• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding sites Nottingham? (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I was going to post this in the Nottinghamshire forum but it doesn't look to be well used.

I'll be in Nottingham on Sunday before getting an evening flight back to Glasgow. Are there any good sites within easy reach of the city centre that I could easily visit?

Thanks.

I had a quick browse and Attenborough Nature Reserve looks like a good possibility. It seems that I could get a bus from here (or nearby at Long Eaton) to the airport so it might be really handy.

One thing caught my eye - possibility of all three UK woodpeckers. What's the real chance of seeing the lesser spotted here? It also talks about wintering bitterns, so no chance of any there now?

I had a quick browse and Attenborough Nature Reserve looks like a good possibility. It seems that I could get a bus from here (or nearby at Long Eaton) to the airport so it might be really handy.

One thing caught my eye - possibility of all three UK woodpeckers. What's the real chance of seeing the lesser spotted here? It also talks about wintering bitterns, so no chance of any there now?

Attenborough is well worth a visit and its just been announced that Bittern has bred for the first time on the reserve... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-33052628

I don't know about Lesser Spot but I have seen them at Wollaton Hall in Nottingham round by the lake there.... but in winter and I've not been for a long time so I hope a notts regular can help but Lesser Spot is getting harder and harder to see round here.

That's great news about the bitterns breeding there. Hopefully I can catch a glimpse as it will be a lifer for me. Same with the lesser spotted woodpecker, but I'm not holding out too much hope for one of them, but if I do it'll be another lifer.

Just to let you know that I spotted the bittern, in fact two of them: adult female and a chick. These were spotted from the raised hide near the visitor centre.

Also spotted Reed and Cetti's warblers which were also lifers. Grey partridge spotted on the road to the airport, but I'll need to check my notes when I get home to see if this was a lifer too.

No luck with lesser spotted woodpecker or hobby unfortunately.

Just to let you know that I spotted the bittern, in fact two of them: adult female and a chick. These were spotted from the raised hide near the visitor centre.

Also spotted Reed and Cetti's warblers which were also lifers. Grey partridge spotted on the road to the airport, but I'll need to check my notes when I get home to see if this was a lifer too.

No luck with lesser spotted woodpecker or hobby unfortunately.

Wow excellent... I meant to say about the Chettis... theres usually one in the bushes at the car park near the visitor centre (well there has been the last 2 times I've been earlier in the year).

Glad you got some new stuff:t::t:

ATB

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back