• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you think have the most WOW factor! (4 Viewers)

Not really. What's the big deal? They are 2 different formats of the same binocular. We wouldn't be interested in your comparison of an 8 x 32 SE with a 12 x 50 SE either.

What we and (I'll bet!) Proud Papa and Swarovski would like to know is how you bought a NEW 7 x 42 Habicht for only $530.00? :eek!:

Is it gray market? Did it "fall off a truck?":smoke:

Bob
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-H...HFECBoak45ii%2FnFvSpc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

He did glance at the moon with them.

Jealous?

Last edited:

Then they are not new after all, right? And the ones you link to above were offered for $929.00, not the $530.00 high bid. So what is the story? How new are they?

And now that that is settled were you planning to describe them as "purchased new" by yourself when you roll them over? Hopefully for a profit?

You are skating near the "thin ice" here.

Bob

Last edited:
Then they are not new after all, right? And the ones you link to above are offered for $929.00, not $530.00. So what is the story?

And now that that is settled were you planning to describe them as "purchased new" by yourself when you roll them over? Hopefully for a profit?

You are skating near the "thin ice" here.

Bob
They are described as "new other" which means basically out of the box. If I don't like them I would sell them as "new other" also.

They are described as "new other" which means basically out of the box. If I don't like them I would sell them as "new other" also.

Well you should go back and read the link you posted in it's entirety. The seller says at the bottom that "they are a few years old I guess they will be considered used."

Their age can easily be determined from their SN.

Keep circling that ice!

Bob

Last edited:
Well you should go back and read the link you posted in it's entirety. The seller says at the bottom that "they are a few years old I guess they will be considered used."

Their age can easily be determined from their SN.

Keep circling that ice!

Bob
Just because something is a few years old doesn't mean it is used. Used is used. If it's only been out of the box a couple of times it is described as "New Other".

Just because something is a few years old doesn't mean it is used. Used is used. If it's only been out of the box a couple of times it is described as "New Other".

That is a new definition of new. It was probably invented by the 3 card monte dealers on e-bay who specialize in buying and selling binoculars!:-O

Do you intend to advise your potential buyers that it is a few years old like the guy who sold yours did? You got it for less than 1/2 the price of a true new Habicht. Nobody else would even bid that high on a 7 x 42 Habicht described as being "a few years old."

Bob

That is a new definition of new. It was probably invented by the 3 card monte dealers on e-bay who specialize in buying and selling binoculars!:-O

Do you intend to advise your potential buyers that it is a few years old like the guy who sold yours did? You got it for less than 1/2 the price of a true new Habicht. Nobody else would even bid that high on a 7 x 42 Habicht described as being "a few years old."

Bob

Actually "New Other" has a specific definition and usage on ebay and is also used by other vendors/entities. There is no intent to be deceitful when that term is used properly:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/contextual/condition_1.html

I think the price paid for those Habichts was a pretty decent deal, assuming the binos were accurately described. If you follow many of those bino auctions people often pay a lot more for lesser models that are often older and in lesser condition.

I look forward to Dennis sharing his opinions on those binos. For those people who find Dennis' opinions annoying/worthless why can't they just ignore him?

Actually "New Other" has a specific definition and usage on ebay and is also used by other vendors/entities. There is no intent to be deceitful when that term is used properly:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/contextual/condition_1.html

I think the price paid for those Habichts was a pretty decent deal, assuming the binos were accurately described. If you follow many of those bino auctions people often pay a lot more for lesser models that are often older and in lesser condition.

I look forward to Dennis sharing his opinions on those binos. For those people who find Dennis' opinions annoying/worthless why can't they just ignore him?

Dennis's opinions on binoculars are often good. Note that I said "often"--not "always." Whether or not comparing an older 7 x 42 Habicht to a new 8 x 30 Habicht can be useful is a subject open to discussion.

The issue here was his original statement that the binoculars were "new."

I don't care what definition E-Bay uses to define "new" for it's vendors. If the word "new" needs a qualification they are not "new."

CAVEAT EMPTOR is the phrase that should be displayed in large letters on the Home Page of E-Bay.

Bob

Dennis's opinions on binoculars are often good. Note that I said "often"--not "always." Whether or not comparing an older 7 x 42 Habicht to a new 8 x 30 Habicht can be useful is a subject open to discussion.

The issue here was his original statement that the binoculars were "new."

I don't care what definition E-Bay uses to define "new" for it's vendors. If the word "new" needs a qualification they are not "new."

CAVEAT EMPTOR is the phrase that should be displayed in large letters on the Home Page of E-Bay.

Bob

I've been to some shops that don't have a lot of rapid turnover of some brands/models of binos that will sell "new" items off the shelf that they have had in inventory sitting on the shelf for many years.

