• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscope Quandry (1 Viewer)

tatasta

Hello,

Obviously, I am as new as one could possibly be to the site. I do, however, have limited experience with optics and forums. I am a huge procrastinator and often a salesperson's dream (meaning I can get hung up on bells and whistles.. ie ED lenses, coatings, etc,).

I bought a used Fieldscope that was advertised as a model 6930. A 6930, according to Nikon specs, is a 60mm angled scope with ED lenses. When the scope showed up, it turned out to be an older 60mm Fieldscope II model which is is in exceptional condition. It also came with a very good tripod, scope cover and zoom eyepiece.

The question is, should I be upset that it was misrepresented, or should I be pleased with what appears to be a good scope? As mentioned before, it was sold as a 6930. I worked hard to get the money together for a scope that was good enough to last me a lifetime. I am sure the Fieldscope II non ED is a good piece but is it good enough to meet my expectations? Again, it was a good price.

Thanks
-Robert

If it was represented as an ED scope, and you thought you were buying an ED scope, then you have every right to be upset. ED glass in spotting scopes makes a big difference for visual and digiscoping.

I'd be sending it back, if it were me this happened to.

Me too, I've worked in optics as well as being a birder for many years and subject to affordability, most would opt for a high definition or ED glass model when choosing to buy a telescope...the difference is there to see. Send it back.

Hello,

Obviously, I am as new as one could possibly be to the site. I do, however, have limited experience with optics and forums. I am a huge procrastinator and often a salesperson's dream (meaning I can get hung up on bells and whistles.. ie ED lenses, coatings, etc,).

I bought a used Fieldscope that was advertised as a model 6930. A 6930, according to Nikon specs, is a 60mm angled scope with ED lenses. When the scope showed up, it turned out to be an older 60mm Fieldscope II model which is is in exceptional condition. It also came with a very good tripod, scope cover and zoom eyepiece.

The question is, should I be upset that it was misrepresented, or should I be pleased with what appears to be a good scope? As mentioned before, it was sold as a 6930. I worked hard to get the money together for a scope that was good enough to last me a lifetime. I am sure the Fieldscope II non ED is a good piece but is it good enough to meet my expectations? Again, it was a good price.

Thanks
-Robert

I agree that you have every right to feel upset, especially as it's an investment for future enjoyment and you were aiming for 'as good as you could get'. If it were me, I'd try the scope in low light conditions and see if the chromatic aberation (CA) is noticeable (i.e. check whether there's haloing around objects, like branches of trees etc). I notice the difference between my ED scope and non-ED/HD binoculars - the bins have very noticeable CA in low light.

If you know you can afford a genuine 6930 then I'd return the 'fake' and get the ED glass.
Good luck
Hobbes

Last edited:
I would think that all this would depend on how "good" a price it was and how good a tripod came with it and what eyepieces. I just looked online and they list the Nikon number for 60ED angled 8340 and my old 2000 Nikon catalog lists the number as 7396 , in this catalog they show the Fieldscope 78ED to get an idea.

Saying all this I get a feeling that Robert would feel better sending it back. Good luck with all this.

Forgot to say welcome to BF Robert.
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Hello Robert,
On behalf of the staff, another welcome to the Birdforum. The Fieldscope III is a wonderful scope, compact, waterproof, rugged, and great optics. I've had the ED 60 angled for about 7 years and love it. I'm not sure on the Fieldscope II, but know you would be happy with the Fieldscope III.

Welcome Robert,
I agree with Dave. I bought the ED111 60mm straight eight days ago, and it was wonderful at Red Rocks on the Dee Estuary last Friday, and later at Inner Marsh Farm when the light was fading. I was the only one of our group with ED, and it makes a lot of difference.

The FS11 did get a good write-up, guess it depends how much you paid, and what you want? - but if you expected an ED, then maybe that is what you should go for.

Geoff

Sounds like bait-and-switch to me, so I'd return it (and demand the seller pay/reimburse all shipping charges) for that reason alone.

