• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (4 Viewers)

Time to take stock ...

Time to take stock here ...caught and rung Great Grey Shrike (first time, though winters every year).

Great Tits recovered after three years of falling number (though still 30% down overall), Blue Tits having best year ever. All else much the same, though woodpeckers attending feeders less frequently in past years.

However, a month earlier than last year, I have expectations of the spring gates creaking open in these next few days ... Crane maybe tomorrow ??

I'm just back from the Philippines folks.
Signs of spring despite the sleet.
Siskins on the feeder

Now. While I was away the house was sold (after just a few days on the market!) . So how do I stand if I move in April or May?

I'm just back from the Philippines folks.
Signs of spring despite the sleet.
Siskins on the feeder

Now. While I was away the house was sold (after just a few days on the market!) . So how do I stand if I move in April or May?

Start again :) Just means you'll get some nice bonuses in the second winter period when the rest of us start hibernating :)

Time to take stock after the first two months and compare how the new garden compares to the old one:
At our previous place last year 42 species, at our new house this year 44.
Eight species not seen here so far that I saw/heard at our old house (in italics the ones I strongly doubt I'll see here): Italian Sparrow, Starling, Pheasant, Collared Dove, Lesser Redpoll, Red Kite, Meadow Pipit, Common Kestrel.
Ten seen/heard here so far but not at the old garden by end Feb last year: Common Treecreeper, Tengmalm's Owl, Long-tailed Tit, Common Crossbill, Rock Bunting, Lammergeier, Peregrine Falcon, Marsh Harrier, Yellowhammer, Song Thrush.
Lammergeier the only one never seen/heard at the old house (missed one by being in the fields instead of at home on one occasion!).
The spring and autumn migration periods will bring fewer fly over raptors I suspect, so I'm predicting a year total in the low 80s rather than the 90s.
All good fun anyway :t:

What were the respective altitudes?

Depends on the topography I guess, but I'd assume Red Kite if you're going to get Black Kites on passage?

What were the respective altitudes?

Depends on the topography I guess, but I'd assume Red Kite if you're going to get Black Kites on passage?

We were at 1,100m before, on a plateau overlooking the plain below (and Lake Geneva in the distance), so a lot of sky. Red Kites had recently moved into the area to nest, though the odd migrants passed by too.
Now we're at 1,000m but as you've guessed, a totally different topography, on the side of a narrow valley that ends a few miles away up against mountains that rise to 3,000m. Black Kites nest a couple of miles downstream so I see them here but the nearest Red Kites I've seen are down near Annecy, a good 30 minutes drive away. I was amazed by last week's migrating Marsh Harrier, so hopefuly I'm being pessimistic about raptor migration here. Definitely no Gannets hereabouts though!
As for selling a house a few days after putting it on the market H, it took us 2 years and 7 months :-C

The rules are quite explicit H!

If a competitor's abode is vacated during a "yard listing year", then in order to maintain one's position in the said competition, one is required to remain in residence until December 31st. Otherwise one forfeits any ''listing" gains that one has accrued during the period prior to departure. I have to assume that your "buyer" will not be prepared to wait that long, irrespective of your protestations that "I might steal a 2017 listing advantage". ;)

PS I hope you got Harpy Eagle....as that would imo be adequate compensation. :t:

If we get the house we want I'll be c.50 metres lower than here, 8 miles east and in a much more sheltered spot with a lot less precipitation.
As for the birds - we shall see.

No, Ken. I only did Luzon & Palawan - no chance of Philippine Eagle.

Offer accepted. Moving (fingers crossed) sometime soonish.

Champagne headache this morning!
Disgraceful ;)
I'm celebrating this am too as the first migrant back from Africa just drifted across our field behind the house:

45 Black Kite

Brenda, that should mean you are seeing them too?

Spring door creaking open as hoped ...very nice, several weeks earlier than some previous years.

