• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x and 8x bins for birding (1 Viewer)

I have had the 7x35 Actions, and looked through the 7x35 Aculons,
and the Aculons are a definite improvement. Given the age of the AE
design, that does put the AEs in an awkward position..

I had this same dilemma about a year ago.

I really LOVE the THOUGHT of 7x bins, and I may still buy a pair in the future.

I wanted to like the 7x Ultravid HD more than the 8x Ultravid HD, but when comparing them both side-by-side, I couldn't see any practical difference in field of view at the distances I bird at (watching feeders, maybe trees out to 50 yards?).

The images were both great on an overcast day (the 7x might have been SLIGHTLY better in really low light I'm told).

At the end of the day I decided for the 8x.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=276836

I found that 7x suit my eyes/use and recently bought a well discounted new 7x42HD. The view is very good (of course) and is very well suited to closer viewing where the DOF is the major attraction for me, rather than the FOV.

Last edited:
For long periods of observation I believe the 7x is superior.
The military of most countries to include the USA use 7x bino's of one sort or another.
I have used the 7x50 (when younger and could support the weight) and 7x42's for critical observation when my life literally depended on it.
Many US units in Vietnam used the Bushnell 7x35 and Nikon 7x50 Trop, the NVA had the aus Jena 7x40's and Soviet 6x24's.
A lot of folks make the mistake of believing the bigger image of an 10x is better, forgetting that handshake which sets in fairly quickly for most, will make them less than desirable over time spent observing.
IMHO, for handheld observation over long periods of time, the 7x format is superior.
Art

I can easily tell the difference(S) between 7x and 8x. People must vary on this.

The US Army standard is now 7x28 in the field.
The needed something small but bright, and anything over 7x is a blur when your shaking from gunfire.
Back in the Korean War, 6x30 was issued by the millions, and to sailors in WW-2.
Right...and 7x50 is 99% of sales for boaters.

I think the appeal of 8x is that it 'puts you on target' quicker, when you know
exactly where you're looking. 10x even moreso....people are looking at a perched critter
for fine details, or at predicatable soaring.

I think of 7x as good for 'exploring': brighter per size, deeper field, less shake, wider fields,
scanning with less dizzy.

8x is great when you know pretty much what you're looking at...

I prefer 7x but I'm spying on the critters across a wide azimuth...
420 ft fov is about best .... you can make it almost all sharp and can see a lot.

Last edited:
Hi all, I am currently trying out the new Ultravids from Leica (HD Plus). I am comparing the 7 and 8x42 models and trying to decide which to buy. Both are spectacularly good and certainly up there with the current field-leaders like swaros and zeiss. Here is my dilemma, tho: in 50 years of birding I have used mainly 10s and 8s (I actually prefer 8s now and find it difficult to use 10s - aging eyes?). I am really attracted by the totally spectacular view of the UVP 7s. All you folks who use 7s - do you ever wish that you had a little more power or do the other advantages outweigh this? Have any of you tried 7s but then moved up to 8s to get greater power. Help me out here!

H
Best 7x I have ever used was a friends Zeiss 7x42 B Dialyt. Been around awhile but still one of the best birding binoculars around. Huge FOV @8.6 degrees and big old AB prisms that bring in a lot of light. A really easy walk in view with very little CA because of the long FL. Zeiss used to make some pretty good binoculars. I think they need some management changes now with all the problems they are having with the SF. The Dialyt is a classic and will continue to appreciate.

Last edited:
Best 7x I have ever used was a friends Zeiss 7x42 B Dialyt..

I owned a pair for 15 years; brilliant for birding but poor close focusing for insects.

(I think) I have given up the search for the bin that is perfect for all occasions.

I find my Nikon EDG (2) 7x42 brilliant for "pure" birding with a bright, sharp image across the whole wide field of view and great depth of focus. I prefer the 7x42 to 8x42 for following birds in flight and woodland. I always carry a scope when birding. The close focusing is only 2.1 metres which I do not find close enough for insects.

I use my Zeiss Conquest 8x32 on bright, summer days (when we have them) for a combination of bird and insect watching. They focus down to about 1.4 metres which is much better than the Nikons for looking at insects.

I owned a pair for 15 years; brilliant for birding but poor close focusing for insects.

(I think) I have given up the search for the bin that is perfect for all occasions.

I find my Nikon EDG (2) 7x42 brilliant for "pure" birding with a bright, sharp image across the whole wide field of view and great depth of focus. I prefer the 7x42 to 8x42 for following birds in flight and woodland. I always carry a scope when birding. The close focusing is only 2.1 metres which I do not find close enough for insects.

I use my Zeiss Conquest 8x32 on bright, summer days (when we have them) for a combination of bird and insect watching. They focus down to about 1.4 metres which is much better than the Nikons for looking at insects.
Yes, the Dialyt is strictly for birding and nature observing. I don't do much bug watching. Your combinations sound good with the 7x for woodland areas. The Zeiss Conquest is the best birding binocular under $1K that I have tried and is very close to the $2K Swarovsion's and Zeiss alpha's. It is hard to have one binocular for everything and it doesn't hurt to have a few like you do for different purposes. The 42mm is better in those shaded woodland areas and the bigger EA helps to follow birds in flight with easier eye positioning. That is a good combination of 7x and 8x for different purposes. 7x for exploring and the 8x when you want to get up close up. The Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 is good for that purpose with it's super wide FOV @450 feet. I have 6x to 10x binoculars now for different purposes.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back