To be tempted to keep this scope, the price would have to be extremely good. You didn't share the price, or which zoom the scope came with, but I can tell you that the nonED Fieldscope III (which, unlike your scope, is waterproof, fully multicoated, and has a built-in extendable hood) has been available, new, complete with 20-45x zoom and case, for $410 on an on/off basis for the past couple years.

The Fieldscope II (nonED version) is a wonderful, rock-solid scope that will last a lifetime (I keep a Fieldscope I on a car window mount as a bang-around piece for quick IDs), but I don't consider it good enough to be a "one and only" for anyone who purports to be an optics fanatic or any birder who wants a scope that can perform in the full range of conditions typically encountered while birding. With respect to meeting that standard, the critical flaw in this scope is chromatic aberration. In comparison to the Fieldscope III ED (which I would endorse as a possible lifetime one and only), and to the ED50, chromatic aberration is quite apparent, even at ~30x. In the center of the field at 30x, the CA probably doesn't compromise the view significantly (that is, probably doesn't undermine one's ability to make identifications), but at higher powers it surely does. I wouldn't settle for a 60mm scope that can't deliver clean views at 60x.

--AP

Wow...

Thank you for all of the replies. I am surprised how much support I have received in such a short time. It is great to get so many opinions from qualified and experienced people.

It seems that the overall theme from everyone is that the Fieldscope II is a good item but certainly is not comparable to the 60mm III ED. The price, by the way, was $399. The tripod is actually a very good one. I looked around on the internet and looks like it is worth ~ $125 with the Velbon head, four section legs and leg pads and fabric covers (not sure what they are called).

I think I will send it back, though. If I don't send it back, I don't think I will ever put the effort and money together again to upgrade to a better scope.

My uses for the scope will be hunting, spotting for my long range shooting hobby and my wife and I like viewing all types of wildlife.

My mind is made up. It will be headed back to its previous owner tomorrow.

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thank you all.
-Robert

"for $410 on an on/off basis for the past couple years."

Alexis where have you seen the 20-45X 60mm Fieldscopes for $410, all I ever see is something like $700-$800?

Hello again,

I have found a deal on a Nikon 82ED model 7555 with a "new" 25-75x MCII Zoom Eyepiece. I can't find much info on the 7555 model but for ~ $900 (used) it seems that it would be a good buy.

Any thoughts??

Thank you

Also,I am curious about that price, as well. I would be interested if I could a deal like that.

I have found a deal on a Nikon 82ED model 7555 with a "new" 25-75x MCII Zoom Eyepiece. I can't find much info on the 7555 model but for ~ $900 (used) it seems that it would be a good buy.

Any thoughts??

I could find no reference to the 7555 # on Nikon's site but it sounds like the 82mm Fieldscope. There are many fans of that scope on this site, for good reason. If it's an angled body, and you decide you don't want it, send me a PM with the info as I'll probably buy it :t:

Well, the quandary has been quickly resolved. I sent the FS II back. The seller seemed very good about it and asked for info about it so it can be accurately re-listed.

I went ahead and pulled the proverbial trigger on the all but brand new 7555 FS III ED 82 angled with a 25-75 MC eyepiece and covers. Picked them up for $850. How do you all think I fared? I feel very good about the whole deal. The seller was very good about the sale. Now just need to get it and see how "new" it really is. The pics look great.

Next quandary. Does anyone have suggestions for a sturdy, light and effective compact tripod that would be good for hunting/hiking? Does not absolutely need to extend to full standing position. It would be very handy if the quick release plate would also work on a window mount.

Thanks to all for the assistance!

Hi
Have been pleased with the Velbon LuxiM and the 157 head, light, easy to set up and fold, stows small thanks to 4 section legs. An excellent value at about $150 at B&H in NYC, but probably only adequate for your FS 82, which is a hefty scope.
Do not have input on a window mount, sorry.

So long as there's nothing amiss w/the particular unit (always a possibility, but I don't mean to imply you have a priori cause to be concerned), that seems a fine price for a very nice scope. I recommend giving the 30x MC or DS eyepiece a try some time as well.

