• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the best roof in the world better optically than the best porro? (1 Viewer)

The SV is the best. The best of anything is always more expensive. You have to decide if it worth it to you to get the very best view of the bird and be able to use it under any condition for $2K. That is not a lot nowadays for a hobby. The SV could replace all your binoculars.
According to KBB.com, the 8.5X42 is now worth more than my automobile!

Not compared the SE head to head with the SV but I did with the SLC HD ( I believe the SLC HD is very much on par with the SV apart from the edges)

Anyway I agree with you, the SV has a bigger field of view, less CA, sharp edges and better eye relief than the SE, no doubt about it, its a better all round modern birding bin than the SE, but I still prefer the SE! Optically speaking though, I think they are both so good its a matter of preference and I prefer the SE ( bit like you did not long ago;) )
Until I really compared the SE to the SV. When I did them back to back under different conditions I said to myself this SV is actually better optically than the darn SE. I guess it is that big sharp right to the edge field that impresses me on the SV. The 3D image on it is very good also close to the SE. It is VERY bright also under low light conditions. It is the first roof that I don't feel has to bow to the porro's in any way.

You kept that quiet !!

I have no doubt the SV is better, it bloody well ought to be, and even if it was`nt are the pair really competitors in the same binocular market ?

Not to me, one is easily available, the other takes real effort to seek out from a committed buyer.

Lets have a real revue or comparison for once to back up your stance, rather than these one or two word superlative statements.
Allbinos rates the 8.5x42 SV at about 151 points and the 8x32 SE at 141 points. Not the same magnification but it obvious they are saying they think the SV is the better view. The 32 would probably score as well if not better.

Until I really compared the SE to the SV. When I did them back to back under different conditions I said to myself this SV is actually better optically than the darn SE. I guess it is that big sharp right to the edge field that impresses me on the SV. The 3D image on it is very good also close to the SE. It is VERY bright also under low light conditions. It is the first roof that I don't feel has to bow to the porro's in any way.
Are you sure?

Absolutely. To my eyes the SV is better than the SV. Of course we all look for different things. But to me there is no contest. Comparing the two the SE was disappointing compared to the SV.

I confused. Was this like in the movies where there is a flashback moment?

Yep, its sort of like Lost mixed with The Matrix with Dennis playing the part of the smoke monster in the former and the Architect in the latter. At the same time. :eek!:

Not suitable for small children or persons of a nervous disposition.

Lee

Personally, I've used up several porros but not one roofie, and I've owned about the same number of each with a marked tendency to carry the roof prisms more.

Personally, I've used up several porros but not one roofie, and I've owned about the same number of each with a marked tendency to carry the roof prisms more.

I think I am going this way too. I really like the smaller porros in the 30 and 32mm range, but I do tend to grab my little 8x30 roof much more before heading out lately. It's b/c my Nikon SE is still somewhat large (wide) compared to a compact roof such as the Swaro CL I have. Lately, I'm preferring light, compact roofs even though my 8x32 Nikon SE has a way better image. I never thought I'd do this, but I believe at some point I may sell the SE. It should be used more and, since I work full time and really only have the weekends to get outdoors with the bins, the SE is not seeing a lot of action. I've been thinking of getting one bin that combines the nice attributes of my CL and SE; the waterproof, lightness, small size of the CL and the super sharp optics and nice focuser of the SE. I will need to spend some bucks. I will still have my little Jenoptem and original Yosemite.

Oetzi,

This optics obsessive Cat begs to differ:

Just a cursory look but it appears the bino is a Nikon 7x50 or something similar and the large exit pupil make sense considering how large a cats pupil dilates....I just....don't understand.....the need for the built in compass????

Steve

I think I am going this way too. I really like the smaller porros in the 30 and 32mm range, but I do tend to grab my little 8x30 roof much more before heading out lately. It's b/c my Nikon SE is still somewhat large (wide) compared to a compact roof such as the Swaro CL I have. Lately, I'm preferring light, compact roofs even though my 8x32 Nikon SE has a way better image. I never thought I'd do this, but I believe at some point I may sell the SE. It should be used more and, since I work full time and really only have the weekends to get outdoors with the bins, the SE is not seeing a lot of action. I've been thinking of getting one bin that combines the nice attributes of my CL and SE; the waterproof, lightness, small size of the CL and the super sharp optics and nice focuser of the SE. I will need to spend some bucks. I will still have my little Jenoptem and original Yosemite.

Same thing happened to me. I had the 8x32 SE for 2-3 years but it just wasn't getting much use. I had issues with blackouts, it was a pain to keep rolling the cups up and down when my wife was with and we tried to share it, when I was traveling (especially by air) I just liked the little 8x32 FL better. So the SE fell out of use and was sold. That doesn't happen to all users, but it might surprise you how many have sold them over the years. Just goes to show you one size doesn't fit all.

Mark

Just a cursory look but it appears the bino is a Nikon 7x50 or something similar and the large exit pupil make sense considering how large a cats pupil dilates....I just....don't understand.....the need for the built in compass????

Steve

He must be in the Navy :)

Same thing happened to me. I had the 8x32 SE for 2-3 years but it just wasn't getting much use. I had issues with blackouts, it was a pain to keep rolling the cups up and down when my wife was with and we tried to share it, when I was traveling (especially by air) I just liked the little 8x32 FL better. So the SE fell out of use and was sold. That doesn't happen to all users, but it might surprise you how many have sold them over the years. Just goes to show you one size doesn't fit all.

Mark

True. Another slightly troubling thing with the SE (probably unique to me) is soreness after use. Sounds weird, but it makes sense and it took me a little while to figure it out. For about 13yrs I've been at the same company and work on a PC all day. I'm pointing and clicking all day long and have tendon pain in my right hand frequently. I have an ergonomic keyboard and mouse which cuts down considerably on soreness, but it still persists. Well, after a few hours or more out with the SE on weekends I noticed my right hand felt sore in the trouble spots I experience at work. My hypothesis is that the actions of using the mouse and focusing the SE are somewhat similar. The reason I don't really experience this soreness with my other bins I think is due to the fatter stubby barrels of the SE. When my fingers reach for the wheel to focus, there is a little extra pressure from the barrel in my palm which causes tension on my tendons. I know it sounds strange, but I think this is what's going on and why my hand is slightly sore. I need the weekend for my hands to get a break, so it's troubling that they are being worked out in this way with the SE. This is another reason to sell it. But, it's hard to get rid of it b/c it's such a nice binocular.

oh no...new drama !
Someone is taking issue with the Cat and perhaps even the OP
of this thread:

Attachments

• PG_Binocular_dog.jpg
    PG_Binocular_dog.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back