• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I go 7x (1 Viewer)

Torview

I`v been looking at the 0% deal with Uttings trying to decide to buy a Victory FL before they get replaced, it seems there won`t be a 7x42 HT, I don`t like a 10x, I`v always used 8x.

I prefer not to buy online but this 0% is a good deal, I`v not been able to try the 7x42 FL, anyone got an opinion on the 7 vs 8 ?

I`v been looking at the 0% deal with Uttings trying to decide to buy a Victory FL before they get replaced, it seems there won`t be a 7x42 HT, I don`t like a 10x, I`v always used 8x.

I prefer not to buy online but this 0% is a good deal, I`v not been able to try the 7x42 FL, anyone got an opinion on the 7 vs 8 ?

Advantages of 7- wider field of view, brighter and easier to hold steady. The depth of field is massive- don't have to focus much beyond 25 yards. Image is not that much smaller. Tried the EDG I, Ultravid HD and FL back to back for at least 30 minutes. My conclusion was that the ultra and FL seemed sharper than the EDG. The color and contrast favored the ultra and that is what I walked home with. My review is on Eagle Optics the "power of seven".

The EDG has nice color and contrast like the ultra, but the ultra is sharper. In fact, it is the only glass I've seen that can keep up with my 8.5 Sv in terms of center sharpness.

Last edited:
I like a 7x for the reasons Newfie states. On a limited try out of the EDG II, Leica and Zeiss x42s in bright conditions the Nikon was the winner for me, but low light, my guess it would be the Zeiss. All are beyond my budget for the moment, but I love my 7x26 Bushnell and 7x36 Opticron. I usually take a 10x or 12x as well rather than be weighed down with a scope and those smaller/lighter options work well for me. Haven't tried a booster with a top class 7x yet but it's a tempting prospect.

David

I like a 7x for the reasons Newfie states. On a limited try out of the EDG II, Leica and Zeiss x42s in bright conditions the Nikon was the winner for me, but low light, my guess it would be the Zeiss. All are beyond my budget for the moment, but I love my 7x26 Bushnell and 7x36 Opticron. I usually take a 10x or 12x as well rather than be weighed down with a scope and those smaller/lighter options work well for me. Haven't tried a booster with a top class 7x yet but it's a tempting prospect.

David

Interesting, I wonder why we have different results? Sample variation or differences in our eyes? This is why it is best to try for yourself.

Best,
Newfie

I read another post of your's and was going to post not to forget to try the 7 if you are thinking of the 8 FL.

I tested Swarovision, Swaro EL, Leica HD (the 7), FL both 8 and 7 and finally a 7 Dialyt and the 7 FL gave me all I wanted. I would have tried the 7 Edg if it were available at the time, but it wasn't out yet so I didn't - I quite possibly would have gone for the FL for close focus ability anyway.

The only one of those I definitely couldn't have lived with was the Leica, something to do with the eye relief, and the Dialyt image was not a patch on the FL, so I decided the 7 FL was for me due to the steadiness a 7 could give over even an 8, and of course a 7 will be wider and brighter than the 8 too. I haven't regretted buying a 7 at all, if you can't see enough with a 7, an 8 is unlikely to help, a scope is likely what is needed, a 7 suits all my birding needs, and the less sharp edge of an FL does not hinder birding use, it is only noticable against a plain background and is invisible in trees for example. The 7 magnification is noticably steadier than an 8 for me.

I would also say try if you can first though - I totally wouldn't have expected my thoughts on the Leica before trying them - they just weren't compatible with my eyes! :t:

Most of the binoculars I've owned over the years have been 8x including the 8x42 Ultravid (not HD) and added the Zeiss 7x42 FL after a trip to High Island Texas in April where the best birding conditions were quite dim and a wide field also was quite helpful. Compared them to the 7x Ultravid HD, 7x EDG II, and Zeiss 8x42 FL. Also looked through some swarovski SV's but my intent was to purchase a supremely bright, wide field, full size 7x binocular and the 7x42 FL won out. They also had a price advantage which was a bonus.

The wider field was noticeable in comparison to the others and the brightness certainly is a strength in low light conditions. I now agree that a 7 is easier to hold steady but I still like to carry a pair of 10x if I'm using a backpack- more for fun than necessity however and also probably to justify owning so many binoculars. Try before you buy as we all have different needs/opinions.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I`v dug out my old 7x21 Nikon reverse porro from the attic , I knew it was up there somewhere, its not very good but it does help judge the drop in image size from the 8, its not a big deal.

I wanted to take advantage of the 0% deal, I tried and liked the 8x FL side by side with my 8x40 Conquest the other day but I can`t justify the added expense to myself on the 8x Victory, it does`nt bring enough improvement for the outlay, the 7x with the much wider view would make most sense.

The 7x EDG and Ultravid are more expensive and I like the Zeiss feel in the hands that bit more.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I`v dug out my old 7x21 Nikon reverse porro from the attic , I knew it was up there somewhere, its not very good but it does help judge the drop in image size from the 8, its not a big deal.

I wanted to take advantage of the 0% deal, I tried and liked the 8x FL side by side with my 8x40 Conquest the other day but I can`t justify the added expense to myself on the 8x Victory, it does`nt bring enough improvement for the outlay, the 7x with the much wider view would make most sense.