For a scope this big, when it comes to getting sturdy and light in a tripod, you either have to go with a very short tripod (used in a sitting position), or with carbon fiber (expensive, but very much worth it for lots of reasons apart from weight--vibration damping and nice to handle in cold among them). The Velbon Ultra mentioned above is workable with a 50ED but not the 82ED, except when used at sitting height. You also need a real (i.e. solid and well made) tripod head of the video panning variety.

Here are my recommendations. I realize the cost of the following is substantial even though these are not boutique parts choices (such as the beautiful creations of Really Right Stuff), but I'm not sure anything less will get the job done. It's common for folks to balk at spending on camera or scope support (tripods etc) but this is not a good place to cheap out. Get something good, that is well designed and manufactured, and it will be a joy to use and will last you a lifetime (just as your scope should).

For tripod legs: If full 6 foot height isn't important, a medium weight carbon fiber model with flip locks for leg adjustment, such as this Manfrotto model or something equivalent:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0CX3_190CX3_Carbon_Fiber_Tripod.html#features
If you can't afford CF right now, go with an aluminum equivalent of this same class of tripod:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...190XDB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html#specifications

For tripod head: Manfrotto 700RC2 is hard to beat in this weight class, and the quick release orientation/type is the same as for the car window mount set-up I describe below, so you can interchange the scope from one to the other in a few seconds.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=700RC2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

For car window mount: If you are just viewing, and not doing photography, a simple model will suffice. Get one that has an upper platform that is the same dimension as a the quick release platform I reference below. The one I have been using since 1992 is still available (see below) but there are probably equivalents that are a bit cheaper. Here's what I use:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=froogle&cm_pla=1710602&cm_ite=0006873710123a

To allow quick exchanges between the tripod head and car window mount, get the following. When attached to the window mount referenced above, a protrusion of the lever pivot just happens to be in the right place so that it cannot rotate and thus loosen itself once they are connected (buy them and you'll see what I mean--a very tiny amount of filing of the window mount platform is necessary for the two parts to mate flush with one another). Here's the part:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...y_Bogen_Imaging_323_323_RC2_System_Quick.html

Last but not least, I only use quick release plates that prevent rotation. I use the following (after some custom modification to remove unnecessary metal--but it is perfectly functional as is) with my setup:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...PLARCH_14_Architectural_Anti_Twist_Quick.html
Or, if you prefer, here's a more expensive version that is compatible with the parts I've described above.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...200USS_200USS_Universal_Anti_Twist_Quick.html

Best wishes,

AP

Last edited:
Window Pod

Hi all:

i know this looks a bit pricey, but it is absolutely PERFECT with the 82ED:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04XNTGFAR5D3GA6CQK28

what is amazing is the fact the scope (w/ 30X fixed ocular) balances so well that i hardly have to tighten the altitude clamp at all; the whole rig fairly floats when perpendicular to the ground, and requires just the slightest bit of twist to keep the scope from tipping when gazing upward from that position.

this outfit is rock solid, w/ very little vibration or wobble- unlike the nikon one i had for many years, when the clamps are cinched down there is no flex, the scope stays where it's pointed.

most of my scoping these days w/ the 82Ed is done w/ this rig, just drive and point, it's so great!

highly recommended,

kind regards,
UTC

Thank you guys for all of the recommendations. All of those items look great. I was really hoping to find a quick release setup that would allow easy transfer from tripod to window mount. Looks like it will be easy to put that together. I found a couple items that appear good to me. I will get some info and pics up so you guys can tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Well, I'm back again...

I just received my "used" Nikon 82mm ED angled scope with the 25-75x eyepiece. It showed up in the original box with the eyepiece pouch, all lens/eyepiece covers and the very impressive Nikon view through protective cover. It appears that the only thing that is missing is the shoulder strap that attaches to the cover. No big deal, but I plan to ask the seller if he still has it and can send it.

As for the condition for everything, everything is pristine. There is not a single scratch or fleck of paint missing on the entire scope and the covers are all perfect. I would say that it is all in better condition than a "lightly shown" floor model...damn, I'm happy!!! Heck of a deal for $875.

Does anyone have feedback on the Velbon El Carmagne 540 Tripod? It is a lower priced carbon fiber tripod and will come with a Velbon 3 way pan.

Or the Velbon Sherpa 888R??

Thanks in advance!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back