• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New lens from Canon (1 Viewer)

RoyH

Hello All,

Can anyone come up with the reason why this new lens will not fit the 10D yet it will fit the cheaper 300D.

This is a quote from Warehouse Express.

New EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM

The EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is a high quality , lightweight, all-purpose 'standard' zoom lens. This 5x zoom lens offers the widest range of any lens in this class and features Canon's latest optical Image Stabilizer technology, providing up to 3-stop compensation for image blur caused by camera shake and slow shutter speeds. With superb quality suited to semi-professional use, the lens has a 17
element, 12 group constuction, including one double-sided aspherical element for crisp, high contrast corner-to-corner details
Will fit ONLY Canon EOS 20D and EOS 300D Click Here

Regards,

Roy.

Roy,
That's a question I've seen asked in other photo forums ... no one seems to know why Canon did this .... seems both God, and Canon, move in mysterious ways ....
cheers,
jim

The 20D and 300D have smaller mirrors to accommodate these EF-S lenses.

The 10D and any other EOS body would foul the back of the lens every time the mirror lifted.

They're designed specifically for the sensor-size of these cameras only and would vignette on any larger sensor or 35mm film.

The first of the series was introduced at the same time as the 300D - hence the fact that they won't fit any earlier models as the 300D was the first to include the smaller mirror size

Adey Baker said:
The 20D and 300D have smaller mirrors to accommodate these EF-S lenses.

The 10D and any other EOS body would foul the back of the lens every time the mirror lifted.

They're designed specifically for the sensor-size of these cameras only and would vignette on any larger sensor or 35mm film.

The first of the series was introduced at the same time as the 300D - hence the fact that they won't fit any earlier models as the 300D was the first to include the smaller mirror size

Thanks Adey, for this explaination I guess it will be Canon's loss since I have just recently purchased the 10D. I was just looking for a future purchase of a general purpose lens with IS. I am hooked using IS since I got my Canon 100 - 400L USM IS lens with the 10D.

Regards,

Roy.

I wonder if buying these lenses is agood investment, when full frame digital becomes standard these lenses will be quite useless that's a lot of money to throw away.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back