• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida 2015 List (1 Viewer)

Well the list seems to have ground to a halt. A really poor spring migration this year but it is what it is. Spent today chasing butterflies instead but did manage to add one year bird.

253 Mississippi Kite Levy County, FL

Cheers
Randy

Well here it's been over two weeks since I have had anything new to post. Not for lack of trying but for a lack of new birds.

Today headed south to Celery Fields in Sarasota, FL in hopes of finding either the male or female Shiny Cowbird reported over the last week. How lucky could we get but to pull up and the female is feeding right there in front of us. No luck on the male or in finding the Bronzed Cowbird reported off and on for several months.

Next off to Siesta Key in Sarasota for Snowy Plovers and hopefully a Gull Billed tern. Well the Snowy's were running around in the sand but no Gull Billed Tern to be found.

No complaints after such a long dry spell.

So two new birds added to Florida year list

254 Shiny Cowbird Celery Fields--South Cell
255 Snowy Plover US-FL-Siesta Key-156 Beach Rd

Cheers
Randy

Attachments

• 226 Shiny Cowbird - Female  6-3-2014.jpg
    226 Shiny Cowbird - Female 6-3-2014.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 225 Snowy Plover 6-3-2014.jpg
    225 Snowy Plover 6-3-2014.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 33
Nothing much going right now in florida. In California right now chasing western birds, and visiting friends. Just returned from half moon Bay Area. Added olive sidled flycatcher and brant to my life list. Also lazuli bunting on Saturday to life list at coyote hills regional park Great weather, great friends and great wine. Fun way to spend my time off from teaching

Randy

Just back from 3 great weeks visiting friends in California. Got out for short time to get bird 256 Black Tern. We have a small group that shows up yearly for a,few weeks on a small strip of beach. Loads of other juvi birds on birds like least and royal terns

Waiting for shorebird activity to pick up As we are in the dead zone right now

Cheers
Randy

Always great when I can add a life bird to my list and in this case it's a really good one. Yesterday I headed south toward Ft Myers, FL. Was a bit on edge If the bird would be visible as we have been experiencing lots of thunderstorms the past few days. Two and a half long hours As I was near the end of the trip a storm broke out that made driving difficult but did let up as I arrived to find the bird. Summer thunderstorms can be quite intense here dumping inch of water in a short period of time I guess it was meant to be as the clouds broke up long enough for me to get clear views of an American Flamingo. A very exciting life bird for me. I did manage to get a couple if Id pics but from distance not great. But either way I was a happy birder as I headed north back into the rain showers.

Year birds for the day
257 American Flamingo Estero Aquatic Preserve--Central US-FL 24 Jul 2015
258 Eurasian Wigeon Del Prado US-FL 24 Jul 2015

Cheers
Randy

Added 3 birds so far this week

259 Eastern Wood-Pewee Sawgrass Lake Park

This bird was found early in the morning by another birder and represents the earliest confirmed sighting of this species in the county. I refound later in the day

Today (Wed) I picked up a buddy at 4 a.m. and we headed toward West Palm Beach on the other side of the state. A 4+ hour drive one way. We here delayed because of an unexpected road closure but made it to the site 30 min later than planned. The bird of the day was to be a Smooth-Billed Ani. A life bird for both of us. After walking out to reported location the bird showed itself about 30 min later, perching up on a willow snag. We observed the bird for about 45 min as t work it's way closer to our location. Sky was cloudy and gray making photography a pain but I was able to get some decent pic's when the bird came in closer. It began to feed in a tree across the canal and flew with a treat in it's bill to another tree where we heard a 2nd bird. It then emerged (see pic). This is a really exciting find for both of us as this bird has all but dissappeared from our state. Overdevelopment, particuallary in the Miami area where this bird used to breed in numbers as all but eliminated it from the state. The good news is these two birds seemed to have nested so maybe there is hope they will hang around the area once the young are hatched. In addition several other birds have been reported in near by areas. Same birds, don't know but let's hope it's different birds.

260 Smooth-billed Ani Loxahatchee NWR--Marsh Trail

Last bird of the day is the Gull-billed Tern. We were able to locate 4 birds (adults and begging fledged young) in a flooded field. Great way to end the day before we started the long drive home. Left at 4 a.m. and returned home at 4:30 pm. 400+ miles so pretty tired right now but really enjoyed a great day in the field.

261 Gull-billed Tern Browns Farm Rd

Cheers and good birding. B :)

Randy

Attachments

• Smoth Billed Ani 3 7-29-2015.jpg
    Smoth Billed Ani 3 7-29-2015.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 20
Not Much to report lately as it's been rather slow. Hoping for this to improve as we move into fall. Just a couple things to report.