All yesterday, steady passage of Skylarks over, one Woodlark dropping in for a while, two flocks of norhtbound Waxwings, flock of 18 settling for a time, first Crane back on territory, one Lapwing over, steady movement of Common Buzzards, one Rough-legged Buzzard in a tree, then mobbed by Hooded Crows, plus Rooks and Jackdaws newly arrived back at the colony ....grand day!

Also first flock of Yellowhammers (about 40) and White-backed Woodpeckers drumming like crazy, Grey-headed Woodpeckers in fine voice.

22. Rough-legged Buzzard
23. Common Crane
24. Lapwing
25. Woodlark
(first since 2014)
26. Skylark
27. Waxwing
28. Jackdaw
29. Rook
30. Yellowhammer

At last!....after finding a female Brambling outback a week ago, and having miserably failed to re-find since, rain forced me back home this morning after a 2 hour traipse. When I got home, I noted interaction between distant silhouetted ''Chaffinches'' atop yonder oak, from bedroom window. A quick raising of the bins resulted in rapid ''swopping'' with camera!....bad grabs but they do the job. no.53. :)

Attachments

• P1440593.jpeg  Brambling 1..jpeg
    P1440593.jpeg Brambling 1..jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 52
  • P1440581.jpeg     Brmblng.3..jpeg
    P1440581.jpeg Brmblng.3..jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 47
Spring door creaking open as hoped ...very nice, several weeks earlier than some previous years.

All yesterday, steady passage of Skylarks over, one Woodlark dropping in for a while, two flocks of norhtbound Waxwings, flock of 18 settling for a time, first Crane back on territory, one Lapwing over, steady movement of Common Buzzards, one Rough-legged Buzzard in a tree, then mobbed by Hooded Crows, plus Rooks and Jackdaws newly arrived back at the colony ....grand day!

Also first flock of Yellowhammers (about 40) and White-backed Woodpeckers drumming like crazy, Grey-headed Woodpeckers in fine voice.

22. Rough-legged Buzzard
23. Common Crane
24. Lapwing
25. Woodlark
(first since 2014)
26. Skylark
27. Waxwing
28. Jackdaw
29. Rook
30. Yellowhammer

A fabulous day! Wow!

Complete and utter frustration !!

Over the last couple of days there have been a flock of 50 waxwings in trees across the park but unfortunately not actually visible from the house. The line of trees are but the birds frustratingly staying on the other side. Went for a good look at them anyways, then just to rub it in, as I was walking back there stood a little Egret in the brook bold as brass. AHA I thought Gotcha. unfortunately although I had the exact spot pinpointed even from the bedroom window I could not get enough elevation to actually see over the flood defence into the ditch and hence the bird. Where are all the dogs off the lead to flush it out when you need them. Despite a good half an hour watching the spot until chores called no show! So two park ticks but nothing to add to my garden list.:-C

Complete and utter frustration !!

Over the last couple of days there have been a flock of 50 waxwings in trees across the park but unfortunately not actually visible from the house. The line of trees are but the birds frustratingly staying on the other side. Went for a good look at them anyways, then just to rub it in, as I was walking back there stood a little Egret in the brook bold as brass. AHA I thought Gotcha. unfortunately although I had the exact spot pinpointed even from the bedroom window I could not get enough elevation to actually see over the flood defence into the ditch and hence the bird. Where are all the dogs off the lead to flush it out when you need them. Despite a good half an hour watching the spot until chores called no show! So two park ticks but nothing to add to my garden list.:-C

Yes....It is often like that but!.....when you connect the spirit will soar....have faith Paul. :t:

30 common buzzard
31 stock dove

buzzard didnt seem too bothered by the corvids and was then joined by a second one but took objection to the remote controlled plane that someone was flying around the park!

Disgraceful ;)
I'm celebrating this am too as the first migrant back from Africa just drifted across our field behind the house:

45 Black Kite

Brenda, that should mean you are seeing them too?

Saw red kite several times last week , will let you know when I see a black kite again. Seeing over 65 birds in garden every day always over 40 house sparrows ,thats just counting a part of back garden and by three feeders. More than two weeks have had very mild very sunny daytime weather but changed this weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back