Are they still "NEW"? Do binos have freshness dates somewhere on the box?

That's probably not a bad idea for a manufacturer to have a "Best if sold by xx-xxxx" date on them. ;)

Does one always know for certain that the binos they buy may not have been sent back and repackaged to the same factory fresh standard?

I'm curious about a place such as Eagle Optics that offers such a generous return policy (much to their credit - kudos to them!!) - what do they do with a pair of binos that someone bought and just took out of the box looked thru them once or twice, decided they didn't like them and then repacks them and returns them. Are they then again sold as new? Or is that what Eagle automatically defines as a demo and knocks few dollars off? I wouldn't have any problem if they sell them as a new pair. Of course I wouldn't mind if they call them a demo pair and I could save a few bucks either.

Or does "NEW" only mean that the buyer is the first/only person to have opened the box and taken the binos out since it left the factory?

Personally, when I drop a couple grand on something like a pair of binos I would prefer that a knowledgeable vendor actually take them out of the box and give them a quick once-over to make sure there a re no flaws in them before they ship them to me. On the other hand I know that some people are just the opposite and don't want any fingers other than their own to be the "first" one to touch them. Cest la vie.

"New" means "Never owned by anyone but the manufacturer." If you buy a new Fly Reel for fishing and then decide to sell it you may describe it as; "as new, never used, in original box, in perfect condition." You can use it once or twice and say so adding that it is in "in virtually new condition, used 2 or 3 times, near mint condition."

If you buy a car, drive it around the block, decide you don't like it and return it to the dealer, he will buy it from you as a used car and be required to resell it as one. Neither will you be able to sell it as "New."

Eagle Optics has given their customers the right to return binoculars within 30 days. It is part of their contract of sale. I don't know how they categorize the ones that have been returned like that.

The Dealer selling the binoculars is an agent for the Seller as specified in their contracts. They should be able to open and inspect the binocular package without changing it's new status.

A free, open, honest exchange of information is what is sought here.

Bob

"New" means "Never owned by anyone but the manufacturer." If you buy a new Fly Reel for fishing and then decide to sell it you may describe it as; "as new, never used, in original box, in perfect condition." You can use it once or twice and say so adding that it is in "in virtually new condition, used 2 or 3 times, near mint condition."

If you buy a car, drive it around the block, decide you don't like it and return it to the dealer, he will buy it from you as a used car and be required to resell it as one. Neither will you be able to sell it as "New."

Eagle Optics has given their customers the right to return binoculars within 30 days. It is part of their contract of sale. I don't know how they categorize the ones that have been returned like that.

The Dealer selling the binoculars is an agent for the Seller as specified in their contracts. They should be able to open and inspect the binocular package without changing it's new status.

A free, open, honest exchange of information is what is sought here.

Bob
Well I got the Habicht's 7x42 and I was disappointed because they were not in "New Other" condition as described. They had multiple nicks on them. even some small rust spots around the hinges and they were out of alignment. Oh well you take a risk on Ebay. It won't be the first time I got burned. I filed a "Not as Described" claim and sent them back to the seller and I told him to re list them as used this time. I guess I should have been suspect when there was no actual picture of themand just a canned picture of a Habicht.

Well I got the Habicht's 7x42 and I was disappointed because they were not in "New Other" condition as described. They had multiple nicks on them. even some small rust spots around the hinges and they were out of alignment. Oh well you take a risk on Ebay. It won't be the first time I got burned. I filed a "Not as Described" claim and sent them back to the seller and I told him to re list them as used this time. I guess I should have been suspect when there was no actual picture of themand just a canned picture of a Habicht.

Well, I'm not going to tell you "I told your so." We live and learn and we often forget!

Better luck next time!

I'm still wondering how you were going to compare 2 different formats of the same binocular without going over how they differ. A 7 x 42 is a 7 x 42 and an 8 x 30 is an 8 x 30!:smoke:

Bob

Dennis

Did they have the newer coatings or did you look through them enough to tell. The older coatings had a very noticeable yellow tint that was very obvious when looking at something white. If they had the newer coatings and could be purchased cheap enough they could be sent back to Swarovski and serviced for a nominal fee which should result in a like new Habicht.

Steve

Dennis

Did they have the newer coatings or did you look through them enough to tell. The older coatings had a very noticeable yellow tint that was very obvious when looking at something white. If they had the newer coatings and could be purchased cheap enough they could be sent back to Swarovski and serviced for a nominal fee which should result in a like new Habicht.

Steve
I did notice a yellow tint compared to my 8x30 Habicht's so they probably had the older coatings.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back