• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do I tighten this kind of hinge? (1 Viewer)

EmilM

Hi!
Does anyone know how to tighten this kind of hinge? It’s a little bit loose for my liking. I’m especially worried about the marked part. What does it do? What kind of tools do I need?

Attachments

• 69A96227-C95A-46F2-997D-E81E2392F240.jpg
    69A96227-C95A-46F2-997D-E81E2392F240.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 281
I think that the Lightwing is a fairly new model.
Is the binocular still under warranty?
From Optical Vision Ltd?

The binocular repair experts here will probably answer later.
Unfortunately not my expertise.

B.

I think that is simply a stop marked in red. I see 2 pin holes that are there, and that means
a pin wrench can tighten the hinge. There is usually a small set screw in a hole to loosen, then do the
tightening job.

Good luck with it, I have done this job before. I agree a loose hinge is a bad thing.

Jerry

Last edited:
I think that the Lightwing is a fairly new model.
Is the binocular still under warranty?
From Optical Vision Ltd?

The binocular repair experts here will probably answer later.
Unfortunately not my expertise.

B.

This model was released in 2016 I think.
It’s still under warranty. The thing is that I already got the binoculars replaced once. The first ones was so loose that you couldn’t touch them without the hinge moving. I contacted the retailer and they checked some of the binoculars they had in stock and they were all a little bit on the loose side they said but they sent me new ones wich was much better than the first ones. But I would prefer them a little bit tighter.

I think that is simply a stop marked in red. I see 2 pin holes that are there, and that means
a pin wrench can tighten the hinge. There is usually a small set screw in a hole to loosen, then do the
tightening job.

Good luck with it, I have done this job before. I agree a loose hinge is a bad thing.

Jerry

Ok, thanks Jerry. We will see if I get the courage to try this. Other than this it’s a great pair of binoculars for the price.

I've seen similar but a small set screw in that gap circled to lock the nut into position so it doesn't undo as the hinge is cranked, or a screw in one of the two holes to lock it to the fixing under the nut. You could try tighten them with a pin wrench/lens spanner or circlip plier and see if once tightened there is a hole under that notch. If so then they've not fitted it at factory perhaps (poor QC maybe).

Once you tighten to suit you, crank the hinge open/closed a few times and see if it works loose again. If there's no hole for a set screw perhaps try removing the nut, clean the threads and apply a drop of threadlock (loctite blue) and then refit and set to the desired stiffness and leave to set for a couple hours, it should then stay put...

Ok, thanks Jerry. We will see if I get the courage to try this. Other than this it’s a great pair of binoculars for the price.

When my oldest son kept biting through the thickest stainless steel wire possible for his retainer (6 or 7 with learning disabilities), I came up with:

"Billy Cook could screw up a cannonball with a Q-Tip."

If you foul ANYTHING up by just tightening the tension on that screw, you should demand your money back. :cat:

Bill

It looks to me like there are two small set screws, one on each side of the red circle. I'd check that and back them off before I twisted anything else.

Lightwing hinge

Please wait before you try to tighten the hinge from the tripod thread end.
I'll see if I can take one apart this week because I think the hinge is tightened from under the focus wheel.
Your photo does indeed show two pin holes in a circle but the rectangular cut out is located over a fixed piece of the body to stop this lower piece from moving.

It looks to me like there are two small set screws, one on each side of the red circle. I'd check that and back them off before I twisted anything else.

Unless they are using some sort on non-traditional method, those holes a pin holes for tensioning the axle. The set screw I just dropped in at the upper right is the way most of the older binos held the tensioner screw in place. The lower set screw I popped in fits the end of the focus mechanism and must be removed in order to remove the focus wheel. :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 5.23.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 5.23.22 PM.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 79
Unless they are using some sort on non-traditional method, those holes a pin holes for tensioning the axle. The set screw I just dropped in at the upper right is the way most of the older binos held the tensioner screw in place. The lower set screw I popped in fits the end of the focus mechanism and must be removed in order to remove the focus wheel. :cat:

Bill
I initially looked at that photo with a computer with poorer resolution, looking at it with a better screen I see what you mean. Originally it looked like screw slots. Now with your post and this computer, i see there are no screws there, pinholes they evidently are.

do not turn the bottom ring

Hi!
Does anyone know how to tighten this kind of hinge? It’s a little bit loose for my liking. I’m especially worried about the marked part. What does it do? What kind of tools do I need?

Emil, what ever you do, do not use a tool to turn the ring shown in your photograph. The holes are used during manufacturing to locate the shaft onto the stop peg and once engaged, it is not meant to turn.
The hinge is tightened by the brass lock ring under the focus wheel.
I have attached a photo showing a dismantled Lightwing with the pieces in order of removal. (sorry it's a bit blurry)
Not something I recommend an amateur attempting especially as you have to remove the top disc in the focus wheel without damaging it.

Attachments

• lightwing hinge 001.jpg
    lightwing hinge 001.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 238
Emil, what ever you do, do not use a tool to turn the ring shown in your photograph. The holes are used during manufacturing to locate the shaft onto the stop peg and once engaged, it is not meant to turn.
The hinge is tightened by the brass lock ring under the focus wheel.
I have attached a photo showing a dismantled Lightwing with the pieces in order of removal. (sorry it's a bit blurry)
Not something I recommend an amateur attempting especially as you have to remove the top disc in the focus wheel without damaging it.

Ok, I see. I could probably do this job by myself but I guess it will void the warranty if I do so. I will probably leave it as it is for now. If it gets worse with time I may consider doing it.
Is this a construction used by other brands or is it a Helios thing?

/Emil

This model was released in 2016 I think.
It’s still under warranty. The thing is that I already got the binoculars replaced once. The first ones was so loose that you couldn’t touch them without the hinge moving. I contacted the retailer and they checked some of the binoculars they had in stock and they were all a little bit on the loose side they said but they sent me new ones wich was much better than the first ones. But I would prefer them a little bit tighter.
I don't know how much time has transpired or the terms of the sale, but I'd be very tempted to ask for a refund and find a different pair of binoculars.

I don't know how much time has transpired or the terms of the sale, but I'd be very tempted to ask for a refund and find a different pair of binoculars.

The new pair I got is definitely better than the first ones. I can live with this ones but to make them feel 100% I’d prefer them tighter. If it was a more simple fix I wouldn’t hesitate but as it is now I’ll leave them as they are. Other than this issue I really like them. Great optics for the money.

/Emil

Emil:

Well, you have gotten some advice, some good, some bad, maybe me. It seems a do it yourself fix
is not easy.

What is clear is that it is too bad about the loose hinge. For me a thing like this is a deal breaker, and
I will not deal with a loose hinge.

It just ruins the viewing experience from the start, the rest is optional. :C

So, if you had a replacement the same, I would return it and move on. That would finish it for me.
It seems some cheap China made bins are not reparable, just throw away, that is too bad.

We all pay for this cheap china junk, at the end of the day.

Good luck.

Jerry

not just Helios

Ok, I see. I could probably do this job by myself but I guess it will void the warranty if I do so. I will probably leave it as it is for now. If it gets worse with time I may consider doing it.
Is this a construction used by other brands or is it a Helios thing?

/Emil

You are correct by saying Helios is a brand and quite often the same models are sold under a variety of brands. I have sold a number of different Helios models and have never experienced one with a loose hinge.
The method of construction used in the Lightwing models is not exclusive to them, it is fairly common, but a loose hinge is often the result of a bump or a fall.
I agree that it is very annoying when you have to use both hands to stop the binocular folding up and yes, it is likely that the warrantee would be invalidated if you tried to tighten the hinge.

Problem fixed

As the loose hinge got worse I decided to give it a try to fix it. I followed the instructions that richard866945 gave me. I made a tool from a 8mm combination wrench and tightened the brass lock ring. Now it feels excactly as it should from the beginning. The most difficult part of the job was to remove the top disc on the focus wheel as it’s stuck with double-sided tape. The rest was rather easy.
Thank you richard866945!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back