• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

windows 10 (1 Viewer)

I have had it for free,would not let me download photos,witha a card reader,downloaded using camera,it down loaded, but said it could not open them,if you have not had it for more than a month,you can go back to your old system.That is what I did.

I have had it for free,would not let me download photos,witha a card reader,downloaded using camera,it down loaded, but said it could not open them,if you have not had it for more than a month,you can go back to your old system.That is what I did.

You're having a problem with photos?

I don't have any problems managing photos. I use the Canon utilities to download untransferred photos and then use Faststone Image Viewer to look at them.

Update; "Critical Error start not working ". Seems to be quite a common problem. Have reset to Windows 7 with the loss of some installed apps and desktop files.

Update; "Critical Error start not working ". Seems to be quite a common problem. Have reset to Windows 7 with the loss of some installed apps and desktop files.
No problems at all with me - win 10 has run flawlessly.
What Antivirus software are you running? I have seen some who had this error message with 'Avast' as there antivirus , when they removed it and restarted the PC all was well.

Last edited:
No problems at all with me - win 10 has run flawlessly.
What Antivirus software are you running? I have seen some who had this error message with 'Avast' as there antivirus , when they removed it and restarted the PC all was well.

Hi Roy,

I'm an Apple user so I'm going on hear say here. Some of my close friends who are very computer literate are running a free anti virus program called Panda. They all speak very highly of it.

I got a new notebook in June with Win7 (not 8.1) and it was giving me all kinds of problems and I had to reinstall Windows7 just to get windows update to even work. Even after the reinstall things started falling apart again. I migrated to Win10 a few weeks ago and since then zero issues.

I have seen some people complaining about win10 and antivirus software. I don't doubt some people have issues. So many different computer vendors and drivers.

I use Norton mainly because it's part of our Comcast package and have had no issues. I also run Malwarebytes and no issues.

Hi Roy,

I'm an Apple user so I'm going on hear say here. Some of my close friends who are very computer literate are running a free anti virus program called Panda. They all speak very highly of it.
I am sure there are many free anti virus progs that work fine with win 10 - I use AVG free with no problems whatsoever. I also run Malwarebytes free with no problems.

I have tried the upgrade from Windows 7 too now and also had video problems, however I had the same issues when I upgraded the same laptop to Windows 8 when it came out. I had hoped that the issue would be sorted out with this version but am now confident it will never happen.

So I have done the same as last time, rolled back to a fully functioning 7 and that's where we will remain until the next hardware upgrade :t:

Oh gawd!!! Windows popped up to ask me about upgrading to Win10 this morning, with the option of "Now" or "Later", so I clicked on "Later".

It then proceeded to check my system then downloaded new files. Finishing with the Now or later box again.

I selected the last available date of 30 November at 4am.

Then I get a message to say that you can not delay any further and if my computer isn't switched on at that time, it will install W10 the next time I do switch on.

Much as i disliked W8 this time last year, I'm more used to it now, especially as I have the Classicshell to make it look like W7.

Should I be worried?

W10 working fine on two laptops - installed a couple of months ago. W10 got ill on a PC; uninstalled and back to W7 without any problem. Back up everything ( you do anyway, don't you?) and give it a try.

Oh gawd!!! Windows popped up to ask me about upgrading to Win10 this morning, with the option of "Now" or "Later", so I clicked on "Later".

It then proceeded to check my system then downloaded new files. Finishing with the Now or later box again.

I selected the last available date of 30 November at 4am.

Then I get a message to say that you can not delay any further and if my computer isn't switched on at that time, it will install W10 the next time I do switch on.

Much as i disliked W8 this time last year, I'm more used to it now, especially as I have the Classicshell to make it look like W7.

Should I be worried?

Same here but I didn't click on either choice. I just hit the x at the top of the box ;)

Thanks Egret. It's still a scary thought

One of the reasons I switched to Linux completely, Delia, was Windows trying to force me to do something I didn't want to do. It didn't of course, as I knew what was going to happen and prevented it.

Windows 7 is supported for another 5 years, so I had no intention of upgrading. Then I found Windows downloading Windows 10 without my permission (I'm always monitoring what's being downloaded) so I stopped the download, deleted the files, and uninstalled the relevant Windows Update to stop it trying again.

You should have a choice, I didn't, and it looks like you haven't either, Delia; I think that's wrong, and it doesn't inspire confidence in Windows 10.

So if you're happy with Windows 7, and there's nothing in Windows 10 that's a must have, then stick with what you've got, Delia... it's not worth the hassle ;)

ummm.... I might do that Chris, but I can't see how.

And even then I might be too scared to LOL.

My computer is so old I decided to try it. it lost my disc drive completely and I have not found the hack for that. I use an external DVD drive now.

It does not actually do anything Windows 7 did not do. Other than try to sell you apps. The picture viewer is unstable and closes itself and a couple of other "free" things do not stay open.

It should be OK preinstalled on a machine. I may get Windows 10 next time. Too much trouble to seek old computers on Amazon.

Oh.... why does it always happen to me!!!?

I tried downloading the first one, which should have taken 5 minutes, 15 minutes later it was still stuck with 4 minutes to go. So then I thought I'd go for the Stand Alone version, which should take 20 minutes.

Twenty minutes later it still has 20 minutes to go.

For some reason they're just not downloading onto my laptop!!!

Delia that's a tad strange.
I just downloaded the stand alone, took 40 sec or so on very average broadband.
You use Pale Moon from memory ??
Try another browser some websites can be a little finicky.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back