263 Blackburnian Warbler Sawgrass Lake Park US-FL
264 Silver-beaked Tanager Boyd Hill Nature Park US-FL

The tanager is a weird one. Expectation is it escape from someone as the bird does not migrate and is wayyyy out of its area.

Finally, fall birds starting to show up. Another day of rain but at least today a cold front (kinda) dropped humidity to 67% and only feels like 90 degs outstide. Been raining heavy off an on last couple of days so dropping some birds in.

Over last fews days added

323 Cerulean Warbler
324 Semipalmated Sandpiper
325 Golden-winged Warbler
326 Tennessee Warbler

My first Golden-Winged since Sept 9, 2012.

Also added a couple new yard birds this week with Worm Eating Warbler and Eastern wood-pewee

We have had so much rain this summer and fall it's crazy. Have not been able to get out because of weather. Hoping todays cold front means fall will kick and soon along with continue reduction in humidity and temps. Am more than ready

Cheers
Randy

A few addon's for this week. Rain, rain, rain but not many birds, at least anything new.

Added 3 to the list this week

269 Clay-colored Sparrow
270 Acadian Flycatcher
271 Magnolia Warbler

The Clay-colored Sparrow which is a rarity for us showed up in a fellow birders backyard of all places. She put out the call and I was able to get to see it. Always a tough bird.

Did a 4 hour run north to Big Bend NWA in search of butterflies. Had a great day chasing lep's (add 5 new ones to my list) but also located 5 Acadian Flycatchers. Most ever in a day.

Things will start to pickup once the colder weather pushes in up North, at least we hope.

Cheers
Randy

Sad to say not much to report. Fall has been disappointing for us. Traveled to Miami area on Sunday in search of butterflies. Did pick up one bird

272 Common Hill Myna A. D. Barnes Park

Out again this morning. Are seeing some wintering brids show up. Kestrel and White Crowned Sparrow (rarity) but nothing new for the year.

Cheers
Randy

Exciting day today. Only added one bird to the list but really a good one for Florida or really anywhere in US

273 Variegated Flycatcher Evergreen Cemetery (Broward Co.)

Bird first reported by others over a week ago. Has been a constant stream of birders to site. Luckly it was still around this morning. Left the house at 345 am arrived at location about 8 am. Birders already on location. Many close views of bird with great photo's. Stayed about an hour before heading back home. Long day on the road but well worth the time.

Cheers
Randy

Attachments

• Varigated Flycatcher  10-31-2015.jpg
    Varigated Flycatcher 10-31-2015.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 32
Added a couple of more birds to year list in Florida

274 Virginia Rail Celery Fields--South Cell

This one is a surprise. It was found by another birder at a park that no one visits because its a bad location. Florida rarity

275 Bell's Vireo Joe's Creek Greenway Park US-FL

Cheers
Randy :t:

Attachments

• 251 bells vireo   11-22-2015.jpg
    251 bells vireo 11-22-2015.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 29
It's been A very busy time with trips to north Florida and ft lauderdale fl this past two weeks. Was able add several birds to my year and life list

276 Winter Wren Florida Caverns SP US-FL
277 Golden-crowned Kinglet Florida Caverns SP US-FL
278 White-throated Sparrow Florida Caverns SP US-FL
279 Pine Siskin Florida Caverns SP US-FL 2
280 Henslow's Sparrow Apalachicola NF-- Post Office Bay FR-123 NE US-FL
281 Sprague's Pipit Regional Airport US-FL
282 Black Scoter US-FL
283 Seaside Sparrow Bald Point SP US-FL Life bird :t:
284 Nelson's Sparrow Mashes Sands County Park US-FL
285 Eastern Whip-poor-will St. Marks NWR--Panacea Unit--Bottoms Rd. US-FL
286 American Bittern St. Marks NWR US-FL
287 Western Spindalis Markham Park US-FL Life bird :t:

Trip to panhandle was outstanding. Loads of good birds many, though not lifers were new to my state list. The Western Spindalis in Ft Lauderdale was outstanding. Only downside was unable to get a picture. Great birding this past couple of weeks

pics
https://flic.kr/p/Bx9Rtt
https://flic.kr/p/B6W2hF

Cheers
Randy

Last edited:
The western invasion continues. This time a western grebe was found over in Aurburndale Fl. So off we went this morning at 6 am for the 90 min drive. Pulled up and birder was already there scoping the lake. Lucked out and found bird in about 10 minutes. Bird Stayed in middle of lake so no luck on pics. Think this is only fourth report sighting of Western Grebe in Florida
Decided to swing by for some exotic species up the road in Lakeland. One thing we have plenty of is introduced escaped birds.

288 Mute exotic
289 Black Swan exotic
290 Black-necked Swan. Exotic
291 Coscoroba Swan exotic
292 Common Shelduck. Exotic
293 Mandarin Duck. Exotic
294 Mallard
295 Western Grebe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back