at the moment as it may be at the auctioneers.
If you do have it, perhaps you could measure the full diameter of the front glass as it seems to me that the binocular is larger than 7×50.
Does it say 7×50 anywhere on the binocular?
With best wishes.

Ah...I suppose the actual parameters were not important,
as long as the size was there. Long for a 7x50....would be quite sharp.

So, the tripod:
----low black legs, much like a microphone mount
----a short black raiser with a thick collar for a thumscrew, probably
----then a small ball mount, much as for a camera..
in fact, I'd favor camera tripods in the search. I'll have a shufti at ebay.

srch pattern: table tripod camera

You can see an echo of the mid-section and ball mount here, but the legs are not the same:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Table-Top-B...171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566f605af3

Not the same, but very close on the leg style:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oben-TT-50-...558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3f3d96ce

Another very-close one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-Studi...790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3a782c1e

You can get very close, with straight legs.
Getting that exact design with curved legs may be problematic.
There's a surplus camera shop nearby...I'll ask. I got a super
Weston lightmeter and some tripods there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back