• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32 vs Meopta Meopro 8x32 (1 Viewer)

black crow

Been looking and reading all day for a 8x32 in the 4-$5.00 range to complement my Meopro 10x32.

I'm reading a lot of good things about the Opticron and I really like the size and weight of this binocular compared to the Meopro. FOV is larger also. Most of the other specs seem close to each other. Never looked through any Opticron binocular. Has anyone here looked at both of these and has an opinion as to the optical quality in comparison to each other? If they are very close optically I'm going to try the Traveller. It's also less expensive by about $80 and the best price I've found on the Traveller is at Redstart Birding which is cool because I just made a thread about missing Eagle Optics and I think one of the main guys from Eagle ( Ben Lizdas) moved over there.

Last edited:
BC
The Traveller BGA ED is a great bino. Better than a Terra and one sits next to my computer monitor so I can grab it to look out of my home office window. I haven't tried a MeoPro yet so can't compare.

Traveller is great value for money and is closer to Conquest/MeoStar/Genesis quality than it is to Terra.

Lee

I have the Zeiss Terra 8x32 handy to my computer....but if you can get either of the others in the 4-$5.00 range go for it....:smoke:

Traveller is great value for money and is closer to Conquest/MeoStar/Genesis quality than it is to Terra.

Sorry Lee, I think that is somewhat gilding the lilly. It's a nice little binocular for the money, but really not in that league IMO.

BC, you should not rely on the Traveller's listed specifications. Unfortuately it's at least three years since I last looked at the Meopro, and I don't know how the current offering might compare optically to the Traveller ED, other than the physical differences of course.

David

BC
The Traveller BGA ED is a great bino. Better than a Terra and one sits next to my computer monitor so I can grab it to look out of my home office window. I haven't tried a MeoPro yet so can't compare.

Lee

That sounds excellent Lee. I was hoping for that. I looked at Terra but I didn't hear that it was that great. I'm sure it's a decent binocular however but I think the Traveller is what i'm looking for.

Sorry Lee, I think that is somewhat gilding the lilly. It's a nice little binocular for the money, but really not in that league IMO.

BC, you should not rely on the Traveller's listed specifications. Unfortuately it's at least three years since I last looked at the Meopro, and I don't know how the current offering might compare optically to the Traveller ED, other than the physical differences of course.

David

Yes I realized that when I saw specs all over the place. I'm guessing Redbird Optics which is a new venture has it right. I can't get over how difficult it can be to get accurate specs on binoculars. If I didn't know better, and I don't, it would seem deliberate.

I have not seen the Opticron, but optically the MeoPro is just fine - I only got rid of mine due to issues with eye placement. I do recall some minor glare issues, though not to the extent of the 8x32 SV. If you like the characteristics and optics of the 10x32 MeoPro I'd just go ahead and jump on the 8x32. I thought they were every bit the equivalent of the 8x32 Zeiss Conquest HD, so at the current price I'd argue they are something of a steal (so long as they work with your eyes). Reading through Gijs' reports/comments regarding the 8/10x42 (for my own needs), it seems his data and observations concur with my thoughts.

Justin

Last edited:
I just ordered the Opticron. They had an incorrect price on their website but insisted on giving it to me along with their Grand Opening Discount so I got these guys for About $331. Not bad!

BTW I notice the glare issues in the Meopro also and while eye placement is not optimal it's not a deal breaker for me. I like them well enough to keep but not well enough to not try something else.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back