The 7x EDG and Ultravid are more expensive and I like the Zeiss feel in the hands that bit more.
I don't care for the smaller image of 7X. I have tried alot of them. Stick to 8x for all around.

My Zeiss 7x42 FL's are my favorite woodland birding bin. It's big, wide and very easy natural view is hard to beat in the woods. Everything looks so natural that I find I'm more inclined to thoroughly scan the thickets and I end up seeing birds that I didnt even realize were there. The brightness also helps in these conditions.

This thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=128959 along with others, helped me decide 7x was worth considering, especially the comments made by FrankD and Alexis Powell. I know FrankD has tried loads of binoculars so if he rated them that high I just had to try them!

I posted a similar thread at the time http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=159727

The image is smaller, but in the field, where it counts, the difference in detail is far outweighed by the steadiness of image for me - a slightly larger shakey image doesn't work as well as a slightly smaller steady image for me, but we are all different. I was buying with the future in mind too, I can only get shakier :-O

7x may not be the popular choice, but in my eyes it is an informed and much underrated choice - I have Zen-Ray 7x36 as my back up bins, and I must say they too are brilliant!

Torview, for what it is worth, I liked the 7 Fl more than the 8 and 10. If you can get a good deal and you already have 8 go with the 7.

and...

I also have thought of getting a 7 power to go with the 10. What has kept me from going ahead (besides the price) is the knowledge that I live in such a wide open area that 7 power seems like a waste.

However I have not used one in this setting and it may be the just the ticket.

John

I also have thought of getting a 7 power to go with the 10. What has kept me from going ahead (besides the price) is the knowledge that I live in such a wide open area that 7 power seems like a waste.

However I have not used one in this setting and it may be the just the ticket.

John

Not saying 7's are for everyone, but I mainly bird expansive saltmarshes - I used to use 8x30's combined with a scope, and don't find that I get my scope out any more with a 7 than I did with an 8.

I did try a cheap pair of 10's to see if I could get on with them, but they actually made me tired with the effort of using them - all my birding was on foot that day, as is quite often the case, with nothing to rest my bins on to stabilise them, and I realised that day that a 10 was not for me and my style of birding.

I then got a cheap pair of 7x porros and did a similar exercise, with much more satisfactory results :t:

In general I now think that if a bird is too far away with a 7, then it is also too far away with an 8. A 10 might help, if you can keep it steady, but I am now addicted to the steady wide bright views of 7's |=)|

This is proving very informative, it seems those who rate a 7 really are sold on them.

I must say on my old scope with a 16-48 zoom I rarely used anything but the 16x setting, I now have a 20x fixed on an 80mm scope and don`t envisage needing more power.

7 x 42 binoculars are easy on the eyes. That big 6mm exit pupil is handy under almost all light conditions. Under very bright light where your pupils are constricted it makes your eye placement easy. It's perfect for pelagic trips on a rocking boat. It's DOF is great in birding trips to to the jungle and the 6mm exit pupil will accommodate an adults wide open pupil in a darkened jungle with room to spare. Most of them have very long eye relief and work well with spectacles. Raptor experts like Jerry Liguori use them in identifying high flying migrating Raptors and recommend them for their wide FOV.

Bob

Last edited:
'Stet' and 'ceasar' hit the nail on the head when they say 7x42 is a nice easy view. Nothing else comes close, not even a 7x35 although that's easier than an 8x32. As you Americans say, "Just do the math" (in England, 'maths') and it's plain as a pikestaff that you're seeing a bright and relaxing image. You don't even have to pay a fortune for a decent 7x42: shop around and you can find used Bausch & Lomb Discoverers or new Weaver Grand Slams at a little over £100, for a budget 'wow!'. Still not crystal clear to you? You need a 7x42...

Yes, go 7x fir all the reasons illustrated above. I have 7x bins with objective sizes from 18 mm all the way up to 50 mm. Love them all.

7 x 42 binoculars are easy on the eyes. That big 6mm exit pupil is handy under almost all light conditions. Under very bright light where your pupils are constricted it makes your eye placement easy. It's perfect for pelagic trips on a rocking boat. It's DOF is great in birding trips to to the jungle and the 6mm exit pupil will accommodate an adults wide open pupil in a darkened jungle with room to spare. Most of them have very long eye relief and work well with spectacles. Raptor experts like Jerry Liguori use them in identifying high flying migrating Raptors and recommend them for their wide FOV.

Bob
Even with all those advantages there is one BIG disadvantage to 7X. They don't bring the bird or object your looking as close as 8X. You don't see as much detail and in my opinion it's almost like your not looking through a binocular. There is a reason 8X is by far the most popular magnification. Most people prefer it. Don't let the 7X converts sell you on it. You will see the bird better and see more detail on the bird with 8X and that is what really matters. Who cares if you have to focus a little more often? One you get the bird in focus you are going to enjoy the view more on a bigger image scale. An older adult's pupil only opens 4mm if you are over 50 so a 6mm exit pupil does not help you one bit. An 8X can have almost as big a FOV as the 7X's. Really a 400 to 450 foot FOV is all you need anyway. How often do you bird on a rocking boat? I don't. I would never buy a 7X especially if it is the only binocular I owned. BIG mistake!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back