• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX eyepiece button stuck! (1 Viewer)

Gijs van Ginkel
Only in this thread four owners of the Atx system are sharing the same problem with their eyepiece modules..I can imagine how frustrating must be to buy such an excellent scope and see it develop a faulty bayonet.

Mayoayo, post 21
When we moved to the USA some years ago we decided to buy a new car since we had to move from a university in Michigan to Stanford in California. Our choice was a Dodge Ram 4-wheel drive. Already in Michigan we noticed something strange when drive longer distances. Investigation of the problem showed a rather severe problem with the rear axis. It was replaced in California and functioned well after replacement. Does that mean that all Dodge cars, which did cost us quite a bit more than a new telescope, are not to be trusted? I do not think so. We used the car for quite a time without trouble.
The problems with the ATX can have different causes:
-a- it is a problem of the construction
-b- the construction is not proof to frequent use
-c- users are not using it in a careful way
Whatever is the case one can be sure that Swarovski will solve the case and it most probably will not costs a penny to the user, that can not be said from every company.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'm sorry but if buyers of the ATX system are paying thousands of pounds for equipment that is supposedly designed for rugged, all weather, all temperature, outside use, then a construction fault or frequent use or users not being careful are not excuses. These scopes are supposed to be the best of the best.

Egrets post 23,
That was also our expectation for the Dodge Ram 4-wheel drive we bought, but we were disappointed. life is hard.
Fortunately we from Birdforum are 100% perfect.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs van Ginkel all posts

We know that Swarovski will fix the scopes ,too bad they cant do it locally and the issue is only addressed in Austria with three months turn around..You were lucky that the Dodge was serviced in California and not sent to Detroit to be fixed..¡
There are all kinds of analogies that would have made more sense that your car story..I dont see the point..maybe you should have posted in the wheelforum at the time,and see if other owners had a siimilar problem with their dodges,..As i said before a few users are reporting the same problem..everyone is entitled to draw their own conclussions from this fact and to post them..Being critical of those comments that question The design or patronizing members with comments like "lucky we are all perfect" makes obvious that you are a proud defender of the brand and model,and i am sure you have your reasons..I personally entered the thread to try and offer a humble solution maybe,If it was anything that could be done from the owned side to release the button .You made a list of possible causes to this problem and I agree with you,..but one question..Are there any instructions included with the telescopes that advise the owners not to use the release pin frequently or that instructs them in how to perform the change of eyepiece in a correct manner...One of the seller points of the modular system was compactness and portability,so frequent use was reccomended.......

mayoayo, post 26,
I found my car analogy to the point, but we can of course disagree about that. We bought our car in Michigan by the way and we could have it fixed there but we refused. I agree that there are many analogies to be made and I have no objections to post them here if it is about telescopes or binoculars, but I am a bit allergic when far reaching conlusions are drawn on a few cases only, my shortcoming I realise. Actually I do not have an ATX and I am not looking for one either, I like much more compact and lightweight telescope and Swarovski does not have one that fits my needs, so there is nothing to defend. I work sometimes as a volunteer in a used items shop and one day somebody brought in a Swarovski EL 8x32, the eyecups were turned loose from the body and the owner was of the opinion that it was a worthless instrument and he told us that he would never buy a Swarovski again. A few turns and the instrument was repaired on the spot leaving the owner speechless.. and happy. If that had not occurred the owner would have been a walking negative advertisement for the brand.
In the course of the years I have investigated many binoculars and telescopes form a lot of brands and sometimes I stumbled upon rather strong shortcomings, but in my opinion the royal way is to speak to the company first that makes the binocular/telescope and discuss it. In the internet age that seems to change quickly.
I enjoy the exchange on Birdforum and sometimes I like to make jokes, so the matter does not become too serious.
Gijs van Ginkel

@ Gijs van Ginkel, post 20 onwards:

You are right, one should not draw general conclusions from a single case. But as mentioned actually there are four cases in this thread only.

Moreover and more important to me, in fact I in person own a Swarovski ATX 25-60x65 and the first thing I thought when I assembled the two parts was "Gosh, you shouldn't try it too often!" This was because I did not experience the smooth run and reassuring "Click" I got accustomed to of my Minolta, Contax, Canon cameras but to my surprise the impression of a somewhat inexact and fragile mechanism compared to these camera bayonets. I own only the 65 lens so there is no need for disassembling, hence no problem at all. And when I have to take my ATX to pieces I will do it with due diligence. But I was not surprised to read about those problems so I dared to reason.

And to help that "the matter does not become too serious": The Dodge example was really inept: I never would expect an American car to operate flawlessly... ;-)

Thanks so much for this thread.

I too took the modules of my scope apart for the first time today since buying and assembling it just over a year ago. Now I can't get them to 'click' back together and the button does seem stuck.

ed keeble, I was wondering if you are still using your scope without having the button fixed?

I'm curious as the only reason I took it apart was because I plan to travel with it for the first time and wanted to try it in camera bags in a shop to make sure everything fit ok. Now of course I've decided on a bag that it will fit in all assembled... haha But now I'm worried whether I should be travelling with it, or using it at all, until I can fix the problem? The eye piece does screw on quite tightly and takes some effort to unscrew and take off, even without being clicked in, and I use it with the Swarovski case which snaps together so I think it may be ok to use?

Would love some thoughts from any other ATX owners :)

Hello there

I haven't had mine fixed yet as I use the scope pretty much every day and can't quite bring myself to get hold of a spare scope to cover the x weeks repair window. But I might bite the bullet in July and get it done.

No trouble using it in its current state, but do have to check it and twist it back into position now and again. The eyepiece has fallen off a couple of times when I have not been careful to do that, but the the stay-on cover has caught it which is handy but not ideal! I haven't had any problem taking the two parts of the scope apart to travel (or to dry the interface after extended use in heavy rain) and reassembling it, so no problem for me on the travel front.

So in answer to your question, it doesn't stop me using the scope but it is something I should get fixed.

Best wishes with yours!

Thanks so much for this thread.

ed keeble, I was wondering if you are still using your scope without having the button fixed?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back