• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (2 Viewers)

Tawny Owl sat calling on a telegraph pole 15m from my bedroom window at 0230hrs in Nottingham, lovely, prolonged view.

A

Two more to add here. A Moorhen has been around for the last week, the first for 11 months and a flyover Buzzard yesterday takes my total to 41.

Cigar for you Jos! The females are particularly varied in tones of yellow, one of them is quite brown, Ken will no doubt say I'm 'Pining' for a rarity.........................

I'm just ''pining'' for a new addition!....If it's not bad enough with you thrusting Hawfinches at me, and H with Bramblings and Waxwings, it's enough to send me out of house...to find the latter! ;)

Attachments

• P1430387.jpeg    Wax.8..jpg
    P1430387.jpeg Wax.8..jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 65
Flushed a Snipe today ... and twice had a crest sp. fly past me ... both times giving a Firecrest feel but couldn't relocate in the hedge where landed.

... and twice had a crest sp. fly past me ... both times giving a Firecrest feel but couldn't relocate in the hedge where landed.

....I expect it took it upon itself....to ''edger-cate'' you into the finer points of hide and seek, and in doing so...left you somewhat ignicapilla-tated. ;)

At last!....at 9.50 am, the unmistakeable "honking" before two stormed into view!...Canada Geese no.51.

Last edited:
Two new birds yesterday - a very vocal Coal Tit and a first w male (presumably) Reed Bunting.

Took it upon myself to wrap up and sit out at dusk - Green Woodie over, and then the first Woodcock (a second bird later) ... jinking against the sky before dropping down into the long grass only about 25 yards away!!

Unfortunately it was past dusk and so gloomy views in the bins were worse than by eye, but still nice ;)

Ought to tot up the total again soon. On the mammal front - bunnies frolicking and one youngster seen, and brief views of the backside of a Pygmy Shrew the other day.

..............soon to be published book on Common Birds of Lebanon.

I've had a huge set-back on my book's progress - lost all the work from a defunct laptop - AND the back-up memory stick. That's years of work lost to me. Already tried recovering the data and nothing found except heiroglyphs.

Gosh! You two are a literary pair. Sorry about the set back H. I can really really sympathise. I did my stint as Sussex Bird Report editor for five years and and know the IT and editorial problems. Is there some way you can recover the info? There are people who are able to find these lost things in computers. I really hope so. What's the book about?

Gosh! You two are a literary pair. Sorry about the set back H. I can really really sympathise. I did my stint as Sussex Bird Report editor for five years and and know the IT and editorial problems. Is there some way you can recover the info? There are people who are able to find these lost things in computers. I really hope so. What's the book about?

Maybe an expensive professional data recovery expert might be able to do something - already had the local expert try.
I'm too upset to do anything at the moment - but will try again.

Two new today - a surprise Fieldfare flying to roost with Redwings before dusk (basically don't get them in the main winter period, perhaps surprisingly), and a new bird overall - Common Gull.

Thought I'd scan a field visible with a few gulls in - should do it more often tbh to see a subad Common Gull wandering about with the Herrings ...

That's pretty gutting - sympathies and trust there is a way ...

Thanks, Dan.

I'm off to the Philippines next week - I'll give it another try when I return.

Enforced day at home today - back after abandoning my car in the snow this am.! There's only so far a snow shovel can get you!

Richard Prior , didnt know you were writing a book, perhaps you could send me some détails about it .Seeing every day over 40 house sparrows and thats only covering the part of the garden I can see from kitchen door windows. Today can be out in the garden since midday lucky of that sometimes this time of year.
Few days ago very stormy weather and very cold !

First Chaffinch song today in this mild spell and like Dan the other day saw a crest sp fly past but don't know which one it was. On Sunday we came across 2 Alpine Accentors less than 1km from the house so I'm keeping an eye out for them here!
Will send you a message Brenda, glad you weren't flooded out!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back