• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

??? Hummers/ Coastal Florida (1 Viewer)

Beach Bum

Some friends of ours live right on the beach on the east coast of Florida. They've listened to me talk about our Hummers and would like to put up a feeder on their Condo balcony. They're on about the fourth floor, overlooking the beach. Are they likely to get Hummers in that location?

Incidentally, my moniker has to do with my love of walking the beach at their place. :t:

Bob

Hey, why not give it a try! Do they have any potted flowering plants or vines on their balcony? That might help attract them up to their feeder.

melaniecb said:
Hey, why not give it a try! Do they have any potted flowering plants or vines on their balcony? That might help attract them up to their feeder.

No, but the grounds around their condo are pretty well planted with various and sundry flowers and stuff.

Would they have Hummers year-round? Or what would be the best time of year for them to get started?

Bob

I live in Texas and am not familiar with hummers in Florida, but I have feeders which are very popular, on a 2nd floor deck, but I also have a lot of the hummers' nectar plants on the deck - cuphea, Mexican cigar, lantana, bougainvillea, etc. Hummers do fly high into the tops of trees to catch small insects, so if they saw red/orange flowering plants at a height, they probably would investigate. Right now, though, the Ruby-throated hummers are almost finished migrating south into Central America, but a small number do winter in southern Florida, according to one of my hummer field guides. They will come back next Spring, arriving in S. Florida at the beginning of March.

They could get Cuban Emeralds, Buff-Bellieds, Ruby-throats, Black-chinned, or even Rufous fall through winter...now's a good bet! Let us know what visitors they get.

Where on the Florida coast? Hummingbirds are rare in south Florida except maybe in migration. Awhile back someone took exception to one of my comments that threw a real wet blanket on south Florida hummers. Certainly they show up from time to time, but if you put up a feeder south of, say, Lake Okeechobee, you're likely to be frustrated at the near total absence of action.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back