• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hides (1 Viewer)

interesting stuff, thanks

- did it feel like you could blow away (did it rustle?)
- could you get a stool in or would you need a hole in the roof
- could you spread your tripod wide enough?
- how woudl you shoot at ground level?

Looks like an option though to me!

EDIT - great idea Ron!

interesting stuff, thanks

- did it feel like you could blow away (did it rustle?)
- could you get a stool in or would you need a hole in the roof
- could you spread your tripod wide enough?
- how woudl you shoot at ground level?

Looks like an option though to me!

EDIT - great idea Ron!

-It wouldn't blow away with you in it so what's the problem! ;) Seriously it might actaully blow away even if pegged down, unless you used the guy lines too which would make it a lot more stable. Oh and unlike my hide which sounds like a crisp packet in the wind (birds don't seem to mind though) this one is silent.
-what do you need a stool for! Sit on the floor with a nice comfy cushion under your bum. Loads more comfy than a stool.
-Yes
-If you're talking about absolute ground level then just open the flap, duh! 3:) Would definitely need some scrim for that though.
I can see we need some more convincing as to it's potential. Don't go away....again!

Oh and Ron don't give him any ideas! Would make for the perfect urban camouflage though. :eek!: ;)

EDIT Now with added pictures! View from outside and in.

Attachments

• Popuptent07.jpg
    Popuptent07.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Popuptent05.jpg
    Popuptent05.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Had an idea! How about a toilet tent from camping stores and fling a camo net over it! Great for using with a monopod and might come in handy if it a long walk to nearest loos LoL
You could cut holes in each side for camera lens too

Here's one I made earlier.
Before getting an Ameristep hide I made this one from the poles of an old beach tent,bought some cheap Realtree netting from the states,hole in the front ,velcro up the back door,run it up - great;it weighs one and a half pounds inc the duffle bag all made for $20.Can't be bad can it. :t:

Attachments

• back of hide.jpg
    back of hide.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 145
  • front of hide 1.jpg
    front of hide 1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 146
  • duffle bag.jpg
    duffle bag.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 130
Before getting an Ameristep hide I made this one from the poles of an old beach tent,bought some cheap Realtree netting from the states,hole in the front ,velcro up the back door,run it up - great;it weighs one and a half pounds inc the duffle bag all made for $20.Can't be bad can it. :t:

That's nice Bob. Also, looked at the ameristep and at nearly two meteres high seems like a phone box - any issues with the height IYO?

That's nice Bob. Also, looked at the ameristep and at nearly two meteres high seems like a phone box - any issues with the height IYO?

Not really Marcus as long as you don't park it in the middle of the greens at Wyke golf club - only kidding.
No most of the terrain where I use it is scrubland which is 2 metres high in most places anyway so it blends in nicely;on the marsh I have my 5 bamboo static hides which the birds accept more readily.

Attachments

• hide.jpg
    hide.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 161
Reminds me of something? Mmmmmmmmmmm I know! "I am a Dalek Exterminate" !!!!!!!!!!!!! LoL

i have the amerstop pop up hide from cabelas and i am really pleased with it
it is light i can assemble it in a minute or two

it has been out in the garden all over winter and looks no worse than when i bought it

I use the same one man chair blind too. Love it. I can move around in the blind and am not seen. It has worked well for small skiddish birds and can be with in 6 to 8 feet with no problem. It is easy to setup/take down and pack